Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 12 Empty Re: J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Post by Kylo Rey on Thu 19 Oct 2017, 12:10 pm

J. J. Abrams: Episode IX Will “Go Elsewhere” With Franchise; Prequels Will Be Referenced

British Broadcasting Corporation: …Both of these series that you’re involved with – Star Trek and Star Wars – they change people’s lives, don’t they? Little boys, little girls end up saying “That’s what I want to do. That’s where I wanna be.”

JJ Abrams: Well, it’s certainly something that I’m aware of now working on Episode IX – coming back into this world after having done Episode VII. I feel like we need to approach this with the same excitement that we had when we were kids, loving what these movies were. And at the same time, we have to take them places that they haven’t gone, and that’s sort of our responsibility. It’s a strange thing – Michael’s worked on things like Planet of the Apes and Star Trek and Star Wars, and these are the things of dreams. Yet we can’t just revel in that; we have to go elsewhere.

Seems like JJ has taken the rehash criticisms to heart. Tallies up with what this guy on Reddit was saying too: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/77adp3/i_got_to_meet_jj_abrams_and_chris_terrio_tonight/
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 12 Empty Re: J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 10:52 am

I find this just...odd. Is it just me? It’s making my mind boggle as to where the ST might be headed that they wanted David Fincher for Episode IX. He’s done some great and interesting movies, fantastic thrillers, but I don’t see him as a fit for Star Wars. JJ for the final instalment of the ST, I can see. But with all due respect, how does one take the leap from David Fincher to JJ? http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/star-wars/52839/why-david-fincher-turned-down-star-wars-episode-ix

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 3:21 pm

I'm a huge fan of David Fincher but he's way too cold and clinical for SW. Also, nothing I've seen from him makes me think he'd be good at romance (he tried with Benjamin Button and for my money it's his weakest film).
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood Moon on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 5:42 pm

So he has been asked twice now to direct a part in the ST! Wow, I'm surprised.
But with Fincher you would expect something much darker, cynical and unnerving.
I'm a fan of Fincher's work so I would love if he would do a Star Wars stand-alone movie.
Blood Moon
Blood Moon
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 5:57 pm

yeah, keep clinical directors away from the Saga. I've no problem bringing them aboard for spin-offs but the Saga requires directors with a warm touch and a sense of whimsy. It's a fairytale, it always will be.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 5:58 pm

@Blood Moon wrote:So he has been asked twice now to direct a part in the ST! Wow, I'm surprised.
I'm a fan of Fincher's work so I would love if he would do a Star Wars stand-alone movie.
@Blood Moon

Me too! I love Fincher's work.  However, I am happy that JJ is directing IX instead of Fincher.  I agree with @Saracene that he doesn't do "tender" or "romantic" well.  However, I do find it interesting that they were looking at Fincher for two reasons.  First, that makes me think that TLJ is going to have some serious stuff going on with it, so they need someone serious to pick up things from there.  Second, I am actually pretty excited that they are looking at someone like Fincher in general, because that means that they are quite open to taking risks with the franchise, since I don't even know if Fincher has ever made a non-rated R movie.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 6:03 pm

Agree with @Saracene and @SoloSideCousin on this. As much as I love Fincher's work [ not his word's on Adam or how he phrased it], not sure how he'd fit into this saga and make me wonder why he was even approached as the first one? It's a Space Soap Opera, fairytale ... like do they have a different idea because they must know Fincher's is a bit cynical, dark, not very romantic style and how he likes to film. JJ is universally a good choice, know characters and is able to adapt.
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood Moon on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Blood Moon wrote:So he has been asked twice now to direct a part in the ST! Wow, I'm surprised.
@Blood Moon

Me too! I love Fincher's work.  However, I am happy that JJ is directing IX instead of Fincher.  I agree with @Saracene that he doesn't do "tender" or "romantic" well.  However, I do find it interesting that they were looking at Fincher for two reasons.  First, that makes me think that TLJ is going to have some serious stuff going on with it, so they need someone serious to pick up things from there.  Second, I am actually pretty excited that they are looking at someone like Fincher in general, because that means that they are quite open to taking risks with the franchise, since I don't even know if Fincher has ever made a non-rated R movie.
@SoloSideCousin

Yes good point about some serious stuff in TLJ and needing someone to pick up that story.
I can't process Fincher with a "warm touch" and hopeful ending for the saga like  @vaderito says.

Non-rated R confuses me? because we have a different rating system over here. Benjamin Button is rated at 6 years old, the rest I think mostly at 16 years.
Blood Moon
Blood Moon
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 7:28 pm

@Blood Moon wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Blood Moon

@SoloSideCousin

Yes good point about some serious stuff in TLJ and needing someone to pick up that story.
I can't process Fincher with a "warm touch" and hopeful ending for the saga like  @vaderito says.

Non-rated R confuses me? because we have a different rating system over here. Benjamin Button is rated at 6 years old, the rest I think mostly at 16 years.
@Blood Moon

The American "R" rating is probably very similar to your 16 years rating. With Rated "R", people under 17 are not supposed to see a movie without being accompanied by an adult. We have a stricter one, "NC17" where no one under 17 is even allowed, but it's almost never used, because it's like the box office "kiss of death".
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by thescavenger on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 8:41 am

I find it very strange that JJ has been very quiet throughout the TLJ release. He was the executive producer behind it and was quite vocal about how much he loved the TLJ script.

Hmm, maybe he doesn't want to be influenced by all the media attention and reactions to TLJ while he writes IX.
thescavenger
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:10 am

I imagine that he and his co-writer have basically locked themselves in a room and don't plan on coming out until the script is done.

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 10:40 am

the calm before the storm Cool
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 11:59 pm

This quote from J.J. is even more powerful in light of The Last Jedi. I don't even know what not to bold. J.J. and Rian were fully transparent with each other in developing their stories. They've been collaborating throughout this whole process. It's really no wonder J.J. jumped at the opportunity to come back when it presented itself. He's already so deeply entrenched in the ST as a whole. It's really his vision when it comes down to it.

Side-note, but I also get the sense that even back in 2015 Trevorrow was being looked at by J.J. and Rian as something of a black sheep or absent third wheel. J.J. didn't even mention him. He just gushed about his and Rian's collaboration and shared vision.

Q - You can see how the universe gets so big so quickly, first toys and games and then Episode VIII and IX, with directors Rian Johnson and Colin Trevorrow coming aboard. I know VIII is Rian’s movie, but you’ve no doubt created story questions in Episode VII that have to be addressed. Do you know how the answers play out? Or are those moments still unspooling?

J.J. - The script for VIII is written. I’m sure rewrites are going to be endless, like they always are. But what Larry and I did was set up certain key relationships, certain key questions, conflicts. And we knew where certain things were going. We had meetings with Rian and Ram Bergman, the producer of VIII. They were watching dailies when we were shooting our movie. We wanted them to be part of the process, to make the transition to their film as seamless as possible. I showed Rian an early cut of the movie, because I knew he was doing his rewrite and prepping. And as executive producer of VIII, I need that movie to be really good. Withholding serves no one and certainly not the fans. So we’ve been as transparent as possible.

Rian has asked for a couple of things here and there that he needs for his story. He is an incredibly accomplished filmmaker and an incredibly strong writer. So the story he told took what we were doing and went in the direction that he felt was best but that is very much in line with what we were thinking as well. But you’re right—that will be his movie; he’s going to do it in the way he sees fit. He’s neither asking for nor does he need me to oversee the process.

Source: https://www.wired.com/2015/11/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-interview/
MyOnlyHope
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 3:52 am

@MyOnlyHope wrote:This quote from J.J. is even more powerful in light of The Last Jedi. I don't even know what not to bold. J.J. and Rian were fully transparent with each other in developing their stories. They've been collaborating throughout this whole process. It's really no wonder J.J. jumped at the opportunity to come back when it presented itself. He's already so deeply entrenched in the ST as a whole. It's really his vision when it comes down to it.

Side-note, but I also get the sense that even back in 2015 Trevorrow was being looked at by J.J. and Rian as something of a black sheep or absent third wheel. J.J. didn't even mention him. He just gushed about his and Rian's collaboration and shared vision.

Q - You can see how the universe gets so big so quickly, first toys and games and then Episode VIII and IX, with directors Rian Johnson and Colin Trevorrow coming aboard. I know VIII is Rian’s movie, but you’ve no doubt created story questions in Episode VII that have to be addressed. Do you know how the answers play out? Or are those moments still unspooling?

J.J. - The script for VIII is written. I’m sure rewrites are going to be endless, like they always are. But what Larry and I did was set up certain key relationships, certain key questions, conflicts. And we knew where certain things were going. We had meetings with Rian and Ram Bergman, the producer of VIII. They were watching dailies when we were shooting our movie. We wanted them to be part of the process, to make the transition to their film as seamless as possible. I showed Rian an early cut of the movie, because I knew he was doing his rewrite and prepping. And as executive producer of VIII, I need that movie to be really good. Withholding serves no one and certainly not the fans. So we’ve been as transparent as possible.

Rian has asked for a couple of things here and there that he needs for his story. He is an incredibly accomplished filmmaker and an incredibly strong writer. So the story he told took what we were doing and went in the direction that he felt was best but that is very much in line with what we were thinking as well. But you’re right—that will be his movie; he’s going to do it in the way he sees fit. He’s neither asking for nor does he need me to oversee the process.

Source: https://www.wired.com/2015/11/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-interview/
@MyOnlyHope
At this point JJ will also have seen Rian's script
Those two knew what they were doing Smile   So the story he told took what we were doing and went in the direction that he felt was best [u]but that is very much in line with what we were thinking as well.   Reylo in the air Very Happy
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 9:21 am

@MyOnlyHope wrote:This quote from J.J. is even more powerful in light of The Last Jedi. I don't even know what not to bold. J.J. and Rian were fully transparent with each other in developing their stories. They've been collaborating throughout this whole process. It's really no wonder J.J. jumped at the opportunity to come back when it presented itself. He's already so deeply entrenched in the ST as a whole. It's really his vision when it comes down to it.

@MyOnlyHope

"But JJ will retcon everything Rian did!!!" LOL. I remember reading this interview before TFA came out. Its quite illuminating to go back and look at old interviews now that we have context through TLJ. JJ basically saying that Rian had the vision to do what he wanted and LF were happy with it as it lined up with and followed through on plot threads JJ set up.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 9:23 am

@Kylo Rey wrote:

@MyOnlyHope

"But JJ will retcon everything Rian did!!!" LOL. I remember reading this interview before TFA came out. Its quite illuminating to go back and look at old interviews now that we have context through TLJ. JJ basically saying that Rian had the vision to do what he wanted and LF were happy with it as it lined up with and followed through on plot threads JJ set up.
@Kylo Rey

When I read idiotic comments on the web, all I need to do is remember this quote.  It's solid gold.  @MyOnlyHope thanks for sharing this glorious little nugget!
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 10:43 am

@MyOnlyHope Thanks for digging this up! Yeah, you get the impression from his gushing that JJ LOVES Rian and Ava DuVernay, who both had input on TFA, specifically about Rey and Kylo. And that he probably wanted Ava for IX but for whatever reason (either Disney's choice or she prefers projects more in line with the stories she tells, like A Wrinkle in Time) Trevorrow got handed that job as part of his 'falling up' narrative which started with Brad Bird taking a shine to him because "he reminds me of me." Every comment I've read from him, Rian, and most important Kasdan has been diplomatic but very much "he's doing his own thing." Which apparently didn't work out. There should have been at least one woman with an actual screenwriting (though we can guess Carrie Fisher wrote some of TFA and TLJ's stories and scripts) and/or directing credit for this trilogy given the franchise's track record, the protagonist being a woman, and LF's slate of female leadership over the ST. But if you have to 'settle' for a writer/director to handle the conclusion of Rey's trilogy, you really can't beat JJ because he's actually up there with GdT and Kasdan as men who actually know how to write women characters.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 10:44 am

Yeah, "JJ will fix it" is the dumbest mantra ever. Fix what? he started it all and then approved the follow up. End of.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemlake on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 1:16 pm

@MyOnlyHope
Thank you for posting that article!  I knew JJ had talked about his work with Rian in more detail, but I couldn't remember where.

"But what Larry and I did was set up certain key relationships, certain key questions, conflicts. And we knew where certain things were going."
The fan boys who are outraged by TLJ constantly bemoan the trilogy's lack of planning.  But that's because they fail to understand the trilogy's "key relationships" and "key questions".  The trilogy isn't centered on Luke, or Snoke, or the Knights of Ren.  Rey's parentage is relevant only to the extent that it furthers her character arc.  The trilogy is about Rey and Kylo, and the dynamic between them.  That's where the planning and coordination are most evident.

Gemlake
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 6:54 pm

@MyOnlyHope

This is so great. I swear we need a Google Doc or something that compiles nuggets like this as one big evidence bucket for there being at least some amount of foresight and storytelling. I wonder if after Ep. 9 other fans will make annoying articles and videos and lists about stuff like this (i.e. 14 Reasons That Prove Disney Planned The Star Wars Sequels, How J.J. Abrams Was The Secret Mastermind Behind Star Wars, All The Ways That Lucasfilm And Disney Fooled Star Wars Fans For Years, etc.) Because I am SO ready for it. Very Happy
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 1:39 pm

@californiagirl wrote:

@MyOnlyHope

This is so great. I swear we need a Google Doc or something that compiles nuggets like this as one big evidence bucket for there being at least some amount of foresight and storytelling. I wonder if after Ep. 9 other fans will make annoying articles and videos and lists about stuff like this (i.e. 14 Reasons That Prove Disney Planned The Star Wars Sequels, How J.J. Abrams Was The Secret Mastermind Behind Star Wars, All The Ways That Lucasfilm And Disney Fooled Star Wars Fans For Years, etc.) Because I am SO ready for it. Very Happy
@californiagirl

Here ya go: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rfW_d-I1d3m_FfruGrjcWSYHJGmF-2X9QgSFPmyH92g/mobilebasic

From @ikolism on twitter.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 2:49 pm

@Gemlake

I agree with you. Also I think the fans had too many expectations regarding the last jedi. Moreover, many think that there are no explanations. Snoke's death for the fans was a nightmare. Rey's family, my God, how many arguments
  that I heard. all this was used to develop the dynamics between Kylo and Rey. And then when Rian said that the relationship between Kylo and Rey is in the center of the film, I do not know if the fans are deaf or what. I understand if maybe they're sad for Luke but hell if the director, the marketing is preparing you to see our protagonists closer than they should be
you can not complain and deny , c'mon
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 3:16 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:
@californiagirl wrote:

@MyOnlyHope

@californiagirl

Here ya go: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rfW_d-I1d3m_FfruGrjcWSYHJGmF-2X9QgSFPmyH92g/mobilebasic

From @ikolism on twitter.
@Kylo Rey

Thank you! I had some dim memory of something like this but couldn't remember who or where. There is certainly a Venn diagram of evidence for Reylo and for the idea that there was some degree of actual storytelling/planning/continuity.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 7:56 pm

Interesting that Lawrence Kasdan admitted to having some knowledge of the full arc of the ST back in 2016. He said he felt involved with steering the story. Well we all know now that he was the one who came up with the idea of the force connection between Rey and Ren in the interrogation scene. Also he was describing the energy between them as sexual/romantic way back in 2013 (the story group didn't say the words outright, but we all know what they were talking about). There are honestly lots of gems in old interviews. I'll keep looking around.

Q: The Star Wars movies that you had your hands on seem to have more emotional depth and they really resonate. We’ve all watched them thousands of times and it seems like Han Solo really shines in the ones that you’ve got your hands on.

Lawrence Kasdan: Well, I love Han.

Q: Is he what brings you back?

Lawrence Kasdan: Well, yeah. I was originally going to just write Han, but I had contracted to be in the story group on Episode 7, which became “The Force Awakens.” And then there were problems. A wonderful writer, Michael Arndt, just couldn’t do the time pressure, and people were being hired in England and it was enormous pressure and he stepped away. We stayed in contact and he’s a lovely man, then J.J. [Abrams] and I took over, and now I found myself instead just doing Han and consulting on “Force Awakens,” we were actually writing Episode 7 together and it happened very fast.

Q: Are you aware of the complete story arc of the new trilogy? Are you involved with that too?

Lawrence Kasdan: (Laughs) I have a little information!

Q: Are you helping steer that story?

Lawrence Kasdan: [Star Wars Episode 8 Director] Rian [Johnson] is a friend of mine. I’m getting to know Colin Trevorrow, who is going to direct Episode 9, so I feel very involved with it.

http://www.scified.com/news/lawrence-kasdan-talks-han-solo-a-star-wars-story

Last edited by MyOnlyHope on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
MyOnlyHope
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum