Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Press Tour & Interviews

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Press Tour & Interviews - Page 3 Empty Re: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Press Tour & Interviews

Post by snufkin on Sun 14 Apr - 22:26

@FrolickingFizzgig Ah yes I remember them well. See also:

#HairGate people losing their minds over social media posts for Oscar Isaac's concert & fundraiser because what is the state of his hair?!

#BookGate when Bloodline came out and didn't say anything about little Rey Skywalker studying with her Uncle Luke at his Jedi Academy.

#BruiseGate when the NYC Toy Fair released the first look at toys/collectibles with the first images of the BFG. Rey has a new hairstyle and a bruise on her forehead, fans worry about who gave it to her (turns out it was Snoke)

#BeatingHeartGate Rian's early press comments about how "Luke and Rey are the beating heart of the story" (dude LOL they hate each other)

Am I missing anything else?

ETA oh yeah #MindRapeGate - in which JJ supposedly allowed a terminal cancer patient to watch a rough cut of TFA because he was going to pass in hospice before it came out. Wife posts to Facebook that they discussed the Interogation Scene with JJ as being akin to rape. Claim was used as a cudgel for a year after before being debunked by Matt Martin when asked about it on Twitter.

Last edited by snufkin on Sun 14 Apr - 23:08; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Press Tour & Interviews - Page 3 Empty Re: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Press Tour & Interviews

Post by Riri on Sun 14 Apr - 22:33

@FrolickingFizzgig

You took the words out of my mouth!

She cannot reveal too much and she is talking from the perspective of TLJ. She is talking about unredeemed Kylo, but then said “but maybe there is redemption” unprompted aka it could be explored after he redeems himself.
Isn’t this what Reylo’s have been saying all along?. it reminded me of Lizzy and Darcy’s relationship in P&P, they only got together after he was “redeemed”, after he proved to her that he could be selfless and a good partner.
Also she didn’t deny it like FinnRey and Damerey “we’re just friends and family”. If she came out saying that abut Kylo i think i’d be more devastated tbh lol

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape on Sun 14 Apr - 22:39

@SheLitAFire wrote:
@Lovely_Rose wrote:The interview with Daisy is up. Essentially she says she can't get totally behind it "personally" because antis are talking about how toxic it is and that he's killed people... but who knows about the future.

https://twitter.com/sithreepio_/status/1117616123996803074
@Lovely_Rose

@whisperingwillow wrote:@Lovely_Rose

She did. She doesn't deny it just that because it is so tricky and that Kylo did bad stuff and people have issues with it she can't get behind it. She said in another interview she gave her opinion on it to JJ but we know from Mark they don't much care about what the actors fully want. It will be interesting to see and we have the spoilers that are Reylo related but that still sucks for the ugliness Reylo fans are going to get thrown at them.
@whisperingwillow

kinda spoilerish:
"I can't really get behind it....but maybe there's redemption, maybe we explore it in the film." I feel like she didn't mean just personal redemption for Ben, but between them too.

Plus, we know that Daisy had to talk through exploring Rey & Kylo scenes with JJ a lot on the film. We learned that in one of the interviews...so I bet that's what she had to work out in her own mind as they moved forward. I am surprised she was this forward in the interview though. She had just gotten done with smirking in the panel interview when Colbert asked about Reylo and saying "we shall have to wait and see."

She also used to like Reylo art on instagram when she was still on. So....  Nope  
@SheLitAFire

There’s a post-TLJ interview with her in which the interviewer tries to say that Kylo is irredeemable, and she disagrees and explains why.  But she’s a public persona in the age of Me Too, in a fandom that has driven both herself and Kelly Marie Tran off social media, and I can see people jumping on her if she as Daisy Ridley admits to being OK with a fictional romance that, translated to the real world, would (let’s be honest) raise some red flags.  It’s a space opera, Padme marries Anakin after he basically commits genocide in II, it’s not the real world— but she lives in the real world, and people seem to blur those lines.  She has to be pretty careful, I’d imagine.

There’s also the fact that the last film left off with him unredeemed and digging himself deeper into his Kylo Ren persona, and if she lets on that Reylo is OK with her, then she’s giving away that he redeems himself.

I don’t think that her giving her opinion to J.J. is necessarily bad. Carrie Fisher used to do the same, and even formally doctored the script. I cannot imagine Daisy signing on for something that she knows will be a romance and then announcing before part 3 of 3 that she thinks they should drop the romance. I CAN imagine her telling them what, as a woman, she thinks the prerequisites for that romance would have to be.

Just my 2 cents.
Lily Snape
Lily Snape
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano on Sun 14 Apr - 23:28

Hey all , been thinking since I saw that crack leak yesterday and now this interview with Daisy and the more I think about that crack leak , the more I think we are getting reylo but not the way we all thought . The force and destiny plays a massive role in reylo. Posted in predictions as this is not place to post but it’s crazy and I will prob change my mind tomorrow. Lol!

Last edited by AhsokaTano on Mon 15 Apr - 0:41; edited 1 time in total
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Mon 15 Apr - 0:22

I knew that though, hearing it is another matter Smile
Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Press Tour & Interviews - Page 3 Tumblr_inline_ppx9d12f5P1rt7xin_540

Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Press Tour & Interviews - Page 3 Tumblr_inline_ppx9fzZSWr1rt7xin_540

and I'm happy with that Smile
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Mon 15 Apr - 0:42

I'm sure this will not be the first time Daisy is going to be asked about Reylo, and I'm sure that her answers won't be any different. That's just how it's going to roll for the next few months.

On the bright side, Reylo's made huge progress since the days of TFA, when it was seen as a niche interest of a few incest-obsessed weirdos not worthy of mainstream attention.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Mon 15 Apr - 0:50

I watched the interview after reading comments and I literally laughed. She said she personally can't go behind this and "maybe if redemption happens" is telling it all. She could simply say "I can't see it happening" and it will be debunked.

I'm sure that a lot of people here knew that Daisy is not pro-Reylo. She was always giving these vibes during TLJ promo.
special_cases
special_cases
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Mon 15 Apr - 1:09

Daisy has had a chance to debunk Reylo so many times and honestly this one is the easiest. Just say that he isn't Reys type or smth, but no we know he is in fact. There is this compilation of gifs from antis side of ST actors making fun of Kylo, but at the same time in other video most of them wanted to play him or choose him over Rey.
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano on Mon 15 Apr - 1:09

Ok listening to those Daisy Ridley comments again it makes me think Bendemption is happening sooner rather than later in the film . That yes their relationship may still be tempestuous but then again look at Han and Leia. And this is maybe why we haven’t had a lot of Kylo/Ben in the trailer .
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Mon 15 Apr - 1:36

#RomanceGate will be always my fave. I've joined the forum that day because I wanted to "like" all your comments. I remember that thread was endless Very Happy
special_cases
special_cases
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Mon 15 Apr - 3:42

Daisy in a pre-TLJ interview:
"It’s funny how Adam [Driver, who plays Kylo Ren] talks about it[.] He said it’s not the difference between good and bad, it’s the difference between good and right. Like his character thinks what he’s doing is right. He doesn’t think he’s the big baddie. So the lines get blurred anyway. Good people make bad decisions. Bad people make good decisions. What Rian has done is this wonderful thing of morally questioning people in a way that makes you see them in a more three dimensional way, or just in a way that you haven’t seen before"

Daisy in THIS recent interview: “I do feel deep down Kylo likes to think he’s right and doesn’t think he’s wrong”

She is just repeating herself here and talking from a TLJ perspective, there is no way she's going to speak about his motivations in Episode 9.
After the interviewer mentions all the broken Reylo hearts, Daisy pretty much is like “no wait” and finally talks about TRoS and TEASES Bendemption, “maybe we explore it in the film”. She didn’t shoot it down, she could have easily left it at that and debunked Reylo, but she actually gave us hope for Reylo in Episode as long as redemption happens. She's gone on to debunk FinnRey and Damerey, saying they have friendship and family love.

She has already said they will explore their relationship on a “deeper level” in a previous interview this weekend. I think if anything, this fuels Bendemption (because she teased it unprompted). Very Happy

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Mon 15 Apr - 3:52

@Riri wrote:Daisy in a pre-TLJ interview:
"It’s funny how Adam [Driver, who plays Kylo Ren] talks about it[.] He said it’s not the difference between good and bad, it’s the difference between good and right. Like his character thinks what he’s doing is right. He doesn’t think he’s the big baddie. So the lines get blurred anyway. Good people make bad decisions. Bad people make good decisions. What Rian has done is this wonderful thing of morally questioning people in a way that makes you see them in a more three dimensional way, or just in a way that you haven’t seen before"

Daisy in THIS recent interview: “I do feel deep down Kylo likes to think he’s right and doesn’t think he’s wrong”

She is just repeating herself here and talking from a TLJ perspective, there is no way she's going to speak about his motivations in Episode 9.
After the interviewer mentions all the broken Reylo hearts, Daisy pretty much is like “no wait” and  finally talks about TRoS and TEASES Bendemption,  “maybe we explore it in the film”. She didn’t shoot it down, she could have easily left it at that and debunked Reylo, but she actually gave us hope for Reylo in Episode as long as redemption happens. She's gone on to debunk FinnRey and Damerey, saying they have friendship and family love.

She has already said they will explore their relationship on a “deeper level” in a previous interview this weekend. I think if anything, this fuels Bendemption (because she teased it unprompted).  Very Happy
@Riri

Actors surely have had a media training before and were briefed what should they answer in case some of the question comes up, especially reylo - Daisy probably was instructed to avoid definite answers, acknowledge all the versions and give the wait and see thingy. I imagine the PR people probably has some crazy times after all of these interviews with actors saying different stuff or being interpreted/misinterpreted.
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Mon 15 Apr - 4:01

If they wanted to debunk a Reylo they would have made it loud and clear. (And it's still possible). Either they will do it after final trailer or never. They won't give us false hope, they're perfectly aware of everything that happens in fandom. They need Reylo's support before the trailer because Reylo is the biggest positive power of SW right now. But after trailer either they will make the fall soft for us or Reylo is happening in some form. They don't want people to be devastated in the cinema, they debunked Rey Solo and Rey Skywalker to avoid it.
special_cases
special_cases
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia on Mon 15 Apr - 4:02

@snufkin wrote:@FrolickingFizzgig Ah yes I remember them well. See also:

#HairGate people losing their minds over social media posts for Oscar Isaac's concert & fundraiser because what is the state of his hair?!

#BookGate when Bloodline came out and didn't say anything about little Rey Skywalker studying with her Uncle Luke at his Jedi Academy.

#BruiseGate when the NYC Toy Fair released the first look at toys/collectibles with the first images of the BFG. Rey has a new hairstyle and a bruise on her forehead, fans worry about who gave it to her (turns out it was Snoke)

#BeatingHeartGate Rian's early press comments about how "Luke and Rey are the beating heart of the story" (dude LOL they hate each other)

Am I missing anything else?

ETA oh yeah #MindRapeGate - in which JJ supposedly allowed a terminal cancer patient to watch a rough cut of TFA because he was going to pass in hospice before it came out. Wife posts to Facebook that they discussed the Interogation Scene with JJ as being akin to rape. Claim was used as a cudgel for a year after before being debunked by Matt Martin when asked about it on Twitter.

There was also #PrincessGate a few weeks before TLJ came out, when a writer from GQ claimed that Adam let it slip in an interview Rey was a princess who was hiding her identity. It caused quite an uproar because until then most had assumed Rey did not know who her parents are, and of course antis and Reywalkers saw this reveal as proof that Rey was related to Princess Leia. Some were mad or worried that Adam had spoiled such an important thing and everyone was nagging Pablo on twitter about it, who seemed so confused about what was going on and didn't really want to comment, which was seen as further proof that it was true. A few days later we got the whole article with the interview and it turned out that Adam had compared Star Wars to The Hidden Fortress and had pointed out parallels between Kylo and Princess Yuki (hidden identity), but the interviewer had apparently never heard of the film, didn't get the reference and presented his wrong interpretation as fact.
Forsythia
Forsythia
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovely_Rose on Mon 15 Apr - 4:05

Hm.. GMA is supposed to present the Star Wars interviews today, right? I didn't see it in their opening.

Lovely_Rose
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by MindAndMagic on Mon 15 Apr - 4:18

I don't even bother watching those pre-release interviews because I know exactly what I'll hear (for the most part). It's always the same. Sometimes you get a strongly encouraging hint like the fact their relationship is explored in much greater depth, but it can't go beyond that to any explicit confirmation of anything. In short, there is nothing to worry about.

Daisy is 100000% talking about the state of things by the end of TLJ. She CAN'T say anything about what happens in IX safe for a few statements that are vague enough (e.g. "explored in greater depth" can be interpreted in many different ways depending which side of the fence you're on). Especially not 8 months before release. The way Kylo is at the end of TLJ, romance can't happen and it won't be good for either of them. Plain and simple. So that answer is perfectly logical. it's exactly what you would say to that question if you want to avoid spoilers. I don't think it points to Daisy not being a fan of the pairing either, we have many more instances of her being positive about the dynamic, including the latest interviews. Even if she likes the development they have in this movie, she can't say sth like "yes, it seemed like that ship had sailed in VIII, but it's all good in this one and they get together." I actually take her words as indirect confirmation of both redemption and a positive resolution to their relationship. Right now she can only speak from the perspective of the Rey who is dissapointed by Kylo's choice in TLJ. Her subsequent words, however, strongly imply that perspective will change in TROS. It's so clear, it's not even worth discussing. "Maybe there is redemption" = there IS redemption. The important thing is, she immediately relates the uncertain state of Reylo to whether he'll be redeemed or not, i.e. redemption to her (as to most fans, I believe) is a necessary prerequisite for romance. Once that's achieved, romance will be possible too. That's all there is to it.

Last edited by MindAndMagic on Mon 15 Apr - 4:22; edited 1 time in total
MindAndMagic
MindAndMagic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovely_Rose on Mon 15 Apr - 4:19

Whoops nvm it's going to happen at 7:40.

Lovely_Rose
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Mon 15 Apr - 5:26

Girls, I hope you are right about interviews. The building of the anti-hero in love has been fantastic so far. If in the end they wanted to tell only the story of the Trio of good guys (Rey, Poe and Finn) against the bad guys we must recognize that they did a bad job, because the most loved character is Kylo Ren.

Moreover, redemption without love, for me, after all those messages of sexual attraction between the two antagonists, would be like a betrayal of my expectations. If it was a book, instead of a film, I would say the writer have failed his goal and disappointed his target.

Last edited by giaciak2 on Mon 15 Apr - 5:31; edited 1 time in total
giaciak2
giaciak2
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Mon 15 Apr - 5:31

@special_cases wrote:I watched the interview after reading comments and I literally laughed. She said she personally can't go behind this and "maybe if redemption happens" is telling it all. She could simply say "I can't see it happening" and it will be debunked.

I'm sure that a lot of people here knew that Daisy is not pro-Reylo. She was always giving these vibes during TLJ promo.
@special_cases

I remember her being super positive actually, she was they had an awesome or amazing relationship and they were both lonely ppl who were connecting, something like that. Daisy did bring up her ideas a few years ago when she first mentioned Reylo for the first time ever.

So what are your feelings on Reylo?
It’s kind of amazing to me, because it’s young people that have been talking about it. It’s weird, when I was on social media — and I still do follow the Instagram stuff, if anyone’s reading this, I do follow it — but these 12-, 13-year-old girls and boys are having these really interesting conversations about abuse and manipulation and chemistry and connection. So it’s actually kind of eye-opening. I don’t think at that age I would’ve thought so deeply about something like that. So to see kids have conversations like that I think is really cool, regardless of where it ends up it’s the conversation that’s really interesting.

Wow I also keep thinking of all the little tidbits of pro-reylo stuff we have gotten and I realized probably the biggest aside from hand sex was Rian Johnson getting excited about reylo and saying "it's all in the movie..."
rey09
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Mon 15 Apr - 5:43

So far, nobody said anything that isn't good for us and that includes Steele interview. nothing we didn't think already or expect.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovely_Rose on Mon 15 Apr - 5:44

Did they just skip over the Kylo/Rey portion? Lol

Lovely_Rose
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovely_Rose on Mon 15 Apr - 5:59

Clearly after the Finn/Rose question they had asked Daisy about her relationship with Kylo. Someone even teased this on twitter. I wonder why they decided to cut it.

Lovely_Rose
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Mon 15 Apr - 6:28

@rey09 wrote:
@special_cases wrote:I watched the interview after reading comments and I literally laughed. She said she personally can't go behind this and "maybe if redemption happens" is telling it all. She could simply say "I can't see it happening" and it will be debunked.

@special_cases

I remember her being super positive actually, she was they had an awesome or amazing relationship and they were both lonely ppl who were connecting, something like that. Daisy did bring up her ideas a few years ago when she first mentioned Reylo for the first time ever.

So what are your feelings on Reylo?
It’s kind of amazing to me, because it’s young people that have been talking about it. It’s weird, when I was on social media — and I still do follow the Instagram stuff, if anyone’s reading this, I do follow it — but these 12-, 13-year-old girls and boys are having these really interesting conversations about abuse and manipulation and chemistry and connection. So it’s actually kind of eye-opening. I don’t think at that age I would’ve thought so deeply about something like that. So to see kids have conversations like that I think is really cool, regardless of where it ends up it’s the conversation that’s really interesting.

Wow I also keep thinking of all the little tidbits of pro-reylo stuff we have gotten and I realized probably the biggest aside from hand sex was Rian Johnson getting excited about reylo and saying "it's all in the movie..."
@rey09

During TLJ promo Daisy made it clear that she is unsure about the whole story even if she understands what Rian created.

She was constantly turning conversation towards the difference between her feelings on TFA set and her feelings on TLJ set and it wasn't in favour of latter. It wouldn't have been so important if she was also so often expressing the love and curiosity towards the story itself and perhaps great possibility for her as an actor to explore complicity and depth in Rey's character. But she didn't. If I was an actor who is playing some kind of storyline that I don't like I would have shift most conversations to the fact that I was interested to play something nuanced and complicated. I mean, if I've worked with Hammil! Driver! Serkis! I would have to choose to speak about this experience as a actor and definitely not telling every time how I miss being with actors from previous movies. Even if the marketing told her to discuss everything from her personal perspective her attitude was... "I am unsure about all of this" or "It was strange".

Also I think that Mark's attitude influenced both Daisy and John to see all this billion dollar production as some kind of place where their personal expectations will be fullfilled and if not - they need to tell people about that before selling the movie. I know it can sound cruel and I'm aware that Hollywood is very unfair terrible place. But Mark's, Daisy's and John's attitude's combined are the WORST of what I have ever seen pre-release. And I have seen all Twilight press tours, and both Stewart and Pattinson didn't like the story overall, dealed with crazy fanbase and whole industry was laughing of this story. But even in their crazy schedule and like 20 appearances all over the world every 2 years they stayed respectful to the story and were selling it 1000%. Because they weren't selfish to the crew who can lose their job if the movie will have bad BO.

Daisy is very emotional, fast-to-react and extremely positive person. She for sure didn't look very positive during press tour and premiere. Formally she did everything okay but the spark just wasn't there and IMO Daisy was sincerely stressed how the audience will recieve this story and herself as a face of Rey.  When she was describing Reylo moments she was telling what Rian have said to her; it's very different rhetoric from her usual. I think she understand what creators want to tell but she doesn't feel it. Though she gave her best perfomance ever in TLJ. I'm still impressed.

Sorry for the long rant. I hope you won't see as Daisy bashing, I think that Daisy is truly amazing person which is rare in industry. There were additional factors that highlighted that Daisy isn't a fan of story in TLJ. She has the right to admire and not admire different things and not obligated to love the story. For me there was no doubt pre-release that TLJ's story is strongly not her cup of tea. I wrote something similar during TLJ promo and I was sure then - Daisy is really not pro-Reylo.
special_cases
special_cases
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by tukicarreno on Mon 15 Apr - 6:33

@Lovely_Rose wrote:Clearly after the Finn/Rose question they had asked Daisy about her relationship with Kylo. Someone even teased this on twitter. I wonder why they decided to cut it.
@Lovely_Rose

It’s so frustrating.. These past hours have been devastating for me.After Daisy’s interview I am really not expecting any Reylo romance at all. Yeah there might be Bendemption but that’s about it and probably it happens towards the very end of the movie. Plus I am really frustrated about the lack of Adam mentions lately. I wish he was included more in these events and group interviews. It’s like he’s never there and always the walking spoiler no one can talk about. Honestly, I am tired of it. Kylo is the favorite character of so many fans and still he’s never there..

If Daisy is talking so negative about Reylo it’s not happening guys.  She used to be so careful talking about them, about how lonely they were that Kylo believed he was right, Kylo killing Snoke for Rey, etc. But now it seems there’s another agenda. Such a shame after the beautiful work Rian did. JJ probably went the opposite way. Crying or Very sad  Neutral  *End of rant*
tukicarreno
tukicarreno
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovely_Rose on Mon 15 Apr - 6:38

I don't think JJ went the opposite way, I'm pretty sure Reylo will be canon. In the GMA interview John and Kelly's responses made it seem like FinRose isn't really what they're going for, but the pure silence on Reylo (when we know the statement was there in this interview) makes it apparent that this is the mystery box of the film. I'm just irritated that we as a fandom will have to deal with such a toxic environment for several months. No pun intended. Rolling Eyes

Lovely_Rose
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum