Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official TROS Spoilers discussion

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Official TROS Spoilers discussion - Page 13 Empty Re: Official TROS Spoilers discussion

Post by californiagirl on Mon 15 Jun 2020, 11:16 pm

@motherofpearl1 Oh my bad, I couldn't tell, since I know you don't like Rey so much anymore. Smile
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Official TROS Spoilers discussion - Page 13 Empty Re: Official TROS Spoilers discussion

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 16 Jun 2020, 1:30 am

And it saddens me, you know.

I loved her in TFA, and most of TLJ.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Thu 18 Jun 2020, 7:29 am

Hey everyone. How's it going? Had to take a break for my health from all the tros conflama.

So what is this Charles Soule interview I keep hearing about?
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 18 Jun 2020, 9:38 am

Yes, I'm curious about that, too.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Thu 18 Jun 2020, 10:17 am

It's the one What the Force did with the Ben Solo/independent bookstore charity a couple months back. It's actually very good and intelligent, and Soule clearly cares so much more than Terrio and his ilk, about both his own SW stories and actually reading the rest of canon. Some of the other authors, like the one who wrote the RR novel, in turn was reading his stuff. Even the guy writing the new Poe book sent it to Soule so they could all try to be on the same page. Look at that, people trying to avoid continuity errors.

But he also has a rather pessimistic view of the force, that's a bit controlling and manipulative, which is somewhat un-George Lucas-like, and for that reason didn't mind Ben dying so much as others. For some reason people started conflating this with that Filoni comment from the TROS book about being structurally irredeemable, which itself may be taken out of context. It was a whole mess.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 18 Jun 2020, 10:31 am

You know, I find it puzzling that over the years the Force has taken on the traits of a sentient being, when in the OT it was described as an energy field generated by life itself.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Thu 18 Jun 2020, 1:54 pm

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/06/adam-driver-kylo-ren-backstory-cut-star-wars-films-1202238452/

Kylo Ren turned to the dark side after waking up one night during his training to find mentor Luke Skywalker thinking of killing him. But what if his anger started developing long before that? “The Magicians” author Lev Grossman is finally sharing outtakes from his big 2019 Vanity Fair preview of “The Rise of Skywalker,” which was the first major feature written on the final entry of the Skywalker saga. Grossman spoke to the entire cast for the article and told Inverse this week that he left out something big: Adam Driver’s backstory for Kylo Ren.

“I think probably the thing that was missing for me, I wanted to see more about Kylo’s childhood,” Grossman said of the latest “Star Wars” trilogy. ”I thought they would go back to show us more about why he turned to the dark side. [Adam Driver] had a lot of interesting thoughts about Ben Solo’s childhood.”

“This is actually something Adam Driver said,” Grossman continued. “He said that both Han Solo and Leia were way too self-absorbed and into this idea of themselves as heroes to really be attentive parents in the way a young and tender Kylo Ren really needed. There wasn’t really that much of it in the movie so I just think we have to assume his childhood sucked.”

From the sound of it, Kylo Ren’s emotional trauma ran much deeper than Luke Skywalker’s betrayal. Turning Han Solo and Leia into self-absorbed parents would’ve better explained the volatile resentment Kylo had for his parents across the latest “Star Wars” trilogy, although Driver is such a precise actor that you can still see his created backstory for Kylo in his performance.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 18 Jun 2020, 2:19 pm

I've noticed that the same people who hate Kylo see Han, Luke and Leia as perfect godlike beings.

If you look at history, some of its finder people are hopeless parents.
I have been ripped apart on other forums because I said this. And defended Kylo.
But I'll keep doing it!😁
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by fuhry on Thu 18 Jun 2020, 4:12 pm

@motherofpearl1 The funny thing is that TFA clearly sets both Han and Leia but especially Han as having a troubled relationship and parenthood. How could one not miss that? Han starts the film having returned to his life of petty crime! and Leia's been cast out of something. And they haven't seen their son in years.

Every time I think about all the ways TFA made me wonder 'what happened?'. And how basically none of those questions got answered.
fuhry
fuhry
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 19 Jun 2020, 12:58 am

I saw some of the dumpster fire over what Charles Soule said or didn't say and what were people expecting?! At this point in time, running off to any of the creators hoping for validation or closure is a Fool's Errand for so many different reasons. Nobody involved is going to say anything which goes against their contract NDAs. Not to mention how the last movie was handled by a completely different team (who are now in senior leadership positions at LFL) who clearly disagreed with the previous movie. They're not going to talk about how people had different opinions about the characters and stories and whatever the original early ideas were got scrapped. It's unfortunate because the final movie really stands out not being entertaining or iconic, but "people bought into these stories 4-5 years ago with the hope of a payoff and that never happened."

What is hella tacky is that the interview appearance was thanks to a charity fundraiser and was meant as a fun/positive thing. The people who complained or stirred up trouble, even if they donated that was way out of line.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Fri 19 Jun 2020, 4:04 am

Which is why I've decided after forty two years that I'm no longer a SW fan. I've never seen Rebels, or The Clone Wars, and I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the EU, and stuff ?Ike Legends, and KOTOR.
Star Wars was all about the Skywalkers and Solos, especially the latter.
I was extremely reluctant to see TFA, knowing what Han's fate was, but I ended up loving the first two films and it was mostly due to Kylo. I liked Rey, I liked Finn, but Kylo was the character I loved - even more than Be. Solo, although I found him adorable!
I truly love TLJ. It's my favourite SW film. But TROS was probably the most disappointing cinematic experience of my life. I watched in utter disbelief as the likeable, relatable Rey was elevated to the status of virgin goddess, Finn was reduced to her groupie, Rose erased and Kylo....words can't express my fury at Kylo's'fate. It's quite simply a horrible, dull B movie.
And DLF's response is to give it's makers major roles in the company. Rewarding failure.

I have zero desire to see any more adventures of the dull Rey doppelganger and the two fawning acolytes who trap after her like male dogs after a female dog in season. These aren't the characters I invested in. And the SW universe has a big Kylo shaped hole in it.
I'm done. I do not blame Adam one bit for wanting nothing to do with these morons.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Fri 19 Jun 2020, 9:21 am

I get the impression Adam is gone for the same reason none of the other actors are actively doing SW roles, their trilogy is done, and LF and/or Disney stopped caring about them even before that.

Adam's backstory for Kylo seemed pretty on par with the EU versions.

So much of Reylo fandom is centered around George's idea of the force, that I'm not surprised people flipped when our Ben fan/hero Charles Soule said something different. Still seems like an awfully strong reaction to try cancelling him, and it ignores all the other great things he said. He doesn't do many podcasts, and despite the general success of the interview, the response probably hasn't convinced him to do more.

Anyway, found a great thread from someone who just rewatched TROS exactly 6 months after it's release. https://twitter.com/tsukhood/status/1273879056145137668
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by unicorn on Fri 19 Jun 2020, 9:52 am

This guy delivers a good summary of this desaster of a movie.
And to read this description was (as always) more entertaining as the movie ever was.
unicorn
unicorn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Fri 19 Jun 2020, 10:48 am

Mary and Joseph of Alabama.....loved that one.

Hi guys might be a bit quiet on here over the next few days, I've just been accused of racism.
Love you guys
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Sun 21 Jun 2020, 7:00 am

I'm still dying inside a little when I remember that moment when Kylo says "You're a Palpatine". Imagine going to the theatre without knowing any spoilers at all and then hear this with your own ears for the first time. That's a pure comedy, like this looks so hysterically absurd that it feels like some kind of tragedy on a meta level. Did they rewatch their own movie after editing? How the heck they were watching this moment and did NOTHING about it?

They just gave up at that moment I think. They added this bullsh*t "You're a Palpatine" at the last moment, after the whole editing was mostly done, and they just gave up on their own preoject because they understood that all of this is unsalvageable disaster.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sun 21 Jun 2020, 8:04 am

What they did was bump up Rey's character at the cost of every other character in the film. Poe was just a copy of Han, Finn was hopeless, both followed Rey around like groupies. Rose was criminally underused, Hux wasted. But the character who really suffered was Kylo, who spent the first part of the film rehashing his role in TFA, and the last part wasn't even given any dialogue.

The problem is.... Rey's just not very interesting. I don't think this is as much Daisy's fault as how she was written, but she was at her most dramatic when interacting with Kylo. Watching TROS, where much of her screen time was as part of the Trio, really shows her shortcomings. Making her so good to be true doesn't do her any favours.

I wish the writers had watched Furiosa in Mad Max Fury Road, Ripley in Aliens and Yennefer in The Witcher to see how to write truly powerful yet human, females. Instead JJ shoved Rey at us because she's his favourite.

Unfortunately I was sick and tired of her half way through the film. After Ben's death I walked out, not because I was angry, which I was, but because I couldn't bear another scene with Holy Rey and her groupies.

When I later caught the ending on YouTube I was profoundly glad I left when I did.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 21 Jun 2020, 12:57 pm

I don't think Rey got bumped up at all. Every character ends TROS less than how they started. Way to rip away everything they had to begin with. I always thought the worst part of TROS was that it didn't like its own characters, and that the filmmakers didn't think anyone else did either.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais on Sun 21 Jun 2020, 3:05 pm

@californiagirl wrote:I don't think Rey got bumped up at all. Every character ends TROS less than how they started. Way to rip away everything they had to begin with. I always thought the worst part of TROS was that it didn't like its own characters, and that the filmmakers didn't think anyone else did either.
@californiagirl

I agree, looks like they didn't like any character. What they did with Rey, their main protagonist, was awful.

Well, I only saw this news and it's very sad. I mean, we had our hearts in this saga, we cared about the characters, we spent time of our life thinking about it, and they didn't have respect for their own story.

Official TROS Spoilers discussion - Page 13 Oscar10

Source: indiewire
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sun 21 Jun 2020, 3:48 pm

I did read somewhere that he liked TLJ, and I can't blame him, because*** or not Poe was at his best. He wasn't Han's third rate rip off but his own character. Oscar's acting was also great, especially when he asked Holdo to give them hope.
Sad thing in that scene.....I think she was going to tell him her plan, but he saw that she was downloading fuel into the transportation carriers and came to the wrong conclusion.
In that scene, you saw how Poe genuinely cares about the Resistance. He wasn't just a flyboy.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv on Sun 21 Jun 2020, 5:36 pm

@Atenais wrote:
@californiagirl wrote:I don't think Rey got bumped up at all. Every character ends TROS less than how they started. Way to rip away everything they had to begin with. I always thought the worst part of TROS was that it didn't like its own characters, and that the filmmakers didn't think anyone else did either.
@californiagirl

I agree, looks like they didn't like any character. What they did with Rey, their main protagonist, was awful.

Well, I only saw this news and it's very sad. I mean, we had our hearts in this saga, we cared about the characters, we spent time of our life thinking about it, and they didn't have respect for their own story.

Official TROS Spoilers discussion - Page 13 Oscar10

Source: indiewire
@Atenais
Official TROS Spoilers discussion - Page 13 Mind-tricks-dont-work-on-me-only-money
Geralt_Riv
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by fuhry on Mon 22 Jun 2020, 11:20 am

@californiagirl wrote:...

Anyway, found a great thread from someone who just rewatched TROS exactly 6 months after it's release. https://twitter.com/tsukhood/status/1273879056145137668
@californiagirl

I find these types of rants so cathartic.
fuhry
fuhry
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 22 Jun 2020, 11:34 pm

Honestly the more time since the movie came out, the more I think of it as some failed camp experiment. It could have been Showgirls level of camp and ridiculousness with "You're a Palpatine" (except not really, actually Palpa-Failed Clone), "They fly now?! They fly!", or the Light Saber burial. But it doesn't even have the conviction to embrace the opera side of space opera that even the PT managed to do. Which in retrospect the saddest/funniest thing about TRoS is that JJ so clearly tries to 'redeem' the Saga from everything the purist OT fans hated about the PT and in the process made a movie that's worse than the PT and which also goes against the logic/themes/heart of what was written for the OT.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 23 Jun 2020, 1:20 am

If there is one thing I find really annoying, it's these constant 'abuse' accusations levelled at Reylo.
On some forums, every time they insist 'Kylo is a manipulative , abusive whiny neo fascist murderer who doesn't deserve Rey'....
I honestly have to grit my teeth and ignore it because I just know I'll lose my temper and get banned if I answer them back!

Perhaps even worse.....some are now saying that the Han/Leia relationship was also 'abusive'because he kept harassing her.
Give me strength! He knew she was attracted to him, but refused to admit it.

Just what do we want men to be like these days?
Passionate? Sexy?

Or meek little mice who are afraid of strong women?

I'm honestly sorry for the younger generation.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Tue 23 Jun 2020, 2:42 am

@special_cases wrote:I'm still dying inside a little when I remember that moment when Kylo says "You're a Palpatine". Imagine going to the theatre without knowing any spoilers at all and then hear this with your own ears for the first time. That's a pure comedy, like this looks so hysterically absurd that it feels like some kind of tragedy on a meta level. Did they rewatch their own movie after editing? How the heck they were watching this moment and did NOTHING about it?

They just gave up at that moment I think. They added this bullsh*t "You're a Palpatine" at the last moment, after the whole editing was mostly done, and they just gave up on their own preoject because they understood that all of this is unsalvageable disaster.
@special_cases
This comment took me back... aka... triggered my trauma!
I don’t have to imagine- I experienced it!
I can tell you what my experience was of watching the Rey is a Palpatine reveal for the first time. I was avoiding leaks and the only spoiler I knew was that Ben died.
From the start of the movie it felt... off.. but I was engaged and hopeful and didnt expect perfection, I was just plain ready to love what the movie gave me. But...
When the Rey you are a Palpatine line hit, I remember my reaction like it was yesterday...
My reaction was: oh noooo they’ve screwed it up, this is really actually lame and... I can’t pretend otherwise!
It was the moment in the movie where I realised uh oh this was gonna be a dogs breakfast.
It wasn’t even that Rey was a Palpatine, it was just the way it was done. Just thrown in there with a big fat clunk, the sound of thousands of fan hearts being broken by its lameness...
Ahhhh I’m gonna go enjoy Kasiopea’s new panels of goodness to cheer myself up..
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 23 Jun 2020, 2:54 am

Oooh ....has she updated?
You know, I noticed how silent the audience was throughout TROS. Not even a giggle at the supposedly funny bits.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum