Lightsaber battle in IX— any predictions?

Go down

Lightsaber battle in IX— any predictions?

Post by Lily Snape on Fri 18 May 2018, 1:32 am

OK, we know there’s going to be a lightsaber battle, or people will throw popcorn at the screen and write horrible reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Here’s the problem: the only two characters left at this time who wield lightsabers are half in love with each other. So, any predictions on the inevitable lightsaber battle in IX? My top two guesses are:

—Rey vs. Kylo/Ben early-ish in the film, a confrontation that will lead to them realizing what they mean to each other, which will pave the way for the big epic romance and Ben’s redemption. It’s probably time for him to win, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him getting the upper hand, sparing her, and making it clear that he’s in love with her. Followed by some undeniable Reylo moment like (finally) the angsty kiss we’ve all been waiting for. Star Wars (the film series) is overdue for a lightsaber battle like this.

—Someone (single or plural) vs. the Knights of Ren. Like the throne room battle, but with Force-sensitive opponents wielding lightsabers. Could be amazing.

Anyone else have any ideas? Smile
Lily Snape
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Re: Lightsaber battle in IX— any predictions?

Post by Saracene on Fri 18 May 2018, 3:22 am

I really can't image Rey and Kylo engaged in a fight-to-kill lightsaber battle at this point, and we've already had a battle where at least one of them holds back. Plus, if they're meant to be a couple I think they'll be wary of showing Kylo being aggressive towards Rey in any fashion.

So option B (Rey and/or Kylo against other force users) sounds more likely to me.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape on Fri 18 May 2018, 10:44 am

@Saracene wrote:I really can't image Rey and Kylo engaged in a fight-to-kill lightsaber battle at this point, and we've already had a battle where at least one of them holds back. Plus, if they're meant to be a couple I think they'll be wary of showing Kylo being aggressive towards Rey in any fashion.

So option B (Rey and/or Kylo against other force users) sounds more likely to me.
@Saracene

Agreed. But I could see them in a situation where their loyalty is going to be seriously questioned (and in Kylo’s case, given who he works with, his life threatened) if they don’t nominally face each other. Like the Resistance members get caught doing something on an FO vessel, Rey is with them and has to defend her people, Kylo gets alerted because she’s the Jedi they want, and Kylo has to make it appear like he wants to take out Snoke’s supposed killer. Rey fends him off, the resistance fighters escape and she says she’ll follow, Kylo dismisses the stormtroopers and says he’ll take care of her himself...and when it’s just the two of them, the weapons are down. That kind of thing. Plus, it would make a great trailer: Kylo and Rey in an epic battle!...until you actually see the movie, and they just stare longingly at each other as soon as they don’t have an audience. Smile
Lily Snape
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Fri 18 May 2018, 12:16 pm

@Lily Snape wrote:OK, we know there’s going to be a lightsaber battle, or people will throw popcorn at the screen and write horrible reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  Here’s the problem:  the only two characters left at this time who wield lightsabers are half in love with each other.  So, any predictions on the inevitable lightsaber battle in IX?  My top two guesses are:

—Rey vs. Kylo/Ben early-ish in the film, a confrontation that will lead to them realizing what they mean to each other, which will pave the way for the big epic romance and Ben’s redemption.  It’s probably time for him to win, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him getting the upper hand, sparing her, and making it clear that he’s in love with her.  Followed by some undeniable Reylo moment like (finally) the angsty kiss we’ve all been waiting for.  Star Wars (the film series) is overdue for a lightsaber battle like this.  

—Someone (single or plural) vs. the Knights of Ren.  Like the throne room battle, but with Force-sensitive opponents wielding lightsabers.  Could be amazing.

Anyone else have any ideas?  Smile
@Lily Snape

Unfortunately, people will thrown popcorn at the screen and write terrible reviews on Rotten Tomatoes regardless of what the movie does. Reylo will send some people into a tizzy! TLJ had what many consider to be the best lightsaber battle in SW history, and quite a few viewers still despised the film.

It might seen redundant since TLJ just did it, but the movie did show that lightsabers vs. non-Force users is a thing. Having said that, I do think a KoR battle is more likely, especially given JJ's level of interest in them.

Last edited by californiagirl on Fri 18 May 2018, 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BB-Rey on Fri 18 May 2018, 1:44 pm

I hope we could see Rey and Kylo leading a group of lightsaber welders (maybe Jedi that survired Luke's Temple destruction) and members of a clan like the Mandolrians against the Knights of Ren and others that would be affiliated with them. I think that would be an epic finale of grand scale for that matter. A battle with the Resistance and First Order against the Knights of Ren in a space battle (lead by Poe and maybe we could finally see Connix fly too) while on the planet below could be Rey and Kylo (Maybe Finn and Rose and a new character/fraction like Mandolrians) against the Knights of Ren, creatures, and what have you in a final stand and epic final lightsaber fight against the leader of these forces.
BB-Rey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Fri 18 May 2018, 3:45 pm

I have something incredibly cheese and fanfici in mind.

Rey & Kylo fighting- and after they duel each other for a while but neither want to really hurt the other, they just throw away their lightsabers and run into each others arms and kiss passionately... H-beating H-beating H-beating

Sorry, I know that won't happen but if it does I would be cheering in the theatre and the Antis would go crazy!!! IYF
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Fri 18 May 2018, 4:00 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:I have something incredibly cheese and fanfici in mind.

Rey & Kylo fighting- and after they duel each other for a while but neither want to really hurt the other, they just throw away their lightsabers and run into each others arms and kiss passionately... H-beating H-beating H-beating

Sorry, I know that won't happen but if it does I would be cheering in the theatre and the Antis would go crazy!!! IYF
@Night Huntress

My headcanon isn't far off from this one. I'm picturing a VERY sexually heated lightsaber battle between Rey and Ben where neither intends to kill the other, that would put the steamiest love scene in cinematic history to shame. Of course, half way through the sabers are disengaged and instead they wind up in tangled mess, lips locked with each other.

IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Fri 18 May 2018, 5:17 pm

@IoJovi wrote:

@Night Huntress

My headcanon isn't far off from this one. I'm picturing a VERY sexually heated lightsaber battle between Rey and Ben where neither intends to kill the other, that would put the steamiest love scene in cinematic history to shame. Of course, half way through the sabers are disengaged and instead they wind up in tangled mess, lips locked with each other.

@IoJovi

Basically we are all anticipating the horniest lightsaber battle in history.
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mila95 on Fri 18 May 2018, 5:45 pm

I think we'll see both another duel between them and another team up fight.At least I hope so because I loved both of those in TFA and TLJ and I just love how they handle and choreograph their fight scenes.I could see a duel where Kylo and Rey fight each other because they're on opposite sides and its what they're supposed to do but neither can really hurt the other and their feelings are clearly in the way of the whole enemies thing.And if the KoR are showing up I feel like that pretty much means a team that Kylo and Rey can fight that would be more of a challenge than the praetorian guards and because they know Kylo and wouldn't be just faceless opponents

Mila95
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 18 May 2018, 11:41 pm

@rey09 wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@Night Huntress

@IoJovi

Basically we are all anticipating the horniest lightsaber battle in history.
@rey09

That's going to be a tall order considering both TFA and TLJ's lightsaber battles went from subtly horny to blatantly horny.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape on Sat 19 May 2018, 1:09 am

@Mila95 wrote:I think we'll see both another duel between them and another team up fight.At least I hope so because I loved both of those in TFA and TLJ and I just love how they handle and choreograph their fight scenes.I could see a duel where Kylo and Rey fight each other because they're on opposite sides and its what they're supposed to do but neither can really hurt the other and their feelings are clearly in the way of the whole enemies thing.And if the KoR are showing up I feel like that pretty much means a team that Kylo and Rey can fight that would be more of a challenge than the praetorian guards and because they know Kylo and wouldn't be just faceless opponents
@Mila95

I’d love to see both of those again—Snow Fight 2.0 and Throne Room 2.0, sort of. I can actually picture a Rey vs. Kylo fight in which, as you say, they’re on opposite sides and that’s what they’re supposed to do, with neither of them able to hurt the other. Maybe one in which they’re both still upset at each other and call each other out during it—to use a real-world parallel, I’m picturing friends on opposing teams who have offended each other somehow and are playing ball like they have a grudge to settle, but not like they want to do damage. Or Leslie Knope vs. Ben Wyatt in the MUN competition on Parks & Rec, for example—they’re in love with each other, something is keeping them apart, it’s leading to discord between them, and they’re playing that out on a different stage. In the case of Rey and Kylo, hashing out their argument while the sabers clash, basically, with the mutual attraction getting more and more heated.

The two of them vs. the KOR would be terrific also. But I have to admit that I love an emotionally-charged one-on-one lightsaber battle, and adding UST to that would be amazing. Smile
Lily Snape
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sat 19 May 2018, 2:18 am

@Lily Snape Ben Wyatt would likely approve of the Model UN scenario!

And should we take bets now that Supreme Leader Ben Solo will have his own version of Ice Town for the First Order?
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nana7marie on Sat 19 May 2018, 2:28 am

@snufkin wrote:@Lily Snape Ben Wyatt would likely approve of the Model UN scenario!

And should we take bets now that Supreme Leader Ben Solo will have his own version of Ice Town for the First Order?
@snufkin

lol!
nana7marie
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape on Sat 19 May 2018, 12:05 pm

@snufkin

There’s a reason I thought of Ben Wyatt. Smile
Lily Snape
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sat 19 May 2018, 1:59 pm

@Lily Snape Ben did start out as the bad guy and Leslie’s arch-nemesis!
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nana7marie on Sun 20 May 2018, 2:28 am

@Lily Snape
@Night Huntress
@IoJovi
@rey09
A steamy lightsabre fight in place of an actual quarrel broken by the kiss is a fantasy many of us have lol! . I don’t know how Kylo and Rey would get into that fight now after the events of TLJ but I’m sure it could be done, especially if we see their confusion and kinda reluctance going into the duel. Their faces could betray they don’t wanna hurt each other and are using this opportunity to, well, argue and unleash their emotions. There’s plenty of fan art of post fighting making up kiss  lol! - was reminded of this thread this morning when I saw this tweet:
nana7marie
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Fri 25 May 2018, 8:01 pm

@Lily Snape wrote:OK, we know there’s going to be a lightsaber battle, or people will throw popcorn at the screen and write horrible reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Here’s the problem: the only two characters left at this time who wield lightsabers are half in love with each other. So, any predictions on the inevitable lightsaber battle in IX? My top two guesses are:

—Rey vs. Kylo/Ben early-ish in the film, a confrontation that will lead to them realizing what they mean to each other, which will pave the way for the big epic romance and Ben’s redemption. It’s probably time for him to win, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him getting the upper hand, sparing her, and making it clear that he’s in love with her. Followed by some undeniable Reylo moment like (finally) the angsty kiss we’ve all been waiting for. Star Wars (the film series) is overdue for a lightsaber battle like this.

—Someone (single or plural) vs. the Knights of Ren. Like the throne room battle, but with Force-sensitive opponents wielding lightsabers. Could be amazing.

Anyone else have any ideas? Smile
@Lily Snape

Interesting question to play with Lily Snape!
I don't know if there has to be a lightsaber battle..Ididn't miss it in TLJ.. I think some fans will throw popcorn at the screen etc. anyway - because they will never be satisfied with what they get. But.. putting that perspective to one side.. I will share my thoughts and then I'll come back and read everyone else's thoughts that have been shared..

After the events of TLJ, I am not at all convinced Kylo/Ben will be trying to kill Rey... For me, lightsaber battles in and of themselves are actually not terribly interesting - what makes them interesting is the story that is unfolding during the battle. Like Qui-Gon dying.. and Obi-Wan being forced to fight Anakin- gah!!! In AOTC all the lightsabers in the arena was kind of overwhelming and for me not terribly interesting..

I think the force bond between Kylo/Ben and Rey could impact their ability to truly fight each other or for one to be victorious over the other. Would they be able to anticipate the other's moves so much that it would end in deadlock?
Also, in TFA and TLJ, I see the force keeping Kylo/Ben and Rey from killing each other, separating them when it got too dangerous, and also continually bringing them together in peaceful ways... so I can't see the force not intervening if they were to fight for real and one threatened the life of the other. YMMV of course.

Anyway, so if we see a Kylo/Ben vs Rey lightsaber duel it could be in the context of:
1)Both realising they can't kill each other, ever. [but this feels like a little step backwards for me.. then again I'm a reylo and Kylo/Ben is not redeemed yet.. so it is possible it could happen like this]
Or, 2) my preferred option - make the duel a faux/ cover duel - where they don't want to fight each other but have to keep up the pretense for appearances sake. This can make for great drama but also laughs!!! I don't want IX to be all angst.. Maybe the evil SL (aka secret boyfriend) could grab Rey and give her a kiss in the middle of the fight or vice versa! haaaaa.. the fake indignation could be hilarious and sexy!! [Cue the line about how your not a nice man - nod to Han and Leia kiss!]

Honestly, I'm looking for the story being told through the action - and I'm really open to seeing new ideas. Maybe others have shared ideas here already - I look forward to reading the comments here!

I loved how the lightsaber was wielded in the throne room in TLJ - in a few ways it was new.. and moved beyond the drawn out duels..
I'd prefer straight up fights be with different opponents with different weapons. I loved the PG variety of weapons! A quick look around and I can see there are a bunch of weapons in canon that can resist lightsabers and would make for a great fight. [Dryden Vos' weapon looked like it could be trimmed with beams of electro plasma like PG weapons..] and I think there is some metals that can resist a lightsaber.. isn't there?

Yeah the Knights of Ren could be great to see. If we do see them I hope they split and some become good and some stay bad - it would be great for some of them to survive..
I think for me the big question mark now Snoke is gone is what force users will be fighting? because.. I don't tend to see Rey and Kylo/Ben head on fighting each other for a whole movie... but heck I know I need to prepare myself for this possibility!
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyGaufrette on Tue 31 Jul 2018, 11:42 am

I want to propose something a little different. This trilogy is for Kylo a struggle against himself, even more since Luke and Snoke are dead. I suggest a lightsaber fight between Ben Solo and Kylo Ren in the TFA outfit (so another actor can do it). It could be a dream or a vision on a strange planet. What gave me this idea is an episode in TCW where Yoda fight against a shadow of himself, his darkside, and come to accept it. It could be a good visual representation of the assimilation of the shadow of Jung. Add ghosts of all his dead loved one giving him words of wisdom and relief, and you can have a good turning point for a redemption path. You can even have Han Solo tell Kylo (AKA the audience) that he forgive him and hope his son will forgive him one day.

I suggest this because I can't be invested in a fight where I know Rey and Ben can't really hurt each other, and I see the knights of Ren (if they even appear in the movie) as his friends.
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 5:04 pm

Somehow, I can see Rey and Kylo duelling against each other in the next movie, but it wouldn't be interesting to me, since they already did it in TFA. Personally I would like to see a duel including the KoR. It would be nice to see them splitting, some going to the light side, some to the dark side.
Atenais
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum