I Now Pronounce You, Rey and Kylo. (Our Reylo Weddings)

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: I Now Pronounce You, Rey and Kylo. (Our Reylo Weddings)

Post by snufkin on Mon 14 May 2018, 11:06 am

@Kessel I think you’re right that if they follow the Rule of Three, there will be another proposal with a far different outcome.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Mon 14 May 2018, 11:14 am

@snufkin wrote:I kinda want an homage to The Graduate, where Rey gets pressured into getting engaged to Poe because that's what the "good" fans want and he's Mr Ersatz Han Solo. Except that Supreme Leader Kylo Ren crashes the wedding and shouts "RRRRREEEEEEEYYYY" from the balcony, chaos ensues, he decks Poe for being a condescending mansplaining d*ck, and then he and Rey run off together with the "what do we do next?" expression on the Falcon and that's the end of the ST.

@snufkin

Hello darkness, my old friend.......
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 14 May 2018, 12:04 pm

@Piper Maru haha, now I’m imagining the Snoke told Ben (same name!) to look into plastics.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Mon 14 May 2018, 3:02 pm

@snufkin wrote:I kinda want an homage to The Graduate, where Rey gets pressured into getting engaged to Poe because that's what the "good" fans want and he's Mr Ersatz Han Solo. Except that Supreme Leader Kylo Ren crashes the wedding and shouts "RRRRREEEEEEEYYYY" from the balcony, chaos ensues, he decks Poe for being a condescending mansplaining d*ck, and then he and Rey run off together with the "what do we do next?" expression on the Falcon and that's the end of the ST.

@snufkin

I think you're my spirit animal lol. I love this so much.Razz  I'm still mildly worried about Rey's little "exchange" with Poe at the end of TLJ, but that's another topic.
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Mon 14 May 2018, 3:30 pm

@Tex I wouldn't worry. She seemed totally disinterested in him in the comics while he acted like a overly-confident a**. I wouldn't put it past Poe to flirt with Rey, or try to start something, but it's not going to go anywhere. It would be odd for a love triangle to crop up in the last act of a story. They just met at the end of act II!

Last edited by californiagirl on Mon 14 May 2018, 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Mon 14 May 2018, 3:46 pm

@californiagirl wrote:@Tex I wouldn't worry. She seemed totally disinterested in him in the comics while he acted like a overly-confident a**. I wouldn't put it past Poe to flirt with Rey, or try to start something, but it's going to go anywhere. It would be odd for a love triangle to crop up in the last act of a story. They just met at the end of act II!
@californiagirl

That crossed my mind, but I just posted over in another thread about this HERE. I think he's going to end up being her foil. Similar to the Hux and Kylo dynamic in a way. He'll charm her for sure, but will other intentions in mind.
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 14 May 2018, 8:59 pm

@Tex You've been missed !!!

As I said up thread, I just find it amusing that when it comes to a certain type of fan, they're suddenly eager post-TLJ to match make Rey with somebody she's only exchanged two words with. Because supposedly the guy who gets nearly the entire Resistance killed thanks to disrespecting, condescending to and attempting to undermine the woman in charge because he thought he can do the job better is somehow enlightened and supportive.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Tue 15 May 2018, 10:06 am

@snufkin

Ahh, I've missed you too! Your quips and insightful discussion never ceases to bring a smile to my face or make me laugh. We're only a few months out from Ep. IX filming and I'm ready to jump down the rabbit hole again, into the wonderland that is this forum. cheers

OMG, yes, Poe is a mess and even though he did grow as a character in TLJ I feel he's got so much more to do. His distortion of the 'spark' speech is proof that he still doesn't get it. And I can't see him deferring to Rey for any kind of guidance. He's going to think that he knows best. He wants to snuff out all of the First Order, there's no peaceful resolution in his mind. And geezus he got everyone killed in TLJ, that's not ok people!
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Tue 15 May 2018, 10:59 am

Ok, so back to the main topic at hand. Our Reylo wedding ideas, if there is a wedding, one kernel of an idea, brought to you by the ending of TLJ novelization is this...just stay with me...Soooo, the excerpt with the frog nun. Kinda random right? Her musing about making everything ready for the next potential tenants. My thoughts are that if there is a wedding then it happens on Ahch-To. My reasoning, not only is the planet extremely hard to find, but it's remote, has a deep connection to the force, lots of ying/yang symbolism etc. Plus, housing for a family to grow Cool . It would be like Adam and Eve returning to paradise.

Have the ceremony in front/near the force tree, and guess what, it's sprouting new grow. There's balance in the force. And since the island is so force sensitive you can have force ghosts popping up in the background if you want. Have Chewy be there, R2, lots of porgs and some frog nuns (you know them nuns love to party Wink) and this can give you call backs to all the endings. ANH (chewy to the right of Ben, R2 to the left of Rey) AOTC (a shot of Ben reaching his hand out to grab Rey's hand mid vows) and ROTJ (force ghosts present). The final shot could be them holding hands looking out over the water (another AOTC callback).

Is this a dream scenario? FOR SURE, but a girl can dream Very Happy
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 15 May 2018, 12:35 pm

@Tex Aw, the feeling is mutual!

I'm not sure what they'll do with Poe because he is a mess and has a parallel plot to Ben -- brash reckless ambitious upstart caused the destruction of his side and death of key leader yet manages to come out on top. But because he's on the good guys' side, Poe's the one who's supposedly admirable. I mean at least give Ben a slight edge for killing Snoke partly because of his feelings for Rey and wanting to protect her. But both of them pretty much wiped out their organizations and IX will be starting with an open chess board.

As for the wedding, I vote for an eloping to Space Las Vegas. We know that the frog nuns probably gave Rey a bad review on her Space Airbnb guest profile for being rude and destructive during her visit to Ache-to. Even more so because she and that Solo boy trashed two of the historic Jedi huts with their Force shenanigans.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Tue 15 May 2018, 12:52 pm

@snufkin

When I read your thoughts on Poe and Kylo, I heard a little voice in my head Shocked Laughing

Oh, I totally forgot that Rey pissed off the space nuns. Dang it, hmm. There goes that pipe dream lol. I don't know if Ben would be a Space Las Vegas elopement kind of guy. They should elope for sure. Screw everyone else, they have each other now. Uncle Chewy is the only one who's been there for either of them.
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Tue 15 May 2018, 1:10 pm

Rey can wear this to the engagement party. Approves
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 15 May 2018, 1:44 pm

@Tex That's why I hope that the whole "when the time comes, you'll stand with me" line is foreshadowing for IX the way "Briiiiinnnggg herrrrr toooo meeeee" was for TLJ so that we get sekrit space nerd Skype trysts and what happened in the Throne Room comes out in the open and causing all sorts of drama for both sides. My best guess is that by the end of IX, the remnants of both sides, Imperial and Old/New Republic are going to be burned away along with factions like LS/DS because the galaxy needs a new way forward.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Tue 15 May 2018, 2:04 pm

@snufkin wrote:I hope that the whole "when the time comes, you'll stand with me" line is foreshadowing for IX the way "Briiiiinnnggg herrrrr toooo meeeee" was for TLJ so that we get sekrit space nerd Skype trysts and what happened in the Throne Room comes out in the open and causing all sorts of drama for both sides.

hehehe yessssss, bring on the drama. I crave the drama!

Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 15 May 2018, 2:12 pm

@Tex This is why I don't get all of the comments from fans and various entertainment writers of "Welp Kylo's just gonna be the big bad boring bad guy villain in IX who faces off against the Beautiful Friendship Gang." Like really, that's the plot of god knows how many blockbuster movies out there or TV shows and you seriously want the same old same old versus the whole ridiculous drama of those two sneaking around with each other? Or the fallout from their breakup when Mr Sad Puppy Eyes lied about her killing Snoke to cover his a** and then got the door Force slammed in his face by a very angry and disappointed ex-girlfriend? I mean, if I were Rian Johnson and JJ having that lunch to go over what would be good ideas for writing IX, that's what I'd have on the agenda.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Tue 15 May 2018, 4:48 pm

@snufkin wrote:@Tex This is why I don't get all of the comments from fans and various entertainment writers of "Welp Kylo's just gonna be the big bad boring bad guy villain in IX who faces off against the Beautiful Friendship Gang." Like really, that's the plot of god knows how many blockbuster movies out there or TV shows and you seriously want the same old same old versus the whole ridiculous drama of those two sneaking around with each other? Or the fallout from their breakup when Mr Sad Puppy Eyes lied about her killing Snoke to cover his a** and then got the door Force slammed in his face by a very angry and disappointed ex-girlfriend? I mean, if I were Rian Johnson and JJ having that lunch to go over what would be good ideas for writing IX, that's what I'd have on the agenda.
@snufkin

This is what has been baffling me about fandom in general. There is so much complaining about a thing, but no one really wants it fixed. TFA had too much nostalgia and it was a rehash and that means TLJ will be an ESB rehash! Then it wasn't, but no one learned their lesson, unlike TLJ's message of learning through failure. So clearly Kylo is bad and Rey is good and that is what IX will be about! This even from people who aren't happy about it. The absolute lack of faith in the filmmakers is unfortunate. Like movies are just from faceless studio entities and not actual human beings.

Maybe it's a self-righteous thing, an "I know better than everyone else" kind of thing. And also GA isn't very creative, and has been conditioned by a ton of other generic media and storytelling. No wonder the ST is confusing them all. Laugh

Last edited by californiagirl on Wed 16 May 2018, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Wed 16 May 2018, 10:47 am

@snufkin

I've been somewhat disconnected from everything since December. Are fans really saying it's going to be a showdown between Evil Baddies Kylo and Company versus Rey's Beautiful Friendship Gang? scratch I don't see that logic. Of course their will be some kind of showdown with "pew pew pew" and lots of explosions, but I don't think it will be so cut and dry. @motherofpearl1 made a good point in another thread, that it would be nice to see more blurred lines, not as much of 'this is good and this is bad'. The only character I see staying clearly in the evil bad guy role is Hux. He's a character you would love to hate. Him twisting the knife in Kylo's back, metaphorically or physically is great drama.

Kylo is canonically our anti-hero now. He's going to be pushed out of the First Order one way or another. And the "I'll destroy her" stuff is BS and we know it. Like you said, he's got sad, puppy dog eyes at the end of TLJ. He's going to want to find a way to make things right. He's put Rey in a very dangerous situation by claiming she's Snoke's assassin. And yes, there should be some sneaking around between the two of them. Perhaps they are brought back together by Leia's death? And I think it would be great if they made the bond even stronger, based on what we saw in their final force bond scene. They should be physically manifesting in each others surroundings now. (Cough cough *secret make-out/sex scene* cough cough). Again, how else do they get these two interacting again? How do they raise the stakes without it feeling like a retread of TLJ? If anyone has any ideas I really do want to hear what you think? How do we get them interacting again?

I feel like we're hijacking this thread a bit, oops.  Mods please feel free to move us to a more appropriate thread.

@californiagirl

I've never found the GA to be my go to when trying to figure out what makes a good movie. They don't know what they want. They'll praise a movie that's garbage and tank a movie that's thought provoking and challenging. It's only years later, when a movie has hit cult status, does the GA even start to "get it". In my opinion TLJ will end up being a cult movie and down the road will be looked back on as a game changer for how the franchise shifted it's viewing demographics and it's use of storytelling. Adam will have become an Oscar winner and Rian will have gone on to create his own expanded universe in the Star Wars mythos.
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bruna8728 on Wed 16 May 2018, 5:58 pm

@Tex wrote:

Kylo is canonically our anti-hero now. He's going to be pushed out of the First Order one way or another. And the "I'll destroy her" stuff is BS and we know it. Like you said, he's got sad, puppy dog eyes at the end of TLJ. He's going to want to find a way to make things right. He's put Rey in a very dangerous situation by claiming she's Snoke's assassin. And yes, there should be some sneaking around between the two of them. Perhaps they are brought back together by Leia's death? And I think it would be great if they made the bond even stronger, based on what we saw in their final force bond scene. They should be physically manifesting in each others surroundings now. (Cough cough *secret make-out/sex scene* cough cough). Again, how else do they get these two interacting again? How do they raise the stakes without it feeling like a retread of TLJ? If anyone has any ideas I really do want to hear what you think? How do we get them interacting again?

I feel like we're hijacking this thread a bit, oops.  Mods please feel free to move us to a more appropriate thread.

@Tex

I imagine something like an accident (made by the force) that make Rey and Kylo alone in a situation where they have to work together to survive, this couldn't work pos TFA because they would just fight, but now is "complicated". It would be good to see they scaping in the Millenium Falcon, it would mean a lot.

When I watched season 2 episode 17 of Rebels, I couldn't stop imagine if that sort of situation happens with Rey and Kylo.

Sometimes I Think the force is gonna be the one to do it (make they interact again), like when Rey was called by the lightsaber on Maz's castle, could work if one object or place strong with force call for both at the same time, it would be cool.

Oh my God, nothing about wedding here in this conversation, sorry.

bruna8728
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 16 May 2018, 7:29 pm

@Tex wrote:I've been somewhat disconnected from everything since December. Are fans really saying it's going to be a showdown between Evil Baddies Kylo and Company versus Rey's Beautiful Friendship Gang? scratch I don't see that logic. Of course their will be some kind of showdown with "pew pew pew" and lots of explosions, but I don't think it will be so cut and dry. @motherofpearl1 made a good point in another thread, that it would be nice to see more blurred lines, not as much of 'this is good and this is bad'. The only character I see staying clearly in the evil bad guy role is Hux. He's a character you would love to hate. Him twisting the knife in Kylo's back, metaphorically or physically is great drama.

I feel like we're hijacking this thread a bit, oops. Mods please feel free to move us to a more appropriate thread.

@Tex they should hire you to kick off the production team's meeting to discuss what's next for these characters. Because that's an excellent recap of the stakes set up for IX. Even if, and I'm not kidding, there seriously are a lot of people out there who sincerely believe that it's just going to be a showdown between Evil Baddies Kylo and Company versus Rey's Beautiful Friendship Gang.

As for wedding talk, the high stakes being set are the obstacles set in front of these two characters before any type of happy reunion/ending together can go down.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape on Thu 17 May 2018, 2:24 am

@snufkin wrote:@Tex You've been missed !!!

As I said up thread, I just find it amusing that when it comes to a certain type of fan, they're suddenly eager post-TLJ to match make Rey with somebody she's only exchanged two words with. Because supposedly the guy who gets nearly the entire Resistance killed thanks to disrespecting, condescending to and attempting to undermine the woman in charge because he thought he can do the job better is somehow enlightened and supportive.
@snufkin

The fans who don’t like Ben/Kylo for whatever reason (they’re the MRA type and find him too emotional and not macho enough, or— opposite end of the spectrum—they’ve decided he’s an abuser or an example of toxic masculinity or white male privilege) AND who are either: A)  (overtly or otherwise) too racist to accept Rey + Finn as an option, or B) really into the FinnRose dynamic and eager to keep Rey out of it — I guess those are the folks desperate to pair Rey up with Poe?  But really, since when has any multi-film series introduced the big romance two-thirds of the way through?  And when Rey has this potentially epic and, let’s be honest, smoulderingly hot mutual attraction to Kylo going on, where would the interest be in her getting together with a cocky pilot who is on her own side already?  Not good storytelling.  Not going to happen.

When I was an English major in college, one of my favorite professors framed a particular Hawthorne short story as the classic tale of the jock vs. the nerd, pointing out that there’s a lot of that in literature and that the jock usually wins and gets the girl.  Hawthorne himself, our prof pointed out, was the nerd (although— go find a picture of Hawthorne as a young man, before the big mustache.  He may have been a nerd, but was so pretty.  I remember a seminar of fellow grad students getting into whether he or (his contemporary, and also minus the facial hair if I remember rightly) Robert E. Lee was hotter as a young guy, and the professor walked in and asked, “Sooooo...what I’m hearing is a debate over Sexiest Man Alive, 1840 edition?”).  Anyway, Poe is the jock, and our boy with the Jedi lore and droid specs and calligraphy is the nerd.  I want the nerd to win for once.  Smile

Edited to add: I did the research for you.  

Last edited by Lily Snape on Thu 17 May 2018, 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding pictures)
Lily Snape
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Thu 17 May 2018, 11:46 am

@bruna8728

Right, the will of the force will somehow bring them back together. I recall Rey mentioning something in TLJ novelization about letting things unfold as the force wills it. So both of them ending up physically together is definitely a possibility. I adore the idea of them being drawn somewhere, separately by the force only to find the other person there. You have that "What are you doing here moment?". Perhaps it will have something to do with the sacred texts?

When speculating on how things may unfold I'm often finding myself referring back to what fanfic writer's were doing post TFA. They got some stuff wrong, but they also got some crucial stuff right. Force Bond and Renperor being the biggest two. Going forward, reoccurring fanfic trends I always saw were the two of them rendezvousing on another planet or always finding themselves bumping into the other.

So maybe Rey will be forced (hehe forced Wink ) to reach out to Kylo for help, at which point they meet up somewhere? Or as you said, they are drawn to a specific place at the same time.

@snufkin

Thanks for the compliment  Smile  . I think it's mostly we're 5-6 months gone from TLJ an I've had time to process things better. Now my mind is thinking ahead and going what's next? How do we get them from point A, the bad breakup with door slamming to point B, our beautiful Reylo dream wedding? Are we getting a more fairy tale/Beauty and the Beast approach with a brooding Kylo letting the first order fall into disrepair? Complete with Kylo having to face off with Hux, which leads to a reylo kiss off life? Cue fairy tale ending with the Jedi sarced texts closing on our story.

OR are we getting more Pride & Prejudiced, with them being brought back together unexpectedly, Ben doing something selfless for Rey, maybe saving her friends when he didn't the first time around? Then we jump ahead past a wedding straight into them together having their "I don't want to call you sweetheart, my Dad use to call my mother that when he was mad at her"/Mrs. Solo" moment.

OR do we get a combo of both scenarios? That sounds kind of fun. Lolilol

Last edited by Tex on Thu 17 May 2018, 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 17 May 2018, 11:54 am

@Lily Snape Ha, well go Google the daguerreotype of Theodore Judah, much hotter and far better role model than Robert E. Lee. To your point yes, this argument being brought up by fans very much feels like a jock versus nerd situation and most of us here root for the underdog. Or at least don't understand how people can frame it as nice guy versus a**hole because Poe very much feels to a lot of us as an overly cocky condescending douchebag who should stay the f**k away from Rey after his behavior towards Holdo got nearly the entire Resistance wiped out. Although personally, I tend to see it as more a question not of "the nice guy wins the girl for once" because the point of the ST is that it's the girl at the center and what she wants. And we all know that she mailed herself tout de suit into the heart of enemy territory after special Force Skype sessions with one particular guy and cried when it turned out that he didn't leave his side and run away with her. So I'm all for what Rey wants/chooses and the suggestion that she'd chose somebody she met 2/3rd into the story in a shoehorned "oh yeah, these two haven't ever met" moment who's kind of a jerk, is just ridiculous.

As an addendum, I'd hazard a guess that anybody who accepts Poe simply as a nice guy character or at least a bargain basement Han Solo isn't familiar with Oscar Isaac's roles outside of the ST. Which wouldn't be surprising because 2 years in and reading a sh*t ton of comments in various places on the Internets, a lot of ride or die Star Wars fans don't exactly strike me as giving a whole lot of attention to films that aren't in the modern nerd canon. But Poe is very much as big an a**hole and as destructive as his characters in Inside Llewelyn Davis and Ex Machina and as well-meaning but self-destructive as his characters in Show Me a Hero and A Most Dangerous Year.

Last edited by snufkin on Thu 17 May 2018, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Thu 17 May 2018, 12:27 pm

@snufkin wrote:@Lily Snape Ha, well go Google the daguerreotype of Theodore Judah, much hotter and far better role model than Robert E. Lee. To your point yes, this argument being brought up by fans very much feels like a jock versus nerd situation and most of us here root for the underdog. Or at least don't understand how people can frame it as nice guy versus a**hole because Poe very much feels to a lot of us as an overly cocky condescending douchebag who should stay the f**k away from Rey after his behavior towards Holdo got nearly the entire Resistance wiped out. Although personally, I tend to see it as more a question not of "the nice guy wins the girl for once" because the point of the ST is that it's the girl at the center and what she wants. And we all know that she mailed herself tout de suit into the heart of enemy territory after special Force Skype sessions with one particular guy and cried when it turned out that he didn't leave his side and run away with her. So I'm all for what Rey wants/chooses and the suggestion that she'd chose somebody she met 2/3rd into the story in a shoehorned "oh yeah, these two haven't ever met" moment who's kind of a jerk, is just ridiculous.

As an addendum, I'd hazard a guess that anybody who accepts Poe simply as a nice guy character or at least a bargain basement Han Solo isn't familiar with Oscar Isaac's roles outside of the ST. Which wouldn't be surprising because 2 years in and reading a sh*t ton of comments in various places on the Internets, a lot of ride or die Star Wars fans don't exactly strike me as giving a whole lot of attention to films that aren't in the modern nerd canon. But Poe is very much as big an a**hole and as destructive as his characters in Inside Llewelyn Davis and Ex Machina and as well-meaning but self-destructive as his characters in Show Me a Hero and A Most Dangerous Year.
@snufkin

For me, especially after TLJ, it was a choice as to what I wanted to believe. Did I want to believe that everyone involved in the ST was criminally under-utilizing Oscar Isaac (who, I would argue, is the same level/caliber of young actor that Adam Driver is, albeit in a slightly different way), or did I want to believe that they have something up their sleeve, some total arc that we were/are not yet privvy to that might finally give me a stronger sense of, "Ohhhh, that's why they hired Oscar Isaac"? Well friends, I want to believe the latter, and there's enough canon and EU material to make me believe that I'm not entirely stupid for believing the latter, so I'm going to keep believing the latter until IX proves me wrong. Very Happy

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 17 May 2018, 1:33 pm

@nickandnora wrote:
@snufkin wrote:@Lily Snape Ha, well go Google the daguerreotype of Theodore Judah, much hotter and far better role model than Robert E. Lee. To your point yes, this argument being brought up by fans very much feels like a jock versus nerd situation and most of us here root for the underdog. Or at least don't understand how people can frame it as nice guy versus a**hole because Poe very much feels to a lot of us as an overly cocky condescending douchebag who should stay the f**k away from Rey after his behavior towards Holdo got nearly the entire Resistance wiped out. Although personally, I tend to see it as more a question not of "the nice guy wins the girl for once" because the point of the ST is that it's the girl at the center and what she wants. And we all know that she mailed herself tout de suit into the heart of enemy territory after special Force Skype sessions with one particular guy and cried when it turned out that he didn't leave his side and run away with her. So I'm all for what Rey wants/chooses and the suggestion that she'd chose somebody she met 2/3rd into the story in a shoehorned "oh yeah, these two haven't ever met" moment who's kind of a jerk, is just ridiculous.

@snufkin

For me, especially after TLJ, it was a choice as to what I wanted to believe. Did I want to believe that everyone involved in the ST was criminally under-utilizing Oscar Isaac (who, I would argue, is the same level/caliber of young actor that Adam Driver is, albeit in a slightly different way), or did I want to believe that they have something up their sleeve, some total arc that we were/are not yet privvy to that might finally give me a stronger sense of, "Ohhhh, that's why they hired Oscar Isaac"? Well friends, I want to believe the latter, and there's enough canon and EU material to make me believe that I'm not entirely stupid for believing the latter, so I'm going to keep believing the latter until IX proves me wrong. Very Happy
@nickandnora

Same! I mean, they might go the Beautiful Friendship Gang route, with Poe as Golden Boy Leader, but given some of the other surprises we've gotten in the ST so far, and what we've seen of Poe in the comics, I'm going to choose to believe that JJ is going to go the more interesting route with Poe until I'm proven wrong.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 17 May 2018, 1:38 pm

@Tex Fun to speculate but hard to predict! We're 2 for 2 of the Force shoving them together for life-changing experiences together and then tearing them apart with one sad lingering glance over the distance which separates the two of them. They may be on opposite sides of the divide starting again in IX and pretending very hard to be Little Jedi Ray of Sunshine and the Baddest Bad that Ever Badded Since My Granddad but the wheels are going to fall off the same way that happened in the previous two films. Question is what will happen to both kick off a 3rd round of that for the two of them and how will it pivot them into moving beyond the life-altering and galaxy-shaking shared experiences which connect them before splitting them back apart? Only idea I have at the moment is like you said, lying that Rey killed Snoke to cover his a** will, in fact, bite Ben very hard on the a** and kick off part of it.

@nickandnora Back in the early days we used to joke here that Luke's plotline on Ache-to would reveal that he's like the Dude in The Big Lebowski, wandering around the dairy section of Ralph's Supermarket in his Jedi bathrobe. Which skip ahead two years, already suspected the ST was taking a certain amount of inspiration fro the Coen Brothers by casting Llewlyn Davis and Al Cody and one of the press interviews was with the production designer, Rick Heinricks, who worked on Fargo mentions both the Dude's looks as informing Luke and the wood chipper scene as an influence for Crait's red salt plains

I think of Luke Skywalker as a lot more circumspect than the Dude, who seems very oblivious. But, I do think that there is a little bit of a slacker aspect to the fact that Luke has really set himself aside from society and really just wants to be the hermit on the top of the mountain on the island away from everybody and everything that can create complications for him. You can imagine that there are crumbs of food in his beard.”

In The Big Lebowski, the Dude is drawn into a complicated ransom kerfuffle, completely against his wishes. All the Dude wants to do in the film is drink his White Russians and be left alone. In The Last Jedi, Luke “the Dude” Skywalker is dawn into a creepy budding friendship which he wants no part of, and just wants to drink his Green Alien Milk and be left alone. Both have giant beards and both seek a totally chilled-out lifestyle.

Heinrichs was the production designer for numerous films before The Last Jedi, including the Coen brothers’ Fargo. When designing the visual look of the battle on Crait, he drew inspiration for the blasts of deep red from a darkly comic moment from the 1998 film. “[The battle of Crait] is obviously a very graphic depiction of a violent battle that happens, the red on white and the rooster tail. I was actually thinking of telling Rian that I was inspired by the end of the movie Fargo which I had actually done, the wood chipper scene.”

We also know that the Kasdans have cited The Big Lebowski as being one of the films they thought of when writing Solo, so it's more than fair to speculate that the filmmakers for the various new films are not only fans of the Coen Brothers but pulling inspiration from various sources. And yes, anybody who's followed Oscar Isaac and knowing that he sweet talked JJ and Kasdan into not killing off his character would expect that there has to be some amount of "he's so good at playing charismatic destructive f**k-ups" in what they've done with Poe. It's the fans who haven't seen him in anything else (seriously, if there are Ride or Die fans out there earnestly dicussing Show Me a Hero or A Most Dangerous Year, they're being awfully quiet about it) who seem to push this idea that he's Han Solo 2.0 and somebody to be admired. I'm in the same group as @ISeeanIsland - until proven otherwise, I'm expecting that JJ makes use of those talents for the character and story.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum