Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending

Page 7 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending - Page 7 Empty Re: Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending

Post by Slade on Sun 10 Jul - 20:13

Given Unkar's personality, perhaps he simply forcibly took her.  He could even have killed the person she was left with.  I don't think she was left with San Tekka.
Slade
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending - Page 7 Empty Re: Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 20:16

@Slade wrote:Given Unkar's personality, perhaps he simply forcibly took her.  He could even have killed the person she was left with.  I don't think she was left with San Tekka.
@Slade

Shocked Killing the person she was with would be simply horrid...but I can imagine that happening somehow....if this turns out to be the case, I hope Rey and Kylo kill him off... Evil or Very Mad

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sun 10 Jul - 20:25

@snufkin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@snufkin wrote:Reading all of this has my hopes up that the 3rd movie will have a plot where everybody has to go back to Jakku (you can just imagine Finn's facial expression of disgust).
@snufkin

*drumroll*

Episode IX: The Return to Jakku

IT RHYMES!
@Darth Dingbat

Ben's gonna have to face the music for the Very Bad Things he did the last time that he was there, especially if that village was camped out in proximity to his bae's home b/c they could sense her Force Powers.  And it'll tie in with her finding out how she ended up there and the truth behind her parents' disappearance. May also see the return of Simon Pegg's Dickensian Space Squid (aka the most truly evil character in all the movies for being a pure capitalist) and bonus comedy from Finn about how he can't stand the place.
@snufkin

For those of us who are in Team Rogue! Kylo and Rey, ending VIII with the two of them heading off to Jakku to find out what happened to her parents would be a pretty perfect ending, IMO.

I also don't think we've seen the last of Unkar Plutt. I suspect they put that glimpse of him having First Order ties in TFA for a reason.
@ISeeAnIsland

The whole offer to be a teacher was asking her to run away with him. She didn't outright say no, so it could still happen. As with going full on Hux as antagonist/villain, it seems like it would be an awful lot of fun because those are the two characters he plays the best off of.

Plutt is such an a**! Because you see him deliberately cheating her on rations and then he casually tosses out 60 rations to offer for BB-8. So you know the whole time he could be paying actual fair market value for what's brought to him. He using his position of power to control the population by keeping them on the edge of starvation and line his own pockets. This where I read a comment in a review (can't remember where) that he's actually the single most evil villain in the entire series because he's operating as a pure capitalist. 60 MREs is a pittance of whatever he planned on getting out of the FO/Hux as payment for BB-8. However if he did have any knowledge about her having ties to people the FO were after, he would've sold her out long ago because his interest is only in how she can make money for him.  And he was supposed to worst if you can surmise from the novel being a previous draft of the screenplay - he sexually harassed her, was condescending/proprietary, and there's a line to the effect that she was afraid that he'd eventually try to rape her (shudder). They can leave out the gross rapey parts, but it'd be something if she has her showdown with him as part of finding out how her parents disappeared.
@snufkin

I tend to think that Unkar was supposed to just be an intermediate step in the hand-off chain or a temporary solution, but whoever Rey was supposed to go to next (whether it was her parents or someone else trusted), they never showed up. I guess I'm envisioning some sort of underground railroad situation there.

Unkar might not have known exactly who he had in his charge, but I also have trouble believing that call that he placed to the First Order was just a random coincidence. Otherwise, someone else at Niema outpost could have made that call (unless that would be too repetitive with how the FO was alerted on Takodana).

And yeah, like you, I think that the offer to be her teacher was a plea to run away with him, and I'd love to see Rey take him up on that offer in some capacity at some point in this trilogy.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 10 Jul - 21:35

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:I tend to think that Unkar was supposed to just be an intermediate step in the hand-off chain or a temporary solution, but whoever Rey was supposed to go to next (whether it was her parents or someone else trusted), they never showed up. I guess I'm envisioning some sort of underground railroad situation there.

Unkar might not have known exactly who he had in his charge, but I also have trouble believing that call that he placed to the First Order was just a random coincidence. Otherwise, someone else at Niema outpost could have made that call (unless that would be too repetitive with how the FO was alerted on Takodana).

And yeah, like you, I think that the offer to be her teacher was a plea to run away with him, and I'd love to see Rey take him up on that offer in some capacity at some point in this trilogy.

That could work, although she uses the phrase "come back," as does Maz. So I always assumed that meant her parents had left here there. Regardless, Plutt would've put her to work as child labor the moment he figured out that nobody was returning for her. Either way, it ticks off the absolute worst type of childhood nightmare when you're waiting for somebody to pick you up after school and they're running late. Or the sort of Hansel and Gretel scenario of being lost in the woods (which was in the news recently where some parents in Japan decided to "teach a lesson" to their little kid and left him in the forest for 6 days).

And I'd hedge my bets, but deciding to Hell with their masters and running off together would make for a great twist to the movie that works within the logic. They have to eventually team up together and it's not like she ever actually told him No. Plus would be the obligatory shocking twist (which is redundant if people are expecting something shocking)
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Mon 11 Jul - 1:05

This is sounding to me like they're definitely going back to Jakku at some point, if such important things are centered there.

Poor Finn. Laughing
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Mon 11 Jul - 2:21

@snufkin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:I tend to think that Unkar was supposed to just be an intermediate step in the hand-off chain or a temporary solution, but whoever Rey was supposed to go to next (whether it was her parents or someone else trusted), they never showed up. I guess I'm envisioning some sort of underground railroad situation there.

That could work, although she uses the phrase "come back," as does Maz. So I always assumed that meant her parents had left here there. Regardless, Plutt would've put her to work as child labor the moment he figured out that nobody was returning for her. Either way, it ticks off the absolute worst type of childhood nightmare when you're waiting for somebody to pick you up after school and they're running late. Or the sort of Hansel and Gretel scenario of being lost in the woods (which was in the news recently where some parents in Japan decided to "teach a lesson" to their little kid and left him in the forest for 6 days).

And I'd hedge my bets, but deciding to Hell with their masters and running off together would make for a great twist to the movie that works within the logic. They have to eventually team up together and it's not like she ever actually told him No. Plus would be the obligatory shocking twist (which is redundant if people are expecting something shocking)
@snufkin

Your ideas have got me thinking of another possibility on the same lines.... what if children were being kidnapped and trafficked to the FO and Unkar's place was the last pick up spot in the galaxy (Jakku is the last stop for ships before the Unknown Regions).

Also, the novel Before the Awakening mentions a man Rey recognizes speaking to Unkar and then she sees a child come out of and return to the ship...maybe that man is one of the slave traffickers? The Black Sun gang had a long history of kidnapping and slavery in canon and a Falleen (this race is linked to the Black Sun) recently appeared in the latest Han Solo comic.....so there might be some underworld gang kidnapping children for the FO's various programs.

Unkar would pay and collect the kids and then the FO would pay for them. Now if the FO didn't collect Rey for some reason (delay, crash etc), then Unkar would consider it a debt of sorts.... in the TFA novel, we know Unkar kept ships in lieu of debts (the Millennium Falcon) and even had scavengers who were his debtors.... maybe he decided that he'll make Rey work to make up for the money he paid for her when he collected her. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Mon 11 Jul - 5:18

Guys, child snatching won't be referenced and LST has done his part. You are reading way too much into all this.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Mon 11 Jul - 14:59

Spoilers are here:

http://thesocietypenguin.tumblr.com/post/147249549819/aftermath-life-debt-by-chuck-wendig-warning

I'm totally NOT sold that Rax is Snoke, doesn't make sense because JJ said Snoke was very ancient and observed events from TP and OT. This guy didn't.

Jakku mystery seems to be important for the end of book trilogy and not the movies. Kylo states "inconsequential Jakku" in novelization so if jakku was that important for events of ST, than it wouldn't be called inconsequential. Also, movie omits the reference so it isn't like Snoke's interest picks because the scavenger is from Jakku. I think this is all about the battle for Jakku that ended the Empire (Lost Stars).
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 11 Jul - 15:06

When did JJ say Snoke is ancient, though?

Not that I think Snoke is this Rax guy; I personally do believe Snoke is ancient (or else serving somebody ancient, but you know my speculations already...). Just wondering because I don't remember that particular comment. Would like to see what exactly he said.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Mon 11 Jul - 15:28

@vaderito wrote:Spoilers are here:

http://thesocietypenguin.tumblr.com/post/147249549819/aftermath-life-debt-by-chuck-wendig-warning

I'm totally NOT sold that Rax is Snoke, doesn't make sense because JJ said Snoke was very ancient and observed events from TP and OT. This guy didn't.

Jakku mystery seems to be important for the end of book trilogy and not the movies. Kylo states "inconsequential Jakku" in novelization so if jakku was that important for events of ST, than it wouldn't be called inconsequential. Also, movie omits the reference so it isn't like Snoke's interest picks because the scavenger is from Jakku. I think this is all about the battle for Jakku that ended the Empire (Lost Stars).
@vaderito

I remember something along these lines too, but does anyone have the source? Because I think the same, but a lot of Gallius Rax is sounding like Snoke, and I can't imagine what the point of introducing this character is if he doesn't have a stake in the ST. He seems to be behind quite a lot and there's no way he's there for just no reason to be killed/gone by the end of Aftermath. Especially since he's creating the First Order. Who else could this character be but Snoke? It seems like a weird choice of a character if he's not, since he overlaps with Snoke so much if they're not the same person.

I don't think the Jakku thing is just going to relate to the books either. Rey just happens to be on Jakku, same with Lor San Tekka and his ilk? I think it's reasonable to think that Kylo might not actually know a whole lot about whatever it is that's really going on/what Snoke is doing. There seems to be a good degree of keeping him in the dark that I'm picking up on.

Last edited by ZioRen on Mon 11 Jul - 15:34; edited 1 time in total
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Mon 11 Jul - 15:31

Rax = Snoke makes even less sense than Snoke = Plagueis I hope Pablo debunks it ASAP.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Mon 11 Jul - 15:37

@vaderito wrote:Rax = Snoke makes even less sense than Snoke = Plagueis I hope Pablo debunks it ASAP.
@vaderito

Everything about Rax seems to overlap with Snoke's position. I can't figure out how those two characters collide if they're different people. Like, does Rax just die and Snoke swoops in like "oh, guess this is all mine now". Is Rax reporting to Snoke? Because this probably would have been mentioned or hinted at, right? Since this dude seemingly started it all. This is all really confusing.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Mon 11 Jul - 15:52

@ZioRen wrote:
@vaderito wrote:Rax = Snoke makes even less sense than Snoke = Plagueis I hope Pablo debunks it ASAP.
@vaderito

Everything about Rax seems to overlap with Snoke's position. I can't figure out how those two characters collide if they're different people. Like, does Rax just die and Snoke swoops in like "oh, guess this is all mine now". Is Rax reporting to Snoke? Because this probably would have been mentioned or hinted at, right? Since this dude seemingly started it all. This is all really confusing.
@ZioRen

Snoke is FS, this dude is not. It won't be fist time for SW to create similar characters in books and movies that don't overlap. I just see no wisdom in revealing Snoke's background in a book.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 11 Jul - 16:09

Well, to put on my tinfoil hat, we've never actually seen Snoke use the Force... Laughing
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Mon 11 Jul - 16:24

One thing just struck me:
Spoiler:
Many times that Jakku was referred in TFA as completely off place, a junkyard, or whatever.
I was really a bit tired of all those constant repetition of Jakku - it looked like to me at first as good joke at first, but then it started to irritate me.
I wonder know - was the constant mention of an unimportant junkyard was intentional by Kasdan and JJ due to the information we got from this book.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 11 Jul - 16:37

Okay, I read those spoilers and... @panki and @SoloSideCousin are probably the only ones interested in these thoughts but:

Spoiler:
Your friendly neighbourhood Vitiate conspiracy theorist here again. I just couldn't believe how many things jumped at me - now I can't wait to read this book.

- "the hologram of a dead man made to pass as real" - what a sinister description... makes it sound like Gallius Rax is no longer Gallius Rax but host to someone who died long ago... *ahem*
- All the references to shadows... Vitiate's original name was Tenebrae, literally "Shadows"
- "The Empire needs children": Vitiate's servants were known as the Emperor's Children
- Rax's followers call him "Emperor"?!
- Rax's eyes: "Each a black hole swallowing the light." This gave me a chill, as young Vitiate's eyes were described as "black as the void of space".
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 11 Jul - 16:42

@Darth Dingbat wrote:Okay, I read those spoilers and... @panki and @SoloSideCousin are probably the only ones interested in these thoughts but:

Spoiler:
Your friendly neighbourhood Vitiate conspiracy theorist here again. I just couldn't believe how many things jumped at me - now I can't wait to read this book.

- "the hologram of a dead man made to pass as real" - what a sinister description... makes it sound like Gallius Rax is no longer Gallius Rax but host to someone who died long ago... *ahem*
- All the references to shadows... Vitiate's original name was Tenebrae, literally "Shadows"
- "The Empire needs children": Vitiate's servants were known as the Emperor's Children
- Rax's eyes: "Each a black hole swallowing the light." This gave me a chill, as young Vitiate's eyes were described as "black as the void of space".
@Darth Dingbat

Are you saying

Spoiler:
That Gallius' dead body is a host to Snoke? Lol I thought of that theory when I read the spoiler yesterday too. But are you also saying he could be Palpatine?

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 11 Jul - 16:59

AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:Okay, I read those spoilers and... @panki and @SoloSideCousin are probably the only ones interested in these thoughts but:

Spoiler:

@Darth Dingbat

Are you saying

Spoiler:
That Gallius' dead body is a host to Snoke? Lol I thought of that theory when I read the spoiler yesterday too. But are you also saying he could be Palpatine?
@AppleCrumble122

Spoiler:
No, not Palpatine - but the ancient immortal Emperor of the Old Republic era who was once known as Vitiate, and later as Valkorion. He would actually be a pretty damn scary villain. Imagine an immortal, body-hopping sociopath who is basically a manifestation of the Dark Side and wants to take over the Force itself. Laughing

Panki and I have been speculating for a while that the Big Bad in this trilogy might turn out to be Vitiate/Valkorion who might have been trapped somewhere for a long time (Jakku?!) or else otherwise incapacitated, lurking in the shadows in spirit form, waiting for his moment to come.

There was actually an early rumour (circa 2014) that Vitiate is an "off-screen influence of the main villain of Episode VII". And the Valkorion version of Vitiate was introduced last year in a new game, Knights of the Fallen Empire. For some reason JJ apparently checked KOTFE so that nothing in it contradicted TFA... wonder why??
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 11 Jul - 17:04

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
AppleCrumble122 wrote:

Spoiler:

@Darth Dingbat

Are you saying

Spoiler:
@AppleCrumble122

Spoiler:
No, not Palpatine - but the ancient immortal Emperor of the Old Republic era who was once known as Vitiate, and later as Valkorion. He would actually be a pretty damn scary villain. Imagine an immortal, body-hopping sociopath who is basically a manifestation of the Dark Side and wants to take over the Force itself. Laughing

Panki and I have been speculating for a while that the Big Bad in this trilogy might turn out to be Vitiate/Valkorion who might have been trapped somewhere for a long time (Jakku?!) or else otherwise incapacitated, lurking in the shadows in spirit form, waiting for his moment to come.

There was actually an early rumour (circa 2014) that Vitiate is an "off-screen influence of the main villain of Episode VII". And the Valkorion version of Vitiate was introduced last year in a new game, Knights of the Fallen Empire. For some reason JJ apparently checked KOTFE so that nothing in it contradicted TFA... wonder why??
@Darth Dingbat

Spoiler:
Ooh! I get it now! I'm not well-versed in the Old Republic stuff, but this theory is awesome! Seriously Dingbat, stop converting me to your theories lol! Happens every time! Wink Please tell me more! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Mon 11 Jul - 17:06

AppleCrumble122 wrote:

Spoiler:

@Darth Dingbat

Are you saying

Spoiler:
@AppleCrumble122

From the way he's described:

Spoiler:

I really get the sense that this guy might be Snoke.I mean the way he's playing both sides could explain how he got his hands on Ben.If Leia and the New Republci trusted him it made it easier for him to target Ben.Seriously,I get chills from this guy.
I find it strange though how Gallius and Rey kind of paralell each other in the sense that they both live on Jakku,both are orphans(most likely)and both want to get away.
It's also interesting that Rax seems to believe Brendol Hux to be more important than the other Imperials who'll be part of his council.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 11 Jul - 19:01

Are these guys mentioned anywhere other than in Rey's Survival Guide...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dead-enders

Seems like there's a lot more to Jakku than we've currently seen on screen.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Mon 11 Jul - 19:34

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Are these guys mentioned anywhere other than in Rey's Survival Guide...

@Mrs Ben Solo

I haven't seen these guys mentioned anywhere else as of now....
Spoiler:
but I wonder if these were imperial guards from the place the droids were excavating and went crazy? Based on what they have been revealing in recent comics, I'm beginning to believe in the corrupting effect of artifacts on both FS and non-FS people.

I think a lot of the spoilers we're hearing point to a potential Vitiate theory as suggested by @Darth Dingbat .... but I wonder whether Snoke is not Vitiate himself but an agent... Gallius Rex's life sounds a lot like that of Lord Cronal...
Spoiler:
his origins and parentage is unknown, being found by the Emperor at a young age and groomed, climbing the ranks of the Empire quickly, being able to see the future (knowing Armitage Hux was important to him), watching everything happening from the shadows, communicating with people in the form of a hologram, taking over the Empire as a warlord when Palpatine died etc.
... I feel we're getting two levels of bad... a Snoke/Cronal type person who is following the instructions of what he believes is the source of the Dark Side... and the source of the Dark side itself, which will be a Vitiate type person.... this will be someone who resides in the Unknown Regions.... if this is the case, we might even see Snoke getting killed in Episode 8 like we heard in some early rumors...and the big bad turning up at the end of episode 8 or episode 9.... it would be amazing to see BDT play a Vitiate like character.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 11 Jul - 19:41

@panki wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Are these guys mentioned anywhere other than in Rey's Survival Guide...

@Mrs Ben Solo

Spoiler:
but I wonder if these were imperial guards from the place the droids were excavating and went crazy? Based on what they have been revealing in recent comics, I'm beginning to believe in the corrupting effect of artifacts on both FS and non-FS people.

I think a lot of the spoilers we're hearing point to a potential Vitiate theory as suggested by @Darth Dingbat .... but I wonder whether Snoke is not Vitiate himself but an agent... Gallius Rex's life sounds a lot like that of Lord Cronal...
Spoiler:
his origins and parentage is unknown, being found by the Emperor at a young age and groomed, climbing the ranks of the Empire quickly, being able to see the future (knowing Armitage Hux was important to him), watching everything happening from the shadows, communicating with people in the form of a hologram, taking over the Empire as a warlord when Palpatine died etc.
... I feel we're getting two levels of bad... a Snoke/Cronal type person who is following the instructions of what he believes is the source of the Dark Side... and the source of the Dark side itself, which will be a Vitiate type person.... this will be someone who resides in the Unknown Regions.
@panki

Very interesting.

I'm going to read Aftermath and Aftermath: Life Debt. I believe the third in teh trilogy, Aftermath: Empire's End is out early next year. It sounds like there's a lot of interesting stuff in them. I'm also intrigued by these guys...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Acolytes_of_the_Beyond

They were collecting Dark side relics, which is interesting given Kylo's Darth Vader helmet. Also, the significance in relation to Luke Skywalker being described as having acolytes in Claudia Gray's Bloodline. We further know that Luke was also searching out old Jedi lore and relics in the years after the Battle of Endor.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Mon 11 Jul - 19:45

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@panki wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
... I feel we're getting two levels of bad... a Snoke/Cronal type person who is following the instructions of what he believes is the source of the Dark Side... and the source of the Dark side itself, which will be a Vitiate type person.... this will be someone who resides in the Unknown Regions.
@panki

Very interesting.

I'm going to read Aftermath and Aftermath: Life Debt. I believe the third in teh trilogy, Aftermath: Empire's End is out early next year. It sounds like there's a lot of interesting stuff in them. I'm also intrigued by these guys...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Acolytes_of_the_Beyond

They were collecting Dark side relics, which is interesting given Kylo's Darth Vader helmet. Also, the significance in relation to Luke Skywalker being described as having acolytes in Claudia Gray's Bloodline. We further know that Luke was also searching out old Jedi lore and relics in the years after the Battle of Endor.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Do you think the term "acolyte" was used in Bloodline as a clue of sorts? The only other place we see this term is in Aftermath (Acolytes of the Beyond)... maybe Luke's students were upto all sorts of nefarious activities on the side when Luke was out traveling around the galaxy. Shocked

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Mon 11 Jul - 19:50

@Mrs Ben Solo

Those deadenders sound like old imperial soldiers, guarding something important for many years (kind of like the old Grail crusader guarding the holy Grail in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, a movie George Lucas helped write). Why would they stay there after all these years after the empire is long gone...unless there's something compelling them (or they're just crazy)?

I agree, it really is looking like Jakku is going to be important. I still kind of think Rey may have been left on Jakku for her protection, but I initially thought that was because Jakku was an inconsequential backwater planet, but what if she was left there for another reason?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum