Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Page 31 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by nickandnora on Mon 5 Nov - 15:24

Argh, from that interview:

I’m also moved by straightforward things like the writing in Ordinary People. You know that movie?

For sure.

There’s this scene in the hallway when he [Timothy Hutton’s character] is like, “You took trig?” And she [Mary Tyler Moore’s character] goes, “Did I take trig?” It’s very beautiful. There’s also a scene where those two are outside and he’s trying to talk about Bucky, the brother who died, and she’s talking about something else and he starts barking like a dog. So there’s the formal structure of the script — the lines that are spoken — and then there’s something abstract, too. I want to make sure that I don’t shut myself off from that abstract thing.
Ordinary People is one of my favourite movies. I could talk about Ordinary People literally all day, and dissect the performances (but especially Timothy Hutton's freaking transcendentally perfect portrayal of a teen struggling with survivor's guilt). But here's the thing: no one ever wants to talk about Ordinary People with me because it's just not that popular of a classic. We have a running joke in our household that something will make me think of that movie and I'll start talking about it and my husband's eyes will just glaze over, lol.

Point being, of course I find a person who's interested in that movie and it's Adam Driver, who I cannot actually contact and have a normal-person conversation with.

Though it would make for an interesting fan letter: "Dear Adam Driver, I am a HUGE fan... of your Ordinary People fandom. Please contact me at your nearest convenience to discuss Calvin, Beth, and Conrad Jarrett, as no one else in the universe wants to discuss this topic with me. I anxiously await your response in perpetuity, as I understand it might take you awhile to get back to me since you are a famous actor, which is really a huge inconvenience and total bummer. Fondest regards, ________________."

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 5 Nov - 15:44

@nickandnora wrote:Argh, from that interview:

I’m also moved by straightforward things like the writing in Ordinary People. You know that movie?

For sure.

There’s this scene in the hallway when he [Timothy Hutton’s character] is like, “You took trig?” And she [Mary Tyler Moore’s character] goes, “Did I take trig?” It’s very beautiful. There’s also a scene where those two are outside and he’s trying to talk about Bucky, the brother who died, and she’s talking about something else and he starts barking like a dog. So there’s the formal structure of the script — the lines that are spoken — and then there’s something abstract, too. I want to make sure that I don’t shut myself off from that abstract thing.
Ordinary People is one of my favourite movies. I could talk about Ordinary People literally all day, and dissect the performances (but especially Timothy Hutton's freaking transcendentally perfect portrayal of a teen struggling with survivor's guilt). But here's the thing: no one ever wants to talk about Ordinary People with me because it's just not that popular of a classic. We have a running joke in our household that something will make me think of that movie and I'll start talking about it and my husband's eyes will just glaze over, lol.

Point being, of course I find a person who's interested in that movie and it's Adam Driver, who I cannot actually contact and have a normal-person conversation with.

Though it would make for an interesting fan letter: "Dear Adam Driver, I am a HUGE fan... of your Ordinary People fandom. Please contact me at your nearest convenience to discuss Calvin, Beth, and Conrad Jarrett, as no one else in the universe wants to discuss this topic with me. I anxiously await your response in perpetuity, as I understand it might take you awhile to get back to me since you are a famous actor, which is really a huge inconvenience and total bummer. Fondest regards, ________________."
@nickandnora

We actually watched/analyzed Ordinary People in my AP English class in high school because so many of the themes were similar to Catcher in the Rye, but obviously, there's never been a film adaptation of that book. (My English teacher always rewarded our class with viewings of the novels that we read at the end of our units on those books.) It's definitely an underrated classic film.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Mon 5 Nov - 16:13

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@nickandnora wrote:Argh, from that interview:

For sure.

@nickandnora

We actually watched/analyzed Ordinary People in my AP English class in high school because so many of the themes were similar to Catcher in the Rye, but obviously, there's never been a film adaptation of that book. (My English teacher always rewarded our class with viewings of the novels that we read at the end of our units on those books.)  It's definitely an underrated classic film.
@ISeeAnIsland

I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve never watched Ordinary People. The only thing I know Timothy Hutton from is The Haunting of Hill House where he played older Hugh Crain. Really showing my age here Embarassed

This is interesting, re: Adam’s interview:

Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 6 Nov - 4:41

It's a good interview but I had to laugh a little over the True West reference because that play and the anthology it's in is such a classic, serious young actor touchstone

I mean, he's not as insufferable as Ethan Hawke has ever been, but maybe having grown up with one of the adults in my life being originally a New York theater actor (aka a very serious artist), I have to laugh a little over that reference.

And the SW quotes, yes they're working towards turning the character exactly into the stock rote 2 dimension character who'll be killed off in a spectacular manner by Rey and the BFG because he never deserved his amazing parents. Just like how various fanboy experts in venues like Twitter and the Sunken Place have mansplained to us for almost 3 years now. JJ cares more about keeping Steve from the Internet happy than in delivering a great movie which is the finale of a 40 year Saga franchise which references classic literature, mythology, and the Golden Age of Cinema.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Wed 7 Nov - 11:41

Here is Forbes discussing the “course correction” discourse.
Forbes just called it the “Reylo trilogy” LOL
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/11/06/star-wars-episode-ix-box-office-last-jedi-solo-disney-lucasfilm/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“All Disney and Lucasfilm need to do is make a halfway decent Star Wars Episode IX that finishes the Reylo trilogy in a way that works as crowd-pleasing and politically relevant entertainment. They don’t need to retcon The Last Jedi, they don’t need to refashion Episode IX as a glorified remake of Return of the Jedi and they surely don’t need to make a movie that placates the adult (white male) Star Wars fans who believe that their Star Wars fandom is the only one that matters. Whatever course corrections may or may not be in store can and should wait until after the next film, since there will be lots to consider in terms of keeping Star Wars “big” without the explicit connection to the Skywalker/Solo stories”

Riri
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Wed 7 Nov - 13:18

@Riri wrote:Here is Forbes discussing the “course correction” discourse.
Forbes just called it the “Reylo trilogy” LOL
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/11/06/star-wars-episode-ix-box-office-last-jedi-solo-disney-lucasfilm/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“All Disney and Lucasfilm need to do is make a halfway decent Star Wars Episode IX that finishes the Reylo trilogy in a way that works as crowd-pleasing and politically relevant entertainment. They don’t need to retcon The Last Jedi, they don’t need to refashion Episode IX as a glorified remake of Return of the Jedi and they surely don’t need to make a movie that placates the adult (white male) Star Wars fans who believe that their Star Wars fandom is the only one that matters. Whatever course corrections may or may not be in store can and should wait until after the next film, since there will be lots to consider in terms of keeping Star Wars “big” without the explicit connection to the Skywalker/Solo stories”
@Riri
lol! lol! lol!
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Wed 7 Nov - 15:02

There's some more great quotes from that article.

The Force Awakens and its “welcome back, we missed you” introductory chapter is made a little stronger by virtue of seemingly setting up the sequel’s brutal takedown of generational nostalgia and the sequel’s value as a politically of-the-moment time capsule.

YES. Many people aren't really making the connections between TFA and TLJ. Though I would argue TFA has bits of deconstruction as well, TLJ just much more blatantly so.

Star Wars as it exists right now doesn’t need a course correction. Solo: A Star Wars Story didn’t bomb because of how audiences did or didn’t react to Star Wars: The Last Jedi. And Star Wars Episode IX’s box office fate won’t be decided by how folks felt about Solo... Moreover, Disney’s ability and willingness to sell the next chapter as not just the conclusion of the Rey/Kylo trilogy but also the final episode in the 41-year-old Skywalker/Solo is Disney’s biggest trump card.

He calls it the Rey/Kylo trilogy again, ha.

The author also notes how both the OT and PT had phenomenally successful first installments, the second is still extremely successful but takes a noticeable dip, and the third partially rebounds back, and the ST appears to be following suit. SW isn't dead or even in danger, really.
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Wed 7 Nov - 16:16

@californiagirl wrote:There's some more great quotes from that article.

The Force Awakens and its “welcome back, we missed you” introductory chapter is made a little stronger by virtue of seemingly setting up the sequel’s brutal takedown of generational nostalgia and the sequel’s value as a politically of-the-moment time capsule.

YES. Many people aren't really making the connections between TFA and TLJ. Though I would argue TFA has bits of deconstruction as well, TLJ just much more blatantly so.

Star Wars as it exists right now doesn’t need a course correction. Solo: A Star Wars Story didn’t bomb because of how audiences did or didn’t react to Star Wars: The Last Jedi. And Star Wars Episode IX’s box office fate won’t be decided by how folks felt about Solo... Moreover, Disney’s ability and willingness to sell the next chapter as not just the conclusion of the Rey/Kylo trilogy but also the final episode in the 41-year-old Skywalker/Solo is Disney’s biggest trump card.

He calls it the Rey/Kylo trilogy again, ha.

The author also notes how both the OT and PT had phenomenally successful first installments, the second is still extremely successful but takes a noticeable dip, and the third partially rebounds back, and the ST appears to be following suit. SW isn't dead or even in danger, really.
@californiagirl

He is the same author that wrote a column indicating that the new movies should have ended with TLJ, and he did not see a need for a third.

I am thinking he reflected more, or Reylos made a valid logical debate (of course Smile), and he now agrees.
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Thu 8 Nov - 4:13

Someone on Star Wars Leaks posted saying we should expect some news today/tomorrow (based on his timezone i guess)

Edit: Sleemo tweeted this
“Disney’s Q4 earnings call is today 11/8 at 4:30pm ET so any big Star Wars news should come from there.”

Last edited by Riri on Thu 8 Nov - 4:24; edited 1 time in total

Riri
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 8 Nov - 4:23

I’d guess that the “news” speculation is probably related to Disney’s earnings call.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyGaufrette on Thu 8 Nov - 7:44

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:I’d guess that the “news” speculation is probably related to Disney’s earnings call.
@ISeeAnIsland

Are those the same kind of meetings which ended up with SW trilogies announced (Rian's and D&D's) or is this something different?
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 8 Nov - 15:08

@LadyGaufrette wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:I’d guess that the “news” speculation is probably related to Disney’s earnings call.
@ISeeAnIsland

Are those the same kind of meetings which ended up with SW trilogies announced (Rian's and D&D's) or is this something different?
@LadyGaufrette

Frankly, I don't recall any news coming out of the Disney earnings calls in the past, although in news/spoiler droughts like this, there's been speculation that they could announce something.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyGaufrette on Fri 9 Nov - 7:18

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@LadyGaufrette wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland

@LadyGaufrette

Frankly, I don't recall any news coming out of the Disney earnings calls in the past, although in news/spoiler droughts like this, there's been speculation that they could announce something.
@ISeeAnIsland

Well, not a movie but they announced the Cassian live-action serie. Very Happy
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Sat 10 Nov - 4:29

Pretty sure Joonas was in Jordan too

Riri
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Tue 13 Nov - 19:55

Billie Lourd Says 'Star Wars: Episode IX' Is 'Magical' (Exclusive)

The late actress will make her last appearance as Leia in the upcoming film via unused footage from Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and as her daughter, Billie Lourd, describes, it will be "magical."

"I gotta watch myself because the Star Wars PD is going to come get me, but it is incredible," Lourd, who plays Lieutenant Connix in the latest Star Wars trilogy, tells ET. "I've read the script and I've been on set. I was on set for, like, three weeks back in September, and it is going to be magical."

I’m wondering if she’s done with her filming. Again it’ll be interesting how they’ve incoprporated older footage of Carrie
https://www.etonline.com/why-billie-lourd-says-star-wars-episode-ix-is-magical-exclusive-113697
MrsWindu
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 13 Nov - 20:23

@MrsWindu wrote:

The late actress will make her last appearance as Leia in the upcoming film via unused footage from Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and as her daughter, Billie Lourd, describes, it will be "magical."

"I gotta watch myself because the Star Wars PD is going to come get me, but it is incredible," Lourd, who plays Lieutenant Connix in the latest Star Wars trilogy, tells ET. "I've read the script and I've been on set. I was on set for, like, three weeks back in September, and it is going to be magical."

I’m wondering if she’s done with her filming. Again it’ll be interesting how they’ve incoprporated older footage of Carrie
https://www.etonline.com/why-billie-lourd-says-star-wars-episode-ix-is-magical-exclusive-113697
@MrsWindu

Thanks for sharing this! "Magical" sure doesn't sound like a bleak, hopeless ending.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by tukicarreno on Tue 13 Nov - 21:52

@MrsWindu wrote:

@MrsWindu

Ahh! Thanks Billie! This is music to my ears. Magical doesn't sound like a tragic ending to me. So here's hoping!
tukicarreno
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 13 Nov - 23:12

Magical, huh? Kinda like JJ's DVD director's commentary line, You're probably going to have a castle, and a prince and a princess, if you're looking at a fairy tale. Definitely an interesting choice of words a la the Brez's calling the Force plot's central relationship "tempestuous."
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by PalmettoBlue Yesterday at 13:57

Did she say old footage from The Last Jedi? I thought they had announced The Force Awakens.....
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris24601 Yesterday at 16:00

@PalmettoBlue wrote:Did she say old footage from The Last Jedi? I thought they had announced The Force Awakens.....
@PalmettoBlue
I had read they'd be using a bit of both.

One rumor that has also circulated in the wake of Carrie's death as the writing for IX was getting started was that because of Carrie's health Rian shot some extra bits with Carrie "just in case." Its never been confirmed either way, but if true the stick in the eye to the haters would be fabulous as Rian's choices for the extra bits would certainly force the story in the direction Rian intended (not that JJ wasn't on board with that; he was a producer and openly stated that he wished that The Last Jedi was his script because Rian had so knocked it out of the park).

Chris24601
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Yesterday at 16:28

I hope it’s from TLJ because Carrie roasted JJ for dressing her like a classy gas station attendant in that jumpsuit, hence her wardrobe under Rian’s watch being more regal. Either way, under California state law Billie owns the rights to her image so whatever decision they made had to go through her, so she has to know a lot about the story
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Yesterday at 17:03

How're they going to conclude things, though? I doubt they have any footage of Carrie and Adam together. Sad  

A Leia and Ben reunion would be the most "magical" in my book. Ah well, must trust the powers that be.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by tukicarreno Yesterday at 17:44

@tukicarreno wrote:
@MrsWindu wrote:

@MrsWindu

Ahh! Thanks Billie! This is music to my ears. Magical doesn't sound like a tragic ending to me. So here's hoping!
@tukicarreno

Well Billie said she read the whole script. So hopefully she meant the whole episode IX is magical. Can’t wait!
tukicarreno
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Yesterday at 17:47

I'm glad they are using footage from both films. Leia looks better in TLJ, but her views about Ben are much more positive in TFA. There's value to her depiction in both movies. Plus they can do some CGI for her clothes if they really want.
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Today at 6:46

Spoiler! Okay.. not a spoiler.. lol but I just want to celebrate - according to my sig we are... drum roll...

...less than 400 days away from Episode IX!!!
Claps  Claps  Claps  Claps  Claps  Claps
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum