Romantic Reylo AKA the Who's Your Daddy Thread

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Re: Romantic Reylo AKA the Who's Your Daddy Thread

Post by Apriljandy on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 5:51 pm

I think the mirror cave saw right through Rey's pretense of asking who her parents were, when really, the thing she wanted to ask was probably her belonging. Cue Maz's words "the belonging you seek..."

Rey already knew her parents, she already knew they abandoned her, and the scene prior to that was shirtless Kylo telling her to let go of her parents.

She saw Kylo in the mirror cave, and she found it hard to accept that it was him she saw because they are standing on opposite sides, how on earth can they be together?

In the novel it said she felt a surge of relief when she saw Ben sitting beside her, that's because of the earlier revelation that Ben is her belonging. When Ben promised himself to Rey by saying she's not alone, that triggered her. She goes for it, gives it a try, tells him it's never too late and then the hand touch happens. Makes sense.

Apriljandy
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 9:32 am

For anyone interested, Den of Nerds put out another Reylo video, he is VERY passionate about Reylo in this one. The vid is aimed at the haters of Reylo.

Riri
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 9:48 am

@Riri wrote:For anyone interested, Den of Nerds put out another Reylo video, he is VERY passionate about Reylo in this one. The vid is aimed at the haters of Reylo.

@Riri

I love how he already thinks Rey is preggers lmao!
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 9:48 am

@Riri reasoning with the haters is like talking to the walls Smile
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 9:50 am

@rey09

Lmao the preggers thing was a bit weird, he's convinced Rey is preggers from the hand touch scene and he says its not that weird since Shmi got preggerz by the Force lol!

Riri
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 10:20 am

@Riri wrote:@rey09

Lmao the preggers thing was a bit weird, he's convinced Rey is preggers from the hand touch scene and he says its not that weird since Shmi got preggerz by the Force lol!
@Riri

Yeah, I don't think she's pregnant rofl but he's got a point.
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 4:59 pm

The Den of Nerds folk have some strange thoughts about Reylo, like how they still think Kylo is power-hungry and will be a very cruel leader. And yeah, I remember one of their earliest Reylo vids had a theory about how she could get pregnant. I applaud them for referencing the Death and the Maiden trope a number of times through their videos even if they don't fully understand some of the cinematic/literary/mythological influences on the ST. At first they were doubtful if Kylo would have a redemption arc or live, but they've been coming around.

They've made SO many Reylo videos beginning right before TLJ, and they got super passionate about it afterwards. Even if some of their understanding of it is a little off, they're lke a beacon of light in the angry, ignorant darkness of mainstream SW fanboy-dom.
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 6:58 pm

@snufkin wrote:Those are great essays, especially in getting to the heart of their interest/pull towards each other. These are two people under different circumstances would have immediately connected and been close with one another. I do have the quibble that her motive for going to Luke is prompted by Ben/Kylo, but it runs deeper than just wanting a boy. The boy is, by virtue of his empathy/common childhood trauma/shared special powers, is a big part of the catalyst which forces her out of the life she's been trapped in, and continues to trap herself in, because of what her parents did to her. But it's larger than just "You need a boyfriend," it's about coming to terms with what happened to her, who she is, what she really wants out of life if she can confront/overcome her trauma, her responsibility with these powers, her nature of wanting to do right/help people, and yes also what he means to her. And the anger at him is definitely more how he, somebody who intrigues her and who she identifies with, could do that to his father? They each have that question about the other and the breakup is in realizing how they handle their reaction to the experience of parental rejection is diametrically different.

There's been an ongoing discussion here about referencing period pieces and the Golden Age of Hollywood/Hayes Code for how they managed to convey romance and sexuality and boy did the glove removal make me think that's coded for sex/romance

And hop in the wayback machine to the summer of 2016 for one of the best posts ever here, by @Darth Dementor

@Darth Dementor wrote:It's coded language, like Victorian writers used all the time.  Star Wars is a family movies aimed at children and adults.

Writers like Stevenson, Dickens, Stoker, and Henry James were well versed in subliminal themes because they had to be.  During their time they couldn't out and out talk about sex and sexuality due to the social constraints of their era.  They used ghosts, vampires, werewolves,  potions/serums, mental illness, etc, etc to address them and other areas of man's duality and common reality.

Most importantly coding sex in the background allows for higher and multiple levels; often being more intense and memorable than seeing the act itself.  One of the most famous examples? The kiss scene in From Here to Eternity:

Writers want to put in concepts to keep adults intrested while still allowing kids to be able to watch along with them.  It also gives grown folks an out to pretend they didn't see the subtext and laugh about it at later.

So yes, when Kylo ignited his saber after Rey used the force it was referring to him being aroused.  Absolutely the interrogation scene is a metaphor for them having sex.  A PG-13 movie can't show two people getting it on, so it was the closest way a Star Wars movie could show the audience without getting an R rating.   This way the story could tell us what is really going without the kids asking about the "birds and the bees" after its over.

Speaking of the Hayes Code, despite arguments that it repressed depictions of women and sex, it actually forced filmmakers to be creative and to show instead of telling (also read Anna Biller's Let's Stop Calling Movies Feminist about how Pre-Code and Hayes Era films were paradoxically better for women versus contemporary cinema ). Here's another old post from the months after TFA's release that I remember posting during the discussion (and page starts with a discussion about how Peter Weir is a master of this technique, especially in his films like The Year of Living Dangerously and Witness)

Also in terms of sex not having to be overt, a lot of you have mentioned GwtW as a classic favorite, which was made here in the States under the Hayes Code, which restricted how sex could be depicted in movies. Han and Leia were meant as an homage to the classic Howard Hawks couples in movies like His Girl Friday, made during that era. I just got the latest issue of the New Yorker, which talks about how the restrictions for the sake of "public morality" (during the same crusading era when we also had Prohibition), actually made for more geniune/stronger roles for women and far more sexy interplay between the male/female leads. It's a pretty interesting read, although I'm biased because it singles out my all time favorite on screen couple, Nick and Nora Charles (Myrna Loy 4EVA) from the Thin Man.

Sex and Sexier
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/05/02/what-the-hays-code-did-for-women

Censorship can cripple, inhibit, and destroy, but, in forcing artists to invent, it can liberate, too. Now that it scarcely exists, we can see that we may have lost as much as we’ve won...If sexual frankness disappeared, tawdriness went with it, and the old fables of domination were replaced by a new creation: the couple, two people matched in beauty and talent who enjoy each other’s company more than anything else in the world. There was actually a perfect transitional movie, “The Thin Man,” from the Dashiell Hammett novel, shot very quickly, in early 1934, and released just before the Code went into effect. Nick and Nora Charles (William Powell and Myrna Loy), a wealthy couple, drink their way through the day and solve a complicated murder case when they feel like it. Powell, with his clipped mustache, his deep voice, his invariable suit, tie, and hat, and his perfect indifference to everything but Myrna Loy, was a generation’s ideal of American suavity. Loy, tall and elegant, had music in her voice, a mocking inquisitiveness that became an informal, American-style version of irony. The film’s screenwriters, Albert Hackett and Frances Goodrich, a married couple, elaborated on Hammett’s dialogue, which itself was a worked-up version of the drink-fuelled back-and-forth of the writer and Lillian Hellman, his longtime girlfriend. When Nick and Nora are with other people, they speak to each other in telegraphic gestures and put-ons. Sex has never been more beautifully displaced.
@snufkin

Funny thing that Rian Johnson really seems to love old movies.

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 7:15 pm

@bashfulblueeyes3 Oh haha, yes he does. Which is part of what makes it appropriate he worked on TLJ b/c SW itself from the first movie was a metahomage to various classic genres and directors. And the glove removal isn't random, either within the context of the story, or within film history. That's a pretty deliberate meaning because of The Age of Innocence scene. Especially being between two people who know that they shouldn't have those feelings for one another given their social stations/divides, but which are because they're so compatible with one another.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Tue 03 Apr 2018, 5:56 pm

Excellent video about the sexual imagery and how that ties into Rey's spiritual journey.

The narrator has such a soothing voice too.

Riri
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 on Tue 03 Apr 2018, 9:53 pm

By Wit and Folly. I follow her on Twitter. She has some other interesting videos. I believe she is new a Reylo.

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 9:01 pm

Any Office fans? I love what Jenna Fischer says here about chemistry.

"chemistry is when you have to work the least to be most authentic as your character." I wonder how this work with Adam and Daisy. I think it goes very well for Kylo and Rey and so many epic couples.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 9:08 pm

@rey09
@rey09 wrote:Any Office fans? I love what Jenna Fischer says here about chemistry.

"chemistry is when you have to work the least to be most authentic as your character." I wonder how this work with Adam and Daisy. I think it goes very well for Kylo and Rey and so many epic couples.

@rey09

I love this quote, I just watched this clip a few days ago and definitely thought about Reylo flower
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 9:18 pm

@SheLitAFire wrote:@rey09
@rey09 wrote:Any Office fans? I love what Jenna Fischer says here about chemistry.

@rey09

I love this quote, I just watched this clip a few days ago and definitely thought about Reylo flower
@SheLitAFire

=D I was nodding my head like yes yes!!!!
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 23 May 2018, 11:34 am

I don't know if anyone has watched the PBS series Victoria, but I started watching last night, and Prince Albert is giving me some serious Kylo vibes ... and if the Reylo proposal and Reylo hidden make-out scenes played like Victoria, it wouldn't be so bad at all, lol.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Wed 23 May 2018, 9:51 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:I don't know if anyone has watched the PBS series Victoria, but I started watching last night, and Prince Albert is giving me some serious Kylo vibes ... and if the Reylo proposal and Reylo hidden make-out scenes played like Victoria, it wouldn't be so bad at all, lol.
@SoloSideCousin

Haha Albert is such a sweetie! They def. have similar intensity. I love their relationship, I watch the show really just to see that and can totally see reylo being like that (ahem aside from being actual first cousins XD). They're not afraid to be blunt and honest with one another and still maintain a warmth/gentleness around each other.
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Thu 24 May 2018, 1:36 am

@rey09

Jim & Pam's relationship is part of what made the early run of The Office so great. It was there but not shoved in the audience's face. It was giving time to breathe and develop naturally. It's why it went over so well and the fans got behind it.

Back to top Go down

Kier/Qi'ra (Brain on overthinking overload!)

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Fri 25 May 2018, 1:38 am

Hello! New to this forum, and I am a Reylo fan! I lack meta writing skills; moreover, I am probably overthinking this aspect. I truly welcome insight, including - informing me if I am completely off the rails.

In 'Leia: Princess of Alderaan' Kier is Leia's first love. In 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' we discover Qi'ra is Han's first love. The names seem parallels of each other...and I cannot escape the thought the Lucasfilm Story Group wants us to see something there...but what??! Ugh

Kier dies, and Qi'ra proceeds on her own path, which seems more on the side of evil, yet if there will be a Forces of Destiny based on her, maybe not (that will air soon, so I probably will need to greatly revise myself soon).

A part of me wonders if Ben and Rey will have a happily ever after that is bittersweet? By that...technically - Rose and Jack in Titanic have a romantic happily ever after, yet on paper - they are dead, hence bittersweet. ??

I am hoping those with meta wisdom, archetypes, myths can help to explain this if I am onto something, and if not...let's quiet my brain! Help!
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Fri 25 May 2018, 2:06 am

Welcome @SW_Heroine_Journey !

@SW_Heroine_Journey wrote:Hello! New to this forum, and I am a Reylo fan! I lack meta writing skills; moreover, I am probably overthinking this aspect. I truly welcome insight, including - informing me if I am completely off the rails.

In 'Leia: Princess of Alderaan' Kier is Leia's first love.  In 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' we discover Qi'ra is Han's first love.  The names seem parallels of each other...and I cannot escape the thought the Lucasfilm Story Group wants us to see something there...but what??! Ugh

Kier dies, and Qi'ra proceeds on her own path, which seems more on the side of evil, yet if there will be a Forces of Destiny based on her, maybe not (that will air soon, so I probably will need to greatly revise myself soon).

A part of me wonders if Ben and Rey will have a happily ever after that is bittersweet?  By that...technically - Rose and Jack in Titanic have a romantic happily ever after, yet on paper - they are dead, hence bittersweet.  ??  

I am hoping those with meta wisdom, archetypes, myths can help to explain this if I am onto something, and if not...let's quiet my brain! Help!
@SW_Heroine_Journey

I don't know about meta writing skills..lol... I just like exploring existing canon and ideas.. maybe someone else can direct you to the 'meta' you are after.
There is a theme of reverse Anakin/Padme going on with Rey and Kylo/Ben - which maybe you would be interested in.. there is a reverse Anidala thread about this topic: http://www.reyloskyforum.net/t259-so-what-is-reverse-anidala-and-how-do-you-see-it-playing-out-in-the-next-two-movies

There's a positive thoughts about reylo thread that you might like to read too - see here: http://www.reyloskyforum.net/t740-positive-thoughts-for-ix-the-reylo-edition
the thread is basically reasons why we'll get a happy ending Very Happy

For what it's worth.. I'll share my view of what is ahead, just speaking from the gut here.. I'm no expert meta writer...
my view is we'll get a happy ending for Rey and Kylo/Ben - and Ben will be redeemed.
This is the conclusion of the whole of the Skywalker saga, the struggles of the whole family would be too tragic if we don't get a happy ending.
Ben is the last living Skywalker so I don't see him dying... and too similar to Vader's redemption.
I also don't see Rey dying as she's the main protagonist.. and it's too similar IMHO to what happened with Ventress..
Rey and Kylo/Ben both need to live - as they together balance each other - and likely somehow bring balance to the galaxy.. so for me it doesn't make sense for one to live and the other to die. They could both die, but ugh. too similar to Rogue One.. tee hee..
And.. I think reverse Anidala will be a satisfying conclusion - aka romantic love will bring about healing and peace in the galaxy.

What is everyone else's gut telling them? bounce
DeeBee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Fri 25 May 2018, 6:15 am

We'll simply move this thread from the Episode IX subforum to Takodana Woods since this is about the books and anthology films. Smile

ETA: Heh, my mistake, misread some stuff, this will be merged with the Romantic Reylo thread for more people to view thia.Smile
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Fri 25 May 2018, 7:18 am

Thank you! I want Reylo, and Ben Redemption...if anything, I actually am thinking a Beauty and the Beast type ending at the most with sadness, yet I noticed the names of the previous loves of Leia and Han...and wondered....what does it all mean Lucasfilm Story Group? lol....and if nothing, cool. Very Happy
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Fri 25 May 2018, 7:25 am

The Kier/Qi'Ra and Romantic Reylo threads have been merged together to increase visibility for all posts. Smile
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 25 May 2018, 6:44 pm

I just saw Solo and one thing about Qi'ra is that what they did with her reminded me of @MeadowofAshes' evergreen comment that if the genders were flipped, we'd be hearing a completely different tune than "he's just an evil emo space brat who needs to keep away from Rey because she's a role model and I hope he ends up getting punished/dying."
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Fri 25 May 2018, 6:52 pm

@snufkin wrote:I just saw Solo and one thing about Qi'ra is that what they did with her reminded me of @MeadowofAshes' evergreen comment that if the genders were flipped, we'd be hearing a completely different tune than "he's just an evil emo space brat who needs to keep away from Rey because she's a role model and I hope he ends up getting punished/dying."
@snufkin

The Ben and Qi'Ra being groomed parallels were pretty obvious, but I expect haters to ignore them as usual Laughing
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 25 May 2018, 6:58 pm

@rawpowah Of course they will, the same fans gushing over her absolutely HATE him and want to keep him as far away as possible from Rey and keep her as a blank virginal vessel for female empowerment. The franchise won't ever overtly go there, but both characters were absolutely groomed by Snoke and Vos.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum