Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who would be the new Big Bad?

Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 9 ]
Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 5 ]
Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 7 ]
Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 9 ]
Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Vote_lcap32%Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 46

Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one?

Post by snufkin on Sat 13 Apr 2019, 3:27 pm

In light of the teaser and surprise reveal, I've started thinking about these old discussions from 2016 about how it ties together with Jakku and the peripheral materials focus on the Contingency Plan/Imperial Remnants

Why Does Everybody Want to go Back to Jakku?

The Empire Needs Children

I've seen griping about how unimaginative or boring this is, but within the context of a 3 part saga of 3 act plays focusing on generations caused by a rift, it makes complete sense. Also my friends who love the PT are happy, so I'm happy for them.

@Chris24601 VERY clever if the final shot in the trailer (which is referenced in the Art of book as an original design idea) plays into that whole line he says when he's trying to read her mind for the first time and gets distracted. It does seem that Ache-to was the place she'd had dreams and visions of, but that shot could be something also tied into their visions of the future and one another.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one?

Post by MaddieDove on Sat 13 Apr 2019, 3:54 pm

@Chris24601 wrote:
@Geralt_Riv wrote:@Chris24601
Yes. Also his words: "I will finish what you started" would get some meaning.  Smile
@Geralt_Riv
You know what would utterly flip the script?

If Kylo wasn’t being metaphorical in that line. What if Kylo’s known Palpatine is still alive this whole time... at least since he went and found Vader’s mask... and allowed himself to fall because he believes it’s the only way he’ll ever be strong enough to destroy Palpatine. He kills his father because he believes it’s the only way he’ll be strong enough to make all the other sacrifices he’ll have to.

And he’s had visions of A Girl who stood by him and was critical to defeating the Emperor. He’s realized The Girl is Rey, which is why he reacted so strongly to hearing about her initially, why he’s offered to train her, why he killed Snoke (perhaps ahead of schedule) for her, but he’s screwed it up because he’s under the mistaken belief he has to be in the dark to defeat the Emperor AND for her to stand by him she must be dark too.

@Chris24601

I was also thinking along these lines, especially when I thought about Luke's words from the teaser. "We've passed on all we know." If I imagine it's Anakin (grandfather) and Luke talking to Kylo and Rey, it means that they passed on all of their knowledge of both light and dark side, because all is necessary to defeat the ultimate evil. Ben received the training of the light side under Luke, and as Kylo he explored the dark side, so it make sense that somewhere along the way he got some ambition to make an end to all of that (the Jedi, the Sith, kill it if you have to), using that darkness.

Although, there is so much great meta and interpretation written about Ben/Kylo that try to explain his fall to the dark side in terms of human psychology, so I would love that the finalized story can support both interpretations - his psychological troubles (dark side as a metaphor for our internal struggles) as well as the in-story explanation (Palpatine, grandfather etc). I feel Rian could manage to bring it all together. I hope JJ, Terrio and K. Kenedy are up to the task as well.
MaddieDove
MaddieDove
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 10:17 am

@Chris24601 wrote:I’d say who takes Palpatine out will have a lot to do with how he returns.

Was he brought back by some secret ritual? Is it Palpatine’s spirit possessing a clone body?

Did he die at all? Was he just severely injured and enough survived that he could be kept on life support until implanting his mind into a new body (cloned or otherwise).

How long has he been back? Has he been secretly leading the First Order through Snoke this whole time? Was his “resurrection” a secret project that only came to fruition recently? Is he not yet back at all and the mission is to try and keep Palpatine from being reborn (necessarily failing so the heroes have to fight him)?

The answers to these will suggest whose role it is to truly destroy him. To take Avatar as an example, the redeemed villain couldn’t defeat the Big Bad... only the incorruptible hero could restore the balance, but he had another role to play. In others only the failed student who has seen the error of their ways can confront the evil and destroy it (thus cementing his redemption).

My money is on Ben with a very strong assist from Rey though for the primary reason that after Han’s death at his hands the story needs a Go Big Or Go Home act of redemption to sell Ben as a hero and stopping the reborn Emperor is just about the only thing that doesn’t involve sacrificing himself that would qualify enough for even the Resistance zealots like Poe to say “okay, you’re forgiven.”

You don’t get a final group hero shot like the end of TPM, ANH or RotJ without mass acceptance of Ben’s redemption... and they NEED the final group hero shot for it to feel like a Star Wars ending.
@Chris24601

Maybe Dreypa's Oubliette or some rendition of it could play a role, if they decide to re-introduce it to canon?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dreypa%27s_Oubliette

Who would be the new "Big Bad" for Ep IX? Do we really need one? - Page 2 Sith_l10
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSith on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 10:02 pm

I generally would like to see some sort of sinister figure looming in the background, if not simply to give Rey and Kylo the momentum they need to work out their interpersonal conflict.

I would like to see a mix of a few villains, but I'm starting to think this might become overwhelming and boggle down the closing of the entire 9-part saga Neutral

I think it would be interesting to have Hux as the villain within the FO to give Kylo the incentive to start thinking critically about whether or not he wants to continue even being a part of such an organization. It would also be interesting to have a Palpatine/Snoke type figure as the ultimate sinister presence in the background for Rey and Kylo to defeat together and undo the multi-generation curse on the Skywalker family.

But more importantly I would like to see the Force itself play a significant part in signifying to our protagonists about how to utilize it to the best of their abilities to create a more peaceful galaxy and Force Order moving forward.
JediSith
JediSith
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum