Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILERS ALLOWED]

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILERS ALLOWED]

Post by Moonlight13 on Fri 01 Jun 2018, 5:16 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Moonlight13 wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:I saw it today. I was part of the people who love Han but did not feel the need to know more about his background and the trailers gave me no reason to be thrilled. I went to watch the movie because it’s a SW movie and I have now a reputation of SW fan to live up to Smile

I still think the movie was not necessary and it’s a bit sad that some mysteries are gone e.g. how Han met Chewie. That being said, it is a very enjoyable movie and it does deserve more appreciation than it seems to receive.

I was entirely spoiled except for L3’s ending. I shed a couple of tears. I love her revolutionary side. What can I say, I am French. I think others mentioned it but Paul Bettany is one attractive baddie. I was hypnotized. The relationship Chewie/Han really works which was quite the crucial part. AE is a very likeable Han and I was part of the wary ones, but I fully accept him as Han #2. And Lando is just the icing on the cake. I was surprised by Qi’ra. I didn’t think I’d like her but I did. Actually the only thing that I did not like (at all) in the movie is the Maul scene.

Coming out from the movie I was thinking that I cannot really connect the OT Han with the SSWS Han - to me they do not fit - so I do not see the movie as OT Han’s background but more as a parallel story with another Han. A bit like Fury Road Mad Max against Mel Gibson Mad Max. And I am fine with it. I think I will watch it again and I am pretty sure I’ll buy the DVD - as opposed to R1 which is not part of my home video collection.

I am not a music expert and rarely pay attention to music in movies, but I was struck by the music when we first meet Enfys Nest. And it was played later on again. I really like the “disruptive” voices - kids singing? It sounded to me less SWsy and a bit disharmonious which fits with Enfys. As I said, it’s rare I pay attention, but this one hit me.
@SanghaRen
That was one of my favorite things too. cheers cheers cheers
@Moonlight13

I love the Enfys Nest music! She gets her own opera when she comes on.  It actually reminded me of the rousing music Powell writes for Hiccup in How to Train Your Dragon (love that music too).  

I love Enfys. She seems so sinister and sounds like Kylo when she is masked, but when she is unmasked, she is this young, fierce, beautiful girl. There are several parallels between her and Kylo. She's lovely,  but she will kill for her cause, and when she jumps down with that laser weapon, she is just glorious
@SoloSideCousin
True. Smile I really liked Enfys. When we came out of the theater, my friend asked me if we were supposed to know her already because her unmasking scene seemed very important. I told him that I thought it was a parallel to Kylo's unmasking scene (the audience expects to see a monster but sees a young man/woman instead). Very Happy
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 01 Jun 2018, 6:01 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:I'll disagree with everyone who claims that Alden did a poor job. He didn't. He's simply not Harrison Ford and that's all.

Same. I tend to take in these new era films as simply being part of the ongoing revision that LF has been doing ever since the OT where decisions were made to make Vader and Leia Luke's relatives instead of the original planned characters. Or the various Special Editions revisions. Changing things around isn't anything new for the franchise, it just depends on what details you as an audience member see as set point and whether or not those get changed.

I'm in the Han Shot First camp and this version, along with the teenager shown in the Leia YA novel, I find them both to be too sweet natured. Like I'd expect both to be snarky. But I also understand that besides the "these works are constantly in evolution" is that age can change people. Especially when you know that the next chapter for both of these characters, no matter how young they are, is very hard times. However what I generally have found the most jarring in the new films (both this and Rogue One) is that being set on a timeline that runs up to the OT era films is you go from a world that draws from a cast more representative of our society to the original films. Where it's very much an old boy's club with little or no representation and Carrie Fisher's joke about being the only woman in the galaxy. If people watch the films in the chronological order they take place, the OT films and the epoch they're meant to represent in that fictional universe really stand out as being representative of a specific time in our real-world history. That's far more jarring to me than "hey that guy's not Harrison Ford and he's not even as tall as Harrison Ford."
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by teltaru on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 1:53 pm

I finally went to see the movie today. Mind blown!! cyclops It was so much fun, great cast, bravo to Alden for not bucking under immense pressure and delivering a perfectly believable Han Solo.

Is Han's dice physically still on the Falcon at the end of TLJ? I'm starting to buy into the idea of Ben reclaiming it in IX. I don't want to set myself up to disappointment, but it would make a lot of sense after Solo and Last Shot.

teltaru
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by MindAndMagic on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 4:54 pm

I saw it again with my mum today as I realised is missed a few things here and there. E.g. @SoloSideCousin was totally right, from the way Han says “Not really” to Lando’s question about his dad, it’s obvious that he does know him, only their relationship is possibly strained, which brings Han’s own dynamic with his son to mind. I also realised that little officer I likened to a mini Kylo (you can tell where my mind is with those movies) was actually Rio, he takes it off a few min later. I think I got easily distracted thinking about Ben... on more than 1 occassion. xD

I agree with what others have said in terms of character depth, the Qi’ra storyline was quite emotionally nuanced, it was definitely a hard choice for her in the end, it’s obvious from her last look at Han she does care about him, it was as if all their childhood memories passed through her mind at that minute. There is something deeply tragic about that storyline and I feel for Han, but at the same time you know this is how it should be because LEIA... and BEN. No one can replace Leia, she is his true, mature love.

R1, though I got more dissatisfied by it in the long run, felt haunting to me because of the realisation those poor people died before they could see the results of what they accomplished or witness the outcome of the rebellion. Those last seconds on the beach were heartbreaking, especially the first time I saw it because of that sense of inevitability. I had the same haunting feeling seeing Solo. All throughout I couldn’t shake the thought of how tragic Han’s whole life really was, a constant struggle. At least he had the chance to experience true love and happiness if only for a short while... with his beautiful kid. It's painful to think about, especially since we know and love Ben. I wish they’d explore their time together as  a family on screen before they sent him away, perhaps some day after IX. Even though this is supposed to be about Han’s early years before he even met Luke or Leia (it’s so weird he even didn’t know they existed at this point and vice versa), I kept thinking “You have a son and he is beautiful”, then mentally going back to TFA's ending. When I heard the “you’re the good guy” line, I said to myself “of course he is a good guy, he has always been a good guy, he sacrificed himself for his son and no matter what they loved each other”. And, of course, the dice, which is also the very last shot of the movie, as if it’s meant to remind us “remember this, I’ll be important going further”. Ben still loves you, Han, his broken face says it all. He will always love you.

It felt haunting on many levels, starting from Han's lost youthful innocence (it's all the more poignant, knowing his whole character arc), the "Join the Empire" slogan, which always brings me back to Anakin and Padme's tragedy, the Falcon, which has witnessed so many signficant events, the deleted scene with Ben being amongst them. I have the hope that Ben and Rey might fly off on it at the end of IX. We'll see.

Despite all the hauntedness (a new word xD), I enjoyed it a lot, particularly the scenes where Han and Lando played together, I wished we'd gotten more scenes with them. I kept imagining Han telling this story story to kid Ben and the latter exclaiming "uncle Lando is a cheater!" in amusement. It was also really funny when Han was like "keep your eyes on your own cards" to the multi-eyed alien. xD Sometimes I really love small moments like this. I think the fact I had little to no expectations helped me enjoy it as much as I did. It was fun. Still, I hope to see more fresh stories with brand new characters going forward.

Last edited by MindAndMagic on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
MindAndMagic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 8:25 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:I'am maybe in minority here but I definitely can SEE Han's OT character's traits. With the obvious fact he's much younger in this installment. Ten years and some experience from the adolescence can make the slight change in every person not only a fictional character.

Han is impulsive very witty and clever but not wise. And he has the soft, golden heart. That's not something you learn to have, but rather what you really are.

He comes across as a rough scoundrel in the beginning of ANH - but he's more kind of guy who tends to believe in some image in himself than rather be what he really is.

Insisting in being a bad, tough guy who talks a lot and shows off is his character trait that dominates any movie he was part of form Solo and the OT to TFA. In all of this movies his true nature always comes to light despite himself.
It's not hard to believe that the his disappointment and heartbreak over Qi'ra led him to play a materialist, cold blooded scoundrel in ANH. Not mention a time gap between the two - which is left to speculation - but I really think that Han used this time to convince himself more in the scoundrel-outlaw-bad boy role he wants to play just to defend himself from further disappointments and emotional failures (I know everything looks to familiar when I think of his son - that's the same pattern through and through.).

Also, Kylo's weakness is same as Han's = aka ladies. Enfys Nest openly invites Han to join the rebellion. He kinda understands her motives and appreciates it but he refuses to be part of it - years later he joins the same rebellion not because he believes in the cause and suddenly becomes and ardent rebel. He does it because of another new temptation he can't resist: Leia.

I can get the fact that we all had that Harrison is Han mantra - and truth to be told Harrison made everything for Han to make a legend of me, but I'll disagree with everyone who claims that Alden did a poor job. He didn't. He's simply not Harrison Ford and that's all.

@Darth_Awakened

I love this Darth_Awakened! Hear Hear!
I also thought the writing of the character was so wonderful and tied in perfectly with ANH.
Right from the start with the whole pretending he is holding a thermal detonator when confronting Proxima- I laughed and laughed and thought- this is so Han! He tries to bluff his way through things and it doesn't quite work out as planned ('we're all fine here now thank you. How are you?'... 'we have a large reactor leak here now umm very dangerous!' rofl!!) but he still gets through it.
Proxima's flat reply of: 'it's a rock' - and how Han doubled down with it was just hilarious and so in character.

Alden did great - and the writing IMHO totally helped me to easily accept this was Han - right from the start!

Just my 2 cents - I'm not following reactions to Solo in any detail.. but I do think in 20 years time Solo will be praised as an awesome movie!!
Necessary? well maybe not.. but why does a SW movie have to be 'necessary'? YMMV, but I think in time our expectations of SW movies and the reliance on the skywalker saga as the SW linchpin will be reduced - this will open up a whole galaxy of possibilities for new SW trilogies, content etc. For me, I think RJ's trilogy will ring in a new SW paradigm, I can't wait!
DeeBee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:28 pm

I thought this was a really good article about Qi'ra and her feleings/motivations through the movie:
http://rebelsreport.com/index.php/2018/06/02/why-qira-is-the-best-character-in-solo-a-star-wars-story/

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 3:24 am

Laughing

SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 4:30 am

I caught myself thinking about Lando a lot. I just love that guy. He's Han Solo's eternal victim, not by purpose of course.

Look at everything Lando lost when dealing with Han: MF - Han managed to make a first big step in the transition of the beautiful, fancy star ship into the legendary piece of junk during the Kessel run.
Then, he lost it literally to Han, because Han got lucky by noticing Lando's cheating "device".
L3 - she'll be safe and sound if there was no Han and his plan.
Not to mention Lando's precious custom made cape.
What about Bespin and Lando's position of a baron governor there - Vader comes knocking on his door only because of Han and his new friends lol!
Then Chewie almost chokes him and finally he is "forced" to find "carbonite frozen" Han only because despite all of those things Lando definitely cares for Han.

I just started reading The Last Shot - but I can bet there's more of it in the book.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 7:14 am

@Darth_Awakened wrote:I caught myself thinking about Lando a lot. I just love that guy. He's Han Solo's eternal victim, not by purpose of course.

Look at everything Lando lost when dealing with Han: MF -  Han managed to make a first big step in the transition of the beautiful, fancy star ship into the legendary piece of junk during the Kessel run.
Then, he lost it literally to Han, because Han got lucky by noticing Lando's cheating "device".
What about Bespin and Lando's position of a baron governor there - Vader comes knocking on his door only because of Han and his new friends lol!
Then Chewie almost chokes him and finally he is "forced" to find "carbonite frozen" Han only because  despite all of those things Lando definitely cares for Han.

I just started reading The Last Shot - but I can bet there's more of it in the book.
@Darth_Awakened

That is interesting and very true. He gets caught up over and over again in sith thanks to Han. That scene with L3 was the most emotional scene of the movie for me. The way he runs through the battle field to try and save her... The worse part is that even what’s left of L3 went with Han in the MF. That was by the way a very nice call back and now I imagine L3 through the MF trying to push C3-PO to rebel. But then deep down Lando likes the adventure and he probably got even luckier with women and whomever/whatever else after becoming a hero Smile

The Last Shot is really nice when it comes to going into Lando’s head, but also dealing with Han and Lando’s friendship. I am fascinated by friendships between guys. They have no problem being competitive with each other and maybe punch each other in the face and then reconcile over beer or whatever. I think friendships between women are very different. I don’t think competitiveness can be a part of it. At least not in the long run. And we tend to need more than a beer to reconcile. Sometimes I envy the buddy qualities of male friendships. It just seems less complicated. But, I am as usual veering off the subject Razz Lando. While reading the book my mind kept switching between Billy Dee Williams and Donald Glover - it was tiring Smile
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 7:28 am

Double posting, but I love how Emilia Clarke gets so absorbed with her Qi’ra figure - starting towards 5’15 - that the interviewer never really manages to bring her back to the interview. She makes me want to buy one. They should use that clip to boost the sales.

SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 9:24 am

@Darth_Awakened wrote:I caught myself thinking about Lando a lot. I just love that guy. He's Han Solo's eternal victim, not by purpose of course.

Look at everything Lando lost when dealing with Han: MF - Han managed to make a first big step in the transition of the beautiful, fancy star ship into the legendary piece of junk during the Kessel run.
Then Chewie almost chokes him and finally he is "forced" to find "carbonite frozen" Han only because despite all of those things Lando definitely cares for Han.

@Darth_Awakened

Oh there is, and then some!!!!! lol! I can’t wait for you to finish it so we can discuss. You have only touched upon the tip of the iceberg compared to what’s in that book!
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 10:11 am

Not gonna lie, we’ve had the soundtrack on repeat all week. Favorites at the moment are “Meet Han,” “Marauders Arrive,” and “Reminiscence Therapy,” but there isn’t a track I feel like skipping over.

Do I still feel this film was unnecessary? Sure. But it’s fun and I’m glad it exists. It doesn’t alter my perception of OT Han, Lando, or Chewie, but I’m mainly thinking of Han as Ben’s dad these days. I love all those dramatic layers. I’m still like WTF when Val dies because I really liked her and was expecting her to have a larger role... and yeah I wish it at least passed the Bechdel test, but I thought the film had good female characters overall.

I’m tired of the negativity in the fan base at the moment. I feel like people have to justify their hate for a movie by nitpicking it’s logic and that feels a bit extreme to me. You didn’t do that to the ones you DID like, so what’s the point now? Laughing

Edited to say that necessary vs unnecessary feel like such silly words to use to describe any source of entertainment, lol. Boba Fett seems like an unnecessary character to revisit to me as well, but I’ll go see the movie about him and may very well enjoy it alien
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 10:23 am

Speaking of SW fans we know hating Solo, here's Jenny's take. She hated like 90% of Solo. Like 50-minute video didn't like it, and she never makes videos this long.

Also the Knights of Rant were not fans at all either, their podcast is up. They were actively telling people on Twitter to not watch it because they were way saltier than intended.

californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 10:32 am

@californiagirl wrote:Speaking of SW fans we know hating Solo, here's Jenny's take. She hated like 90% of Solo. Like 50-minute video didn't like it, and she never makes videos this long.

Also the Knights of Rant were not fans at all either, their podcast is up. They were actively telling people on Twitter to not watch it because they were way saltier than intended.

@californiagirl

This is what I’m talking about when I say “nitpicking the logic” of the movie. Jenny didn’t do this with TLJ which she mostly gushed about... You could criticize the heck out of the logic of TLJ’s plot, but she didn’t feel it necessary. I dunno. It’s like people who don’t like things these days are trying to convince others not to like them too. Nope

I loved Auralnauts Kylo’s criticisms. Because they’re for laughs Laughing “Maybe I’m the good guy.”
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 10:53 am

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@californiagirl wrote:Speaking of SW fans we know hating Solo, here's Jenny's take. She hated like 90% of Solo. Like 50-minute video didn't like it, and she never makes videos this long.

@californiagirl

This is what I’m talking about when I say “nitpicking the logic” of the movie. Jenny didn’t do this with TLJ which she mostly gushed about... You could criticize the heck out of the logic of TLJ’s plot, but she didn’t feel it necessary. I dunno. It’s like people who don’t like things these days are trying to convince others not to like them too. Nope

I loved Auralnauts Kylo’s criticisms. Because they’re for laughs Laughing “Maybe I’m the good guy.”
@Cowgirlsamurai

Spot on. Youtube kept pushing this video to me, so I took a peek, and I'm frankly mystified how anyone who loved TLJ can nitpick Solo like this for its plot problems.

I suppose it's all about what grabs you, and what doesn't. Solo grabbed me, so its flaws didn't detract from my enjoyment. TLJ never grabbed me, so the entire experience of watching it felt like keeping tally of everything that was wrong with it.

I do find it an interesting phenomenon overall that many people who hated TLJ want Solo to fail for TLJ's sins, and many people who loved TLJ want Solo to fail to... I don't know, in order to prove that the ST is superior to anthology films? I guess? That's the way it feels like, a lot of the time.

Either way, it's certainly trendy to hate Solo. Even if it were a poorer film than it is, it wouldn't quite deserve this kind of gleeful pitchfork mentality.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 11:01 am

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:

@californiagirl

@Cowgirlsamurai

I don't get this sudden obsession with films having to be 100% 'logical' all of a sudden.

Marvel movies can be as big and dumb and 'illogical' as they want and no one bats an eye. But if a Star Wars movie demonstrates even a scrap of an illogical moment, then everyone loses their minds.

I mean, this is the series that houses this moment:

Why did it take so long to beat the Empire when their equipment seems to be made from sheet metal? Those logs wouldn't destroy 20th century tanks!

Logic doesn't live here any more.

As for Solo, I enjoyed it. Is it perfect? Hell, no! Is it fun? I certainly thought so.

It reminds of the old Western serial that used to run on American television back in the fifties - the sort of stuff that inspired Lucas and probably even Kasdan when crafting the SW stories - only ratcheted up to modern blockbuster proportions and filtered through a space fantasy lens. The movie has gunslingers, and outlaws, and train robberies, and all that good stuff. I could be biased here, since I'm a sucker for a good old-fashioned Western romp.

The performances are great. Special kudos to Ehrenreich and Glover; not once during the film did I find myself thinking of Ford and Williams.

My only complaints are that the script did a feel clunky in places, slotting in some clumsy exposition dialogue (my pet peeve), and I found it a little difficult initially to keep track of all the names of people and organisations.

Overall, the movie was a fun night out and that's all I needed from it.
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 11:18 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:

@californiagirl

@Cowgirlsamurai

Spot on. Youtube kept pushing this video to me, so I took a peek, and I'm frankly mystified how anyone who loved TLJ can nitpick Solo like this for its plot problems.

I suppose it's all about what grabs you, and what doesn't. Solo grabbed me, so its flaws didn't detract from my enjoyment. TLJ never grabbed me, so the entire experience of watching it felt like keeping tally of everything that was wrong with it.

I do find it an interesting phenomenon overall that many people who hated TLJ want Solo to fail for TLJ's sins, and many people who loved TLJ want Solo to fail to... I don't know, in order to prove that the ST is superior to anthology films? I guess? That's the way it feels like, a lot of the time.

Either way, it's certainly trendy to hate Solo. Even if it were a poorer film than it is, it wouldn't quite deserve this kind of gleeful pitchfork mentality.
@Darth Dingbat

It's probably because TLJ saw greater change for the story and characters, and did a fair number of head-exploding things, whereas Solo was intended to be this smaller, non-galactic-sized movie that was rather safe. One of the major complaints is that no one really wanted to see Han doing a bunch of things we already know he did.

She does still hope for a good anthology movie (she mostly hates RO as well). Given how much she adores TLJ (she actually has a top 10 worst reasons you hated The Last Jedi video), she's likely stoked for the Rian trilogy. She likes GoT, so I wouldn't be surprised is she excited for the B&W series. And of course she's all in for IX, in the Bendemption way, and isn't worried about JJ helming it, since she loves TFA too. I believe she also liked Rebels. Just the spinoff films are where she gets brutal.

I was actually surprised when didn't cynically express contempt for all future installments. Because that seems to be the go-to complaint for other commenters, that Disney just wants to milk all they can out of the OT and existing characters and will never do anything original and KK should be fired and now that Solo underperformed SW is officially over and dead and they can never make another SW movie again because they are all bad and there are too many of them so it's Disney's fault.....

Solo weekend number 2 box office is in, and it doesn't look good. 65% drop. It will probably make under a third what TLJ did, but TLJ will still get the blame for Solo's low numbers for some reason. I made a long list of reasons as to why this movie is underperforming last week, but this biggest reason was the first one I mentioned, that there was just so little interest from the audience in a Han Solo movie from day 1. Like people were actively asking for it not to happen during it's entire production process. I still don't believe that Boba Fett thing is happening until someone from LF or the director-writer says so.

This would be a great time for LF to start talking about their upcoming SW projects, most of which have nothing to do with familiar concepts or characters. Shut down the narrative that SW can't do anything new.
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 11:20 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:

@californiagirl

@Cowgirlsamurai

@Darth Dingbat

The T-shirt you owe me says it all: I'am too old for this SITH! lol!

Plot holes aside - I'am sticking to my opinion that Solo is a fun movie something I would expect of a movie revolving around Han Solo.

I can't help but roll my eyes on #unnecessary# argument (sorry guys it's nothing personal - just my take on things).

So what is necessary in the SW Universe now? And how come "unnecessary" argument is suddenly IN now out of nowhere when the film is out - when no one has been speaking about it - let's say a year ago?

Another movie about the Death Star? Kenobi movie ? - when everything important around Obi was covered in the multiple installments - and don't tell me that the movie about an old hermit sitting on a rock staring at the twin suns sunset while watching over his young protegee would be interesting?
Movie about young Luke and his adventures at the Toschee statiton?
Bobba Fett? Darth Maul? Poe Dameron? adventures? (just joking).

Truth to be told - I'd watch all of the movies mentioned above (some of them with less interest some of them with more )except the Poe one and probably wouldn't think of any of them as unnecessary.

The SW fandom is full of WTF moments - and I must say I'am becoming very fatigued with everything.

Another example just to end my saltiness with:

December 2015 - Everybody and their mother: Ay ay ay they killed Han Solo - my childhood hero! How can I live without him. I'am ruined. That Kylo must die!!!!! Sad Sad Sad

May 2018 - Everybody and their mother: Han Solo? Who? We don't need a movie about him.

ME: WTF?!?!

Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by teltaru on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 11:21 am

@Cowgirlsamurai

This is what I’m talking about when I say “nitpicking the logic” of the movie. Jenny didn’t do this with TLJ which she mostly gushed about...

I really like Jenny for speaking her mind, whether or not I personally agree with what she says. But I do think her overly positive attitude about TLJ is coloured by her connection to Rian Johnson. By giving her shout-outs on twitter, Rian has basically kickstarted her professional YouTube career. She was basically treated like Lucasfilm VIP during the TLJ campaign, too.

teltaru
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 11:37 am

@Darth_Awakened I wouldn't say this came out of nowhere, a year ago there was little interest in Solo either, and questioning why LF was making it. As opposed to more episode movies, which bring in the bank. That only hurt when the movie actually came out, because people were already preconditioned to hate it. Which is a terrible way to approach anything, really. RO had so much hype going into it, being the first non-episode SW movie probably helped, and only later acquired a reputation of being "unnecessary" and cash-grabby.

People were upset Han died in TFA, but it was assumed that was the end of him, I never got the impression many viewers or fans wanted the young Han origin story. Then the L&M firing happened, and that just made the already-shaky reputation of the film worse. When the premise alone isn't interesting to the audience, then the studio has such big problems they have to remake most of it, that's a huge obstacle to get anyone to come out to see it.

It doesn't seem people want an Obi-Wan movie, they just like Ewan McGregor. Nor the Fett one. The only thing I've seen fans actually get excited about is the concept of an Old Republic anything. TV show, movie, movie series, every single project that gets announced in SW, "Is it Old Republic???" or "Why isn't this KotOR?????" or "They should do KotoR instead, Disney sucks, they don't know what SW fans want." I hope that the B&W series is Old Republic just so people will hush up. It would do the SW fandom a world of good to get something that interested them from the beginning.

@teltaru Yeah, Rian acknowledges her on Twitter sometimes. She got to go to the TLJ premiere. But she started her Patreon for YT a couple years ago, and had a SW show on another, larger, professional channel for a bit. Rian boosted her along, but she already had a following on some level. And she wanted many of the same things Reylos did, so I'm not surprised TLJ made her happy. The love extends to TFA as well. Hope she takes the Reylo well when that goes down.
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 11:45 am

@californiagirl wrote:@Darth_Awakened I wouldn't say this came out of nowhere, a year ago there was little interest in Solo either, and questioning why LF was making it. As opposed to more episode movies, which bring in the bank. That only hurt when the movie actually came out, because people were already preconditioned to hate it. Which is a terrible way to approach anything, really. RO had so much hype going into it, being the first non-episode SW movie probably helped, and only later acquired a reputation of being "unnecessary" and cash-grabby.

People were upset Han died in TFA, but it was assumed that was the end of him, I never got the impression many viewers or fans wanted the young Han origin story. Then the L&M firing happened, and that just made the already-shaky reputation of the film worse. When the premise alone isn't interesting to the audience, then the studio has such big problems they have to remake most of it, that's a huge obstacle to get anyone to come out to see it.

It doesn't seem people want an Obi-Wan movie, they just like Ewan McGregor. Nor the Fett one. The only thing I've seen fans actually get excited about is the concept of an Old Republic anything. TV show, movie, movie series, every single project that gets announced in SW, "Is it Old Republic???" or "Why isn't this KotOR?????" or "They should do KotoR instead, Disney sucks, they don't know what SW fans want." I hope that the B&W series is Old Republic just so people will hush up. It would do the SW fandom a world of good to get something that interested them from the beginning.

@teltaru Yeah, Rian acknowledges her on Twitter sometimes. She got to go to the TLJ premiere. But she started her Patreon for YT a couple years ago, and had a SW show on another, larger, professional channel for a bit. Rian boosted her along, but she already had a following on some level. And she wanted many of the same things Reylos did, so I'm not surprised TLJ made her happy. The love extends to TFA as well. Hope she takes the Reylo well when that goes down.
@californiagirl

After everything I've seen so far in this fandom: I doubt that the Old Republic would satisfy them - I doubt that anything would satisfy them at this point.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 12:04 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:After everything I've seen so far in this fandom: I doubt that the Old Republic would satisfy them - I doubt that anything would satisfy them at this point.
@Darth_Awakened

Okay, maybe so. I just thought it notable that SW fans actually sounded excited about something. Even if it doesn't actually work, look at them actually liking the idea of a new SW thing! That never happens!
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 12:20 pm

@californiagirl wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:After everything I've seen so far in this fandom: I doubt that the Old Republic would satisfy them - I doubt that anything would satisfy them at this point.
@Darth_Awakened

Okay, maybe so. I just thought it notable that SW fans actually sounded excited about something. Even if it doesn't actually work, look at them actually liking the idea of a new SW thing! That never happens!
@californiagirl

After Solo, I've also seen a lot of enthusiasm for a Maul film.

But how enthusiastically the GA would greet either the Old Republic or Maul, remains to be seen.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 12:56 pm

I actually liked the salty review from "Knights of Rant"- I even get their points...I'm just not as bothered by it.

"Oh, my God! The evil crime syndicate are doing evil things!!!" affraid  affraid  affraid  Laughing

I also have a different opinion on the Han/Qi'ra thing. Maybe because I'm a bit older and my husband was already divorced when we met...
You may think you found the one true love of your life - especially when your a teenager/early twenties. But when you finally move in together you learn not everything is that great. Not to say all teenage or first love had to fail...but it not always works out either.
And that's what I think would've happen with Han and Qi'ra. Han is in love with a girl that doesn't exist anymore. And sooner or later he would've realized that. I don't think Han cared more for Qi'ra as his son or Leia- he just deals differently with his feelings when he's older.

Anyway.I'm not as invested in Solo as I'm in the ST- so I like it for what it is...a adventure and heist movie.
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 1:20 pm

Real talk, I always figured Han being a "Han shot first" type of self-serving a**hole was somebody who had a woman in every port and slept around without emotional attachments before he met Leia. Which obviously is going to work for a Disney backed film meant to appeal to all ages. And in the original version of the first movie, he was shown as much. Including getting a drink thrown in his face for calling a woman by the name of a different girlfriend. If anything giving him a teenage girlfriend/first love makes him "too nice" to the way I've thought of the character.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum