Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Go down

Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending - Page 12 Empty Re: Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 5:09 pm

@panki wrote:
@Xylo Ren wrote:Wow, I'd actually root for Ben more if I knew he was being mind controlled like Chekov in Wrath of Khan.

I'm sure a lot of GA would, too.

I know people here have been averse to Manch!Kylo, because of agency reasons, but I'd be open to it if it means his redemption is easier to swallow all around, and makes for a more hopeful ending for Reylo.

Sorry bout it!
@Xylo Ren

I agree with you on this.... after reading the general audience response, I'd rather see him redeemed as early as possible... I get really irritated with all the 'Kylo must die' remarks.....and 'he killed Han so he is irredeemable' and much worse things....so if they have to pull a Bucky Barnes to clear his name, I'm fine with it.
@panki

Also Manchurian!Kylo is as tragic as sith. He gets all of the guilt and none of the agency or at least impaired agency. Once he breaks free and returns to the soul of that baby that answered when his mother called for help, he is going to hate himself even more than he does now. He may already be aware that something is happening, but could go "in-and-out" like the people in the book ... that may actually be the reason for his rage attacks because he feels trapped and out of control. Once he "gets clear" he will hate himself even more for not being stronger, for letting it happen ... for being so "weak" that he got into a position to kill his father. There is a lot of weak vs strong talk with Kylo ... and it's all about mental strength, because as we saw with SKB he's a tank physically. I actually think the Manchurian thing will be done differently than in the book ... and he will have had the strength to resist it for a long time, but at some point he broke and Snoke/dark got the upper hand. After reading this book, I am definitely much more into "part of Kylo's story will be a mental illness metaphor." There are hints of mental impairment and damage caused by trauma all over the book.

Oh an another thing ... you know the excerpt where Leia senses Ben for the first time? She is in a *white* room with nothing in it but her and the plant ... but they mentioned one detail ... the room has "white *padded* walls." Kylo's room later is described as a black padded cell by the production team. If snoke/dark side equals mental illness, it's been there from the beginning. If you think of the plant representing the snake/demon, they it's been right there with him from the beginning. Think of the snake as evil or mental illness or both ... either way he is truly a cursed, tragic character who never had a chance and desperately needs someone to understand his situation and help him get clear of what's been plaguing him his whole life.

I don't think it's a cop-out at all. He is going to be left damaged and probably forever vulnerable to the dark ... but see a character like this, one that many people with demons identify with, overcome such horrible odds will be incredibly powerful ... much more powerful than a traditional redemption story, at least to me.

Skywalkers are screwed up by nature and he is doubly so. He has the Skywalker flaws plus a monkey on his back. He is not only the legacy but the culmination of all their problems in one guy ... if he can pull himself out of this mental hole, holy sith! AD is going be something to behold.

And to bring in Rey, like @snufkin always talks about, her life was unbelievably bleak in a whole different way (I mean Luke's life was like a picnic compared to her) ... so in this respect it just returns to that Children of War concept. Everything is so much harder for them. They got such a bad deck of cards ... It's like Depression kids having to fight WWII ... It's like Rey, Kylo, Finn trio might be their own Greatest Generation analogue.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending - Page 12 Empty Re: Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending

Post by vaderito on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 8:24 pm

@panki Damn right about pulling Bucky Barnes!  cheers

Guys, Leia and the baby who answers the call is a major spoiler. Luke doesn't answer but Ben does. What do you think will happen in ST? Luke wasn't answering but Ben will although it won't be too obvious until IX. New generation = hope. Always.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 8:30 pm

@vaderito wrote:@panki Damn right about pulling Bucky Barnes!  cheers

Guys, Leia and the baby who answers the call is a major spoiler. Luke doesn't answer but Ben does. What do you think will happen in ST? Luke wasn't answering but Ben will although it won't be too obvious until IX. New generation = hope. Always.
@vaderito
I don't know if it's really a spoiler because it was kind of already explored in this story by the sound of it. I would like to know how much storygroup involvement goes into the writing of these novels... obviously Pablo knew Hux's name would be revealed in this book, but what else did they help with? Is there just a written rule that pre-Kylo Ben Solo was a certain way and writers are allowed to run with it, or are they given specific ideas to work with instead? I'm positive they're keeping everything as in-line and connected as possible, but it's something that definitely interests me.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 8:32 pm

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@vaderito
I don't know if it's really a spoiler because it was kind of already explored in this story by the sound of it. I would like to know how much storygroup involvement goes into the writing of these novels... obviously Pablo knew Hux's name would be revealed in this book, but what else did they help with? Is there just a written rule that pre-Kylo Ben Solo was a certain way and writers are allowed to run with it, or are they given specific ideas to work with instead? I'm positive they're keeping everything as in-line and connected as possible, but it's something that definitely interests me.
@FrolickingFizzgig

I think that Pablo will answer those questions now that the book is out.  Twisted Evil
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 8:39 pm

@vaderito wrote:

@vaderito
@FrolickingFizzgig

I think that Pablo will answer those questions now that the book is out.  Twisted Evil
@vaderito
I'll wait for a good opportunity then. Wink
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 8:44 pm

@vaderito wrote:

@vaderito
@FrolickingFizzgig

@vaderito
@FrolickingFizzgig

Going by this tweet that Pablo RT'd today, I'd say the Lucasfilm Story Group have been actively involved in all of this.

https://twitter.com/avgoins/status/753355440302546949

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 8:45 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@vaderito
@FrolickingFizzgig

@vaderito
@FrolickingFizzgig

Going by this tweet that Pablo RT'd today, I'd say the Lucasfilm Story Group have been actively involved in all of this.

@Mrs Ben Solo

I didn't manage to get to the bookstore tonight after work (crazy day), but I am MOST definitely getting there this week. Thank you for this!
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 8:47 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@vaderito
@FrolickingFizzgig

@vaderito
@FrolickingFizzgig

@Mrs Ben Solo
So I'm guessing the rumour that nobody read over Bloodline is totally false. It's just something Reywalkers came up with to make the whole "Rey was abandoned by Kylo after the massacre" theory plausible again because obviously Bloodline isn't canon to TFA.

The only thing I'm not sure they read over thoroughly were the novelizations, and why would they? The story was already written. All the writers had to do was copy the script.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 8:48 pm

Interrresting. Bucky!Kylo is looking better and better by a minute. I hope someone Photoshops Kylo's head on Bucky's armor or draws Kylo in it.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 9:07 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@vaderito
@FrolickingFizzgig

@vaderito
@FrolickingFizzgig

@Mrs Ben Solo
So I'm guessing the rumour that nobody read over Bloodline is totally false. It's just something Reywalkers came up with to make the whole "Rey was abandoned by Kylo after the massacre" theory plausible again because obviously Bloodline isn't canon to TFA.

The only thing I'm not sure they read over thoroughly were the novelizations, and why would they? The story was already written. All the writers had to do was copy the script.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Pablo and Claudia Gray exchanged quite a few tweets around the release of Bloodline. PH answered a tweet a while before the book came out (maybe a month or so) from someone who wanted to know if Luke and Leia knew about Padme. He told the tweeter to wait for Bloodline. I seem to recall CG thanking Pablo and his fellow story group members for all their help with Bloodline. I don't know if they were listed in the author's acknowledgments, I would have to check. PH and Chuck Wendig seem well acquainted on Twitter. It does appear that they have this whole thing mapped out in regards to the big stuff (there might be room for manoeuvre on some more minor details)

As for the movie novelisations, PH has already tweeted a bit about those. The writers get the scripts before the final edit, hence the irregularities. PH has said that where movie and novelisation differ, then the movie always trumps the book when it comes to what's canon.

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 9:15 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@vaderito
@FrolickingFizzgig

@vaderito
@FrolickingFizzgig

@Mrs Ben Solo

@FrolickingFizzgig

Pablo and Claudia Gray exchanged quite a few tweets around the release of Bloodline. PH answered a tweet a while before the book came out (maybe a month or so) from someone who wanted to know if Luke and Leia knew about Padme. He told the tweeter to wait for Bloodline. I seem to recall CG thanking Pablo and his fellow story group members for all their help with Bloodline. I don't know if they were listed in the author's acknowledgments, I would have to check. PH and Chuck Wendig seem well acquainted on Twitter. It does appear that they have this whole thing mapped out in regards to the big stuff (there might be room for manoeuvre on some more minor details)

As for the movie novelisations, PH has already tweeted a bit about those. The writers get the scripts before the final edit, hence the irregularities. PH has said that where movie and novelisation differ, then the movie always trumps the book when it comes to what's canon.

@Mrs Ben Solo
Indeed, it's very reassuring to see that the story group is keeping in contact with the canon writers. Ben is being made out to be further sympathetic because that's what the writers want, and it's not just some daddy issues like Hux, it's real "he was an incredible, magical, Force-ful child" stuff. You don't do that with your unredeemable legacy villain.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 9:15 pm

PH has said that where movie and novelisation differ, then the movie always trumps the book when it comes to what's canon. 

RIP Damerey. 

Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending - Page 12 23wqkhv
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 9:21 pm

Poe is like 12-14 years older than Rey, he's got his whole life figured out, he's not really a main character (not one that will undergo development), he and Rey don't even meet in TFA and it doesn't really seem like they're going to be meeting in VIII. So yeah, what the heck even is Reypo?
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 9:38 pm

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Poe is like 12-14 years older than Rey, he's got his whole life figured out, he's not really a main character (not one that will undergo development), he and Rey don't even meet in TFA and it doesn't really seem like they're going to be meeting in VIII. So yeah, what the heck even is Reypo?
@FrolickingFizzgig

Like StormPilot, "Wishful thinking".

MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 11:39 pm

It isn't Reypo... it is Damerrey for one thing.... second, Poe is only 2 years older than Kylo so we shouldn't be mocking age gaps... third, Poe doesn't have his life figured out-

1. His mother died under strange circumstances when he was 8. He was brought up by his mother's squad leader so God only knows what happened to his father.

2. He found out abut his mother's past from her diaries and tracked down Leia who is now a mother figure to him so again he is as alone as the main trio.

3. BB-8... it has been revealed that similar droids are given to people who have suffered from some trauma....so there is more to Poe than just a person who seems to have his life figured out.

Reylos get insulted a lot so we should know how that feels... let us not stoop down to the level of insulting other groups... I hope we are better than that.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 12:12 am

@Panki
I was not implying that there isn't more to the character that has been/will be explored in books or comics, just that it doesn't appear as though he'll be a major developmental focus in the film trilogy. I actually like Poe a lot for the record, I just can't help but analyze him from a perspective of characterization. Poe is presented to us with no real room for "development" per se. He's a cool pilot guy who stands up to torture, pokes fun at Kylo, has a cute and hilarious bromance with Finn and destroys an oscillator. He's a stagnant character, but that doesn't mean he isn't still entertaining.

I'm not going to say Rey/Poe is in any way plausible, because it isn't as far as I'm concerned for the reasons I've just gone into (and many others). That's my opinion based on what we were given in TFA, the creative decisions made by the writers and the narrative structure of the story and characters thus far.

Poe is a lot more mature than Rey, Kylo or Finn, so the "age gap" is more noticeable.

I'm not trying to bash a character or a "ship". I actually did present reasoning behind my conclusion.

This is super off-topic so I'll leave it at that.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 12:55 am

I can only speak for myself but "wishful thinking" was meant neutrally, not as an insult. It's wishful thinking because factors in the story make it highly unlikely in canon. Heck, I've written Finn and Poe's wedding in fanfiction myself, so definitely not bashing on that ship or any other. I just think it's highly improbable in canon, that's it.

MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 1:10 am

@MeadowofAshes wrote:I can only speak for myself but "wishful thinking" was meant neutrally, not as an insult. It's wishful thinking because factors in the story make it highly unlikely in canon. Heck, I've written Finn and Poe's wedding in fanfiction myself, so definitely not bashing on that ship or any other. I just think it's highly improbable in canon, that's it.
@MeadowofAshes

I don't have anything against stormpilot... it is just another ship just like Reylo.

But we're moving away from the topic of the thread... back to Life Debt Smile

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 1:22 am

@MeadowofAshes wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Poe is like 12-14 years older than Rey, he's got his whole life figured out, he's not really a main character (not one that will undergo development), he and Rey don't even meet in TFA and it doesn't really seem like they're going to be meeting in VIII. So yeah, what the heck even is Reypo?
@FrolickingFizzgig

@MeadowofAshes

Actually I wish Poe and that Sinjir character were in the same era. I'd like to see the two of them as a couple. Sinjir is more damaged than Poe, but they are both snarky. Very Happy
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 1:35 am

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig

@MeadowofAshes

Actually I wish Poe and that Sinjir character were in the same era.  I'd like to see the two of them as a couple.  Sinjir is more damaged than Poe, but they are both snarky. Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin

I would have loved something like that... my issue is with tokenism and sensationalism...showing a nice, fun relationship would definitely be a good thing...not just one solitary token character to prove a point or tick off a checklist... I like how Chuck Wendig handled this in the book very much... it was there but a seamless part of the story.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 2:14 am

@panki wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig

@MeadowofAshes

Actually I wish Poe and that Sinjir character were in the same era.  I'd like to see the two of them as a couple.  Sinjir is more damaged than Poe, but they are both snarky. Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin

I would have loved something like that... my issue is with tokenism and sensationalism...showing a nice, fun relationship would definitely be a good thing...not just one solitary token character to prove a point or tick off a checklist... I like how Chuck Wendig handled this in the book very much... it was there but a seamless part of the story.
@panki

I agree. He was gay, he had a love interest, he had a personality, he had demons, just like anyone else. No perfect pedestal nor stereotyping. Just a well realized character. I think he's my favorite of that whole team.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 3:36 am

Sinjir is gay? Wow. I didn't get to that part. I think I have SW book fatigue so I stopped reading Aftermath shortly after Generic Strong Mom and Generic Wizz Kid reunited. I may read Life Debt first. My store ain't getting it before 19th.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 4:21 am

@vaderito wrote:Sinjir is gay? Wow. I didn't get to that part. I think I have SW book fatigue so I stopped reading Aftermath shortly after Generic Strong Mom and Generic Wizz Kid reunited. I may read Life Debt first. My store ain't getting it before 19th.
@vaderito

Yeah,
Spoiler:
there's a lot of people having sex in this one too. Lots of totally unmarried people ... people who "have a fistfight that goes right into sex" kind of sex. Laughing There's no description, but it's obvious.

I didn't read Aftermath Part I at all. I didn't think I was too lost for it either. The customer reviews were just so bad that I decided to just jump in with Life Debt. I have a feeling that Aftermath focuses a lot on Strong Mom and Wiz Kid, and to tell you the truth I find them to be among the least interesting characters.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 5:13 am

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@vaderito wrote:Sinjir is gay? Wow. I didn't get to that part. I think I have SW book fatigue so I stopped reading Aftermath shortly after Generic Strong Mom and Generic Wizz Kid reunited. I may read Life Debt first. My store ain't getting it before 19th.
@vaderito

Yeah,
Spoiler:
there's a lot of people having sex in this one too. Lots of totally unmarried people ... people who "have a fistfight that goes right into sex" kind of sex. Laughing There's no description, but it's obvious.

I didn't read Aftermath Part I at all. I didn't think I was too lost for it either. The customer reviews were just so bad that I decided to just jump in with Life Debt. I have a feeling that Aftermath focuses a lot on Strong Mom and Wiz Kid, and to tell you the truth I find them to be among the least interesting characters.
@SoloSideCousin

I'm not a fan of Norra...she irritates me...I am okay with her son's character when he is not around her.....I love Jas and Sinjir's friendship....and I love Mister Bones!!! ROGER-ROGER :p

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 5:53 am

I haven't read the book but read on instagram that there is a theory about Snoke. Maybe you guys already talked about it? Just going to put in spoiler in case.  

SPOILER:
Snoke = Gallus Rax?

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum