Episode IX and Sequel Trilogy General Discussion

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Episode IX and Sequel Trilogy General Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: Episode IX and Sequel Trilogy General Discussion

Post by 12 Parsnips on Fri 31 May 2019, 4:50 am

@DeeBee
The helmets do look alike! But often the designers reuse "rejected" art concepts for other things later on down the line. For example, Phasma's armor was originally an early potential design for Kylo Ren that was rejected for him, and we know that Kylo Ren and Phasma aren't really connected other than both being in the FO. My guess would be they just thought the design was too cool to waste, but you never know with Star Wars. Wink

12 Parsnips
12 Parsnips
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Episode IX and Sequel Trilogy General Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: Episode IX and Sequel Trilogy General Discussion

Post by DeeBee on Fri 31 May 2019, 7:43 am

"@AhsokaTano  & @12 Parsnips
thanks! Yeah may mean nothing.. hopefully Zorii will not find her bliss in being a jedi killer! eek!

@Teo oswald -nice one!  haaa.. so romantic!

I've not seen this mentioned before.. so sorry if this is a repeat.. but I found these two canon quotes below veeeerrry interesting!
In the Last Shot: “Little Ben looked up groggily, those dark eyes settling on Han, studying him. Han had no idea how a two-year-old could have such ancient eyes. It was as if Ben had been waiting around for a millennium to show up at just this moment in history.
&
In the Rise of Skywalker trailer Luke Skywalker says: "We’ve passed on all we know. A thousand generations live in you now. But this is your fight. We’ll always be with you. No one’s ever really gone."

A millennium being a thousand years. chills!
I am going to guess that it is Ben that Luke is speaking to in the trailer when he says this!
sunny
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Fri 31 May 2019, 8:01 am

@DeeBee It could be to both Rey and Ben. It’s the last chapter so Luke saying that to both before a big fight against Palps in whatever form he is would close the loop. Legacy Boy and Nobody Girl fighting against the evil that has plagued the Galaxy for all these years with the moral (and physical?) support of FG. I can’t remember how it was translated in the teaser in French. I think it was intended for 1 person, but then TLJ was translated plural when it was meant singular so who knows. I try to not get attached to the idea though. I am still dreaming of a big fight à la LoTR.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Fri 31 May 2019, 10:02 pm

@SanghaRen wrote:@DeeBee It could be to both Rey and Ben. It’s the last chapter so Luke saying that to both before a big fight against Palps in whatever form he is would close the loop. Legacy Boy and Nobody Girl fighting against the evil that has plagued the Galaxy for all these years with the moral (and physical?) support of FG. I can’t remember how it was translated in the teaser in French. I think it was intended for 1 person, but then TLJ was translated plural when it was meant singular so who knows. I try to not get attached to the idea though. I am still dreaming of a big fight à la LoTR.
@SanghaRen

Yeah I can get on board with that no prob!
I think I’d express my view as I think Luke is talking to Ben- but he may also be speaking to Rey. Fun to play with. Once the full story is told I think I will be amazed at all the little hints that I’ve not noticed!
Oh yeah I’m not attached either -good plan!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sat 01 Jun 2019, 12:42 am

Oooh!

“We call upon the three—light, dark, and balance true. One is no greater than the others. Together, they unite, restore, center, and renew. We walk into the light, acknowledge the dark, and find balance within ourselves. The Force is strong.”
— Ancient Jedi mantra for Balance, Dooku: Jedi Lost by Cavan Scott

Reshare on tumblr by Corseque (https://corseque.tumblr.com/post/185252564872)
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano on Sat 01 Jun 2019, 2:52 am

Oooooh! @SW_Heroine_Journey wow! Great find ! Its blatant now ! Dark and light together and only together create balance and restore , renew , centre and unite ! I love it ! Yes!
Ps/I love your new avatar - I’ve got it as my phone screen saver . Reylo is happening ! Smile
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Sat 01 Jun 2019, 3:43 am

@DeeBee

Excellent observation, in fact I agree with you in saying that Luke's sentence could be directed to Ben Solo. If we think about it, it is probable. Luke himself in the previous episode told Kylo "see you around kid". It is a clear indication that we will review Kylo and Luke interacting again. and when he says "We’ll always be with you"
it can refer to the whole family.
However, Luke's phrases can also refer to Rey. I was very struck by the phrase "We'll always be with you".
who is that "we"? the order of the Jedi? her family?
we can speculate on this. I like to think that Luke's sentence is directed at Ben as a motivation to get him to do the right thing.

Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sat 01 Jun 2019, 8:53 am

@AhsokaTano wrote:Oooooh! @SW_Heroine_Journey wow! Great find ! Its blatant now ! Dark and light together and only together create balance and restore , renew , centre and unite ! I love it ! Yes!
Ps/I love your new avatar - I’ve got it as my phone screen saver . Reylo is happening ! Smile
@AhsokaTano

When I read it, and then I saw the source (official Disney/LF), I thought OMG! I also believe it foreshadows that Luke is talking to both Ben and Rey, when he says what we hear in the teaser "A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight" because they are successful with what the ancient Jedi mantra decreed, when others were not. Very Happy

It will be amazing to see that mantra in a visual way because we know J.J. can bring it!

Thank you!! Although it's unofficial, it's very telling the Minnie/Rey and Mickey/Ben tweet/artwork is still up - Disney is very protective of Minnie & Mickey depictions, and the fact that they don't care??? WINK! Very Happy haha!
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by MaddieDove on Sat 01 Jun 2019, 1:24 pm

Since the trailer was released, I've been thinking that Luke's talking to both of them, especially because simultaneously JJ's main line of selling the movie, at the Celebration, was that it deals with this new generation and how they will respond to the situation.

“This trilogy is about this young generation, this new generation, having to deal with all the debt that has come before.
And it’s the sins of the father, and it’s the wisdom and the accomplishments of those who did great things, but it’s also those who committed atrocities, and the idea that this group is up against this unspeakable evil and are they prepared? Are they ready? What have they learned from before?”

It's obvious it's plural - they, the new generation, are Ben and Rey. Luke is talking to them.

As of "we" in Luke's quote, I supposed it's at least Luke and Anakin as FGs. JJ mentioned sins of the father, those who committed atrocities (-> Anakin). Thousands of generations of Jedi are the legacy that our Force-sensitive young people carry within them. All the wisdom gained from successes but also from defeats, from Jedi order systematic failures, to individual falls of Anakin and Ben.
MaddieDove
MaddieDove
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 9:42 am

I cross referenced the source for this as I found it in the Express. It’s from a talk that Maryanne Brandon, the editor of TROS made a few days back

https://www.carseywolf.ucsb.edu/pollock-events/star-trek-2009/

STAR WARS: EPISODE 9’s editor has spoken out on how she and JJ Abrams have coped with having a very tight deadline to complete the movie....Maryann Brandon has worked with Abrams many times, and reunited with him for The Rise of Skywalker, due in December.... But it’s a much quicker process than when they made 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens, meaning Brandon actually had to be on set with Abrams to start cutting footage together as they were still shooting. In a talk at the Carsey-Wolf Center in Santa Barbara, she opened up on what that was like.“I did this thing on cutting Rise of Skywalker - and we have a very short schedule,” she said....”For this film, we didn’t start until August, so we weren’t done until February shooting - so we have four months less time, and it’s a very big film....So I convinced JJ to let me cut on the set. He was like, ‘no, we never do that’...She added: “I was like, ‘just try it, so I can start turning over shots’.
“So I was on the set the entire time, and he got so used to it that he was like, ‘you need to be less than ten feet away from me at all times’ - so if the camera would move 10 feet, I would move 10 feet....I was everywhere! Outside, in a water tank…Despite the high pressure, this approach ended up being hugely beneficial. Brandon went on: “On this film I got to know the cast really well, I was literally part of the crew. It was really great for me....“I watched what they were shooting, I was cutting what they were shooting the day before… I had the DP right there to ask questions.If I needed a shot, or if JJ decided we needed another shot, we would set up in a corner and get a green screen shot of something....“Getting to know the cast and having them be comfortable with me, it was a really great way to understand what they were going through.

I don’t know enough about the filming process but it sure sounds like she had pre-empted the scale of the task on TROS by editing as soon as a they were done with a shot ? I’m assuming this is in the Vimeo video but I can’t watch it right now as I’m on a train.
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 10:57 am

@MrsWindu Oh wow, that's the same woman who's been JJ's main editor going back to Felicity and she did a talk 3 years after TFA came out with her co-editor (also works for JJ) that spilled a lot of detail about the Force Back. We talked about it a lot in Spring-Summer 2016 literally as an example of the female gaze in the ST.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 11:35 am

@snufkin

Thanks for all the links - it’s good to read these older posts (back from when I would have been a lurker) I love reading about how they thrashed out these ideas and what eventually made it to the final cut

EDIT
@snufkin I watched most of it and she mentions Kylo / Adam briefly at the end of this video tweet

https://twitter.com/script2screensb/status/1136324956072030208?s=21

And also on the Vimeo around 27mins she said Adam did NOT want to see anything he’d just shot
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 7:57 pm

@MrsWindu You're welcome! I remember her previous appearance at that venue was for TFA right after Margaret Sexel had won the Oscar for editing Fury Road. Which it used to be that editing was a job primarily done by women, like Marcia Lucas who's known for turning the original movie into the piece it is today. Or icons like Thelma Schoonmaker or Anne V. Coates (who did Lawrence of Arabia and Out of Sight). But like everything else, once it gets to a certain level of respect/visibility, the men come in and take it over. But she's worked with JJ going back to Felicity. It's interesting hearing how in this situation, she started editing on set because of the compressed production schedule but her being part of the tech crew and developing work relationships with the cast will probably help inform the final product. While I think that TLJ is a beautiful film thanks to the cinematography and use of color, people tend to overlook how well put together/edited TFA's visuals were too.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Tue 18 Jun 2019, 9:29 am

Lindsey Romain with another (chef's kiss) article with Nerdist

Why Kylo Ren Should Be Redeemed in STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

https://nerdist.com/article/why-kylo-ren-redeemed-star-wars-rise-of-skywalker/

"Luke sacrificed his life to face Kylo and restore hope to the galaxy. His parting words to Leia were those of hope that her son wasn’t lost. Han also died after promising Leia their son could come home. If Ben Solo remains Kylo Ren, or dies a villain, the sequel trilogy—and, in turn, Luke and Han’s sacrifices—makes little sense, and serves little purpose. This should be, as has been laid out, the story of how Rey and Ben bring balance to the Force and peace to the galaxy. Redemption is necessary for balance, for peace, for karma. Ben Solo, like the great fallen and restored heroes before him, deserves salvation, and his own place in myth."
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano on Tue 18 Jun 2019, 10:01 am

@SW_Heroine_Journey
Thanks for posting Smile This part in particular :

“This should be, as has been laid out, the story of how Rey and Ben bring balance to the Force and peace to the galaxy. Redemption is necessary for balance, for peace, for karma. “

Exactly ! Exactly! Thumbs up For the sake of everything beloved in Star Wars this has to be the final outcome even if we and the characters go through harrowing pain and anguish to get there otherwise the entire skywalker saga has lost hope . And this is a saga built on hope .
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Tue 18 Jun 2019, 9:29 pm

@AhsokaTano wrote:@SW_Heroine_Journey
Thanks for posting Smile    This part in particular :

“This should be, as has been laid out, the story of how Rey and Ben bring balance to the Force and peace to the galaxy. Redemption is necessary for balance, for peace, for karma. “

Exactly ! Exactly! Thumbs up For the sake of everything beloved in Star Wars this has to be the final outcome even if we and the characters go through harrowing pain and anguish to get there otherwise the entire skywalker saga has lost hope  . And this is a saga built on hope .
@AhsokaTano

bounce Squee!

I am amused observing the antis and fanboys trying to reconcile this because they see the writing on the wall.

"This is predictable" Really? Because I know OG Reylos were told how ridiculous Bendemption is, and when Reylos were the minority, they were driven out by the majority at SW forums (which is why this wonderful one exists).

"Darth Vader did not deserve redemption" Ah, I see what's happening.  They are moving the goalpost because they want to be negative, plus, you (generic you) never understood what SW is -as you (AhsokaTano) mentioned...HOPE! Very Happy
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachelmckellar34 on Wed 19 Jun 2019, 1:55 pm

what date is the Rise Of Skywalker  Comic Con Panel ?

Rachelmckellar34
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria26 on Wed 19 Jun 2019, 2:06 pm

I seriously need some actual Reylo infos on the movie. I feel like everything we know so far is still pretty vague and up in the air. Hopefully the trailer give us a little bit more.
Maria26
Maria26
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Wed 19 Jun 2019, 10:07 pm

@Rachelmckellar34 wrote:what date is the Rise Of Skywalker  Comic Con Panel ?
@Rachelmckellar34

A TROS presence has not been confirmed for SDCC (myself, I think the only LF presence there will be publishing, TV, and gaming, but I could be wrong), yet it has been confirmed for D23 in August.
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sat 22 Jun 2019, 8:27 pm

General statement I have (will be in spoiler section) about Toy Story 4, which ties to IX/ST

Spoiler:
It's very broad, but Disney, with Toy Story 4, is showing that not only do they love to introduce a "villain" - but the villain (in this situation, villainess, yet generally speaking - the villain,)  is sympathetic, to the point the heroes feel empathy, and try to help the villain.   All is forgiven, there is no Law and Order/JAG crime trial/proceedings - lol, there is only empathy, which causes the once villain, now anti-hero/hero to feel immense empathy as well. She sees a little girl, who is crying a lost, and just wants to help her, as much as a toy can! The turnaround is beautiful!
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sat 22 Jun 2019, 9:14 pm

@SW_Heroine_Journey Also just saw Toy Story 4 today, and I also thought
Spoiler:
that new, empowered Bo Peep is totally like scavenger Rey, but with more friends!
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sat 22 Jun 2019, 9:21 pm

@californiagirl wrote:@SW_Heroine_Journey Also just saw Toy Story 4 today, and I also thought
Spoiler:
that new, empowered Bo Peep is totally like scavenger Rey, but with more friends!
@californiagirl

Very Happy

Spoiler:
That jumped out at me too!  Also, although they separated the villain (well, villainess) redemption story from the love story, Toy Story 4 definitely showed that Disney loves a romantic HEA for the empowered heroine!  She definitely did not change for Woody, nor decide to join him.  It was the man who was selfless to stay with her, yet the decision empowered him, as well!
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano on Sun 23 Jun 2019, 10:31 am

Warning don’t read unless you have seen toy story 4 ( as not sure how to do spoilers on this forum Sad )

Ok am glad it’s not just me that noticed this about Toy Story 4. Am almost convinced that this is part of the Rise of skywalker marketing ie that through their other works especially this year that they are prepping us for Rise of Skywalker. The villain/anti hero in this is motivated by loneliness. Did anyone notice that Gabby the villain anti hero wanted Woody for his voice box ? She wants to take what she wanted and needed without thinking of its impact but because it met her needs . Just like Kylo said he had what he needed in the forest in TFA when he put a spell on Rey to put her to sleep and carried her away. Gabby just wanting to take woody’s voice box also made me think of kylo saying he could take what he wanted in interrogation scene in TFA (yet he didn’t of course) .
There is something kylo/Ben needs - love but Rey has to give it selflessly to him just like he has to . He has to let go of his own selfish needs no matter how much he wants Rey because true Love is selfless .

Also noticed how again ( like in Aladdin with Ja’far ‘s trance voice ) that when Gabby’s broken voice box slowed down and said I love you that it sounded like kylo with modulator mask .

Bo’ reminded me of Rey complete with injured arm covered up .

And Forkie lighting up at the end when he saw female forkie made me think of kylo seeing Rey in the snow in TFA but what I found most intriguing was how forkie and female forkie both thought of themselves as trash ( thrown away like Rey and Ben by their families ) and female forkie says “ how am I alive?”. Made me think what on earth is going to happen in Rise of Skywalker?????? Are these hints of things to come ? I also liked how When asked if Woody was a lost toy , Buzz said Woody wasn’t lost anymore ( because he had found love and belonging ). I want this for Rey and Ben as they are currently two lost souls without each other .
Roll on The Lion king and Spider-Man far from home .
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sun 23 Jun 2019, 11:11 am

@AhsokaTano wrote:Warning don’t read unless you have seen toy story 4 ( as not sure how to do spoilers on this forum Sad )

Ok am glad it’s not just me that noticed this about Toy Story 4. Am almost convinced that this is part of the Rise of skywalker marketing ie that through their other works especially this year that they are prepping us for Rise of Skywalker. The villain/anti hero in this is motivated by loneliness. Did anyone notice that Gabby the villain anti hero wanted Woody for his voice box ? She wants to take what she wanted and needed without thinking of its impact but because it met her needs . Just like Kylo said he had what he needed in the forest in TFA when he put a spell on Rey to put her to sleep and carried her away. Gabby just wanting to take woody’s voice box also made me think of kylo saying he could take what he wanted in interrogation scene in TFA (yet he didn’t of course) .
There is something kylo/Ben needs - love but Rey has to give it selflessly to him just like he has to . He has to let go of his own selfish needs no matter how much he wants Rey because true Love is selfless .

Also noticed how again ( like in Aladdin with Ja’far ‘s trance voice ) that when Gabby’s broken voice box slowed down and said I love you that it sounded like kylo with modulator mask .

And Forkie lighting up at the end when he saw female forkie made me think of kylo seeing Rey in the snow in TFA but what I found most intriguing was how forkie and female forkie both thought of themselves as trash ( thrown away like Rey and Ben by their families ) and female forkie says “ how am I alive?”. Made me think what on earth is going to happen in Rise of Skywalker?????? Are these hints of things to come ? I also liked how When asked if Woody was a lost toy , Buzz said Woody wasn’t lost anymore ( because he had found love and belonging ). I want this for Rey and Ben as they are currently two lost souls without each other .
@AhsokaTano

Indeed! Roll on! Very Happy Not certain if it's part of TROS's marketing, yet it definitely shows that Disney doesn't have the same mindset about villains, and how they are treated, that parallels the antis and fanboys. Smile

I am most intrigued about if the antis and fanboys that demand a war crimes/criminal crime trial for Ben are "whatever" about Gabby Gabby. Their biggest reasoning is "What about the children! What message does this send to the children?!" Well, more children/kids will see Toy Story 4, versus TROS. I probably will never know, but I bet they will let it slide. lol

And it's emphasized, it doesn't matter what Gabby Gabby did in her past. I mean, wow! Forky and Woody were consumed with nothing but worry, concern, and empathy when Hannah tossed her away. And to see Gabby Gabby's feelings and actions for the lost little girl...so beautiful!
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Sun 23 Jun 2019, 6:55 pm

@SW_Heroine_Journey wrote:
@AhsokaTano wrote:Warning don’t read unless you have seen toy story 4 ( as not sure how to do spoilers on this forum Sad )

@AhsokaTano

Indeed! Roll on! Very Happy Not certain if it's part of TROS's marketing, yet it definitely shows that Disney doesn't have the same mindset about villains, and how they are treated, that parallels the antis and fanboys. Smile

I am most intrigued about if the antis and fanboys that demand a war crimes/criminal crime trial for Ben are "whatever" about Gabby Gabby. Their biggest reasoning is "What about the children! What message does this send to the children?!" Well, more children/kids will see Toy Story 4, versus TROS. I probably will never know, but I bet they will let it slide. lol

And it's emphasized, it doesn't matter what Gabby Gabby did in her past. I mean, wow! Forky and Woody were consumed with nothing but worry, concern, and empathy when Hannah tossed her away. And to see Gabby Gabby's feelings and actions for the lost little girl...so beautiful!
@SW_Heroine_Journey

I also saw toy story 4, i really liked how they turned around gabby's story. I was not interested in seeing 4 because i thought 3 was perfect end but I was very satisfied actually by this end. It truly was about loneliness and knowing your worth. I also really admired Woody's selflessness, he's come along way since 1 where he was so jealous of buzz lol. Bo peep was def Rey haha!

And i actually thought Woody and Bo peep's end is how I imagine ben and rey have in the end. When woody is saying goodbye and goes to bo peep it was like wow they have found belonging with each other. Woody served his time as a leader but now it's time for him to have a bigger purpose for himself. I guess in this role woody = rey too. Although for rey and ben it'd be the beginning of rebuilding jedi tradition or whatever they decide to do.
rey09
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum