Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project Luminous/High Republic Era

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Project Luminous/High Republic Era  - Page 2 Empty Re: Project Luminous/High Republic Era

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 04 Apr 2020, 4:05 pm

I think they just don't realise how dated this is.
George Lucas himself decided that the Jedi were too good to be true, which was why they fell. They needed to evolve.

Instead DLF are keeping them in a kind of statis. It's the 21st century and no one likes fanatics.

And it's impossible to identify with the perfect.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Project Luminous/High Republic Era  - Page 2 Empty Re: Project Luminous/High Republic Era

Post by vaderito on Sun 05 Apr 2020, 5:14 am

Yeah, dated is the right word. It strikes me as safer Legends aka old EU and those books weren't exactly literally phenomenon. So if this is their attempt to expand fandom beyond most die-=hard who would read the books I don't think they'll succeed.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sun 05 Apr 2020, 5:35 am

I've just spoken online with someone who read the TROS novel - and apparently Rey never mentions Kylo/Ben again after he saves her. Not to Finn, or Poe. Not even to tell them he saved her.
I'm honestly astonished. I thought it was simply poor editing in the film, but it's the same in the book.
There goes my last trace of respect and liking for Rey as a character.
It makes her new name stink even more. She takes after grandaddy. He was an uncaring self serving b****** as well.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 05 Apr 2020, 2:35 pm

Weird, since they bothered to have her comment that it was like she had half of herself die with him. On the other hand, it probably would have taken pages on her part to explain to Finn and Poe, who knew literally nothing about her connection prior to this.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sun 05 Apr 2020, 3:06 pm

Well, maybe it should have taken pages. Ben Solo deserved that much.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 05 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm

@motherofpearl1 Pages of dialogue that summarize what the reader/viewer already knows and witnessed makes for poor writing, and stomps on the happy tone they attempted to shoehorn as the end of TROS. I don't like it either, but the movie might be rendered even more nonsensical if they still kept the "happy" ending with the Resistance BFG pals and the Luke/Leia ghosts, while also making it more depressing and pointless by lingering on Ben's death. They painted themselves into a corner on this one, the story is very poorly set up for such a mourning. I'm almost surprised they let her reflect a little in the scene on Exogol at all.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Mon 06 Apr 2020, 12:22 am

It's not the a sith way to treat a major character, but an appalling way to end the Skywalker dynasty.
,"Oh look - the last Skywalker didn't measure up, so we'll choose a new one."

Since when did the Skywalkers become synonymous with perfection ?
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Tue 07 Apr 2020, 6:00 am

The origin of this is really a comic book crossover, only instead of one super hero crossing over with another and another, it’s different publishers crossing over with each other, with one story or character leading into another.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-high-republic-interview

So... like Marvel. Copying Marvel, hoping that it will a safe base for making then multibillion movie adaptation if fans like these characters and stories. Yeah, yeah, it will totally work, Marvel needed only 50+ years of this, bunch of movies with not-so-great BO and then 10+ years of cinematic universe. Pfff, Lucasmouse will do all of it in 3 years.

They are so obsessed with the money here that they will fail. Trust me. It won't be easy 1.5b BO anymore, and comics+ books won't help. Let's not forget that they will easily ignore the stuff people loved in these books because... because this kind of idiocy is exactly what usually happens.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 07 Apr 2020, 6:34 am

Someone much wiser than me summed up Rey's journey in TROS as a 'beginning, not an end.' They likened it to when a superhero starts out on their quest. Rey has become the New Hope (hence Ben 'giving her back to the galaxy') and the lone Superwoman, capable of anything, including healing with a touch and getting everyone to immediately adore her, and dressed in her new superhero costume with her brand new lightsabre, watched over by the ghosts of her surrogate parents, and is ready to begin her adventures in comic books. Minus of course that nasty undeserving boyfriend who's not good enough for her, and is required purely to feed her his life force.

Terrio has been writing Supergirl. And how many bets that once the dust has settled LF will create a comic book series featuring Rey the Ronin?
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Tue 07 Apr 2020, 1:40 pm

The idea of adaptations of SW comics or books is so entirely foreign. The entire basis of the EU was that it was, well, the expanded universe, it was extra and separate from the films. I assume they're not doing the more lucrative Old Republic because they want to jump straight to films or shows or games.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 07 Apr 2020, 2:19 pm

I honestly have no idea what they are going to do.
And unless it concerns Ben Solo, I have no interest.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Thu 09 Apr 2020, 7:54 pm

One of those Fandom Menace people took it upon themselves to redesign (re: hypersexualize) the main blond lady of the High Republic stuff, because they thought she looked "too masculine." Almost like a comic book or video game character with exaggerated features. Whee. You might not be thrilled with the HL characters, but really, will these people never be happy? I doubt LF would actually do such a thing, as they're trying to sell to kids as well, and they've gone to some lengths to not repeat slave-bikini Leia. But of course that's what people want apparently.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Fri 10 Apr 2020, 1:59 am

Honestly I was fine with slave Leia, because of what she did at the end, instead of being seen as Jabba's victim she instead went down in history as the Huttslayer!

But JJ's behaviour with TROS is truly bizarre. One one hand, he gives the dudebros what they want - killing Kylo 🙁, getting rid of Rose, FS Finn, big bad villain - yet he turns Rey into the Mary Sue the dudebros hated.

I think three things motivated him.
Retconning TLJ
Indulging his cast
Making his own version of what he wanted a SW film to be since he as a kid. And they hired a writer who shared his vision.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum