Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Year On - What's it like for you?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

One Year On - What's it like for you?  - Page 3 Empty Re: One Year On - What's it like for you?

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 2:58 am

Agree with you regarding TFA, I personally absolutely loved TLJ, but I still feel terribly disappointed in TROS and frankly I wonder if I'll ever be able to watch the first two films again after that horrible ending.
The worst thing is not only Ben's fate, but how they have completely destroyed Rey as a character....she was immensely likeable in TFA and most of TLJ, but TROS made me absolutely loathe her. As a result, I'm finding it hard now to even read reylo fanfic. It doesn't help matters that DLF refuse to accept what they did, and even seem proud of it. And their attempts to win us over with yet another 'prequel' is not going to work - they sealed Ben's fate and we know it. What's the point of yet another 'backstory'?
As for Rey....I may be wrong but I would not be a bit surprised if the future sees a comic or book series featuring Finn/Rey...they've already laid the groundwork with the Lego Xmas special.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

One Year On - What's it like for you?  - Page 3 Empty Re: One Year On - What's it like for you?

Post by Kyla Ren on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 5:01 am

@Kylo Ren's 8-Pack wrote:I'm still disappointed in the ending to the series.

I just watched 'The Force Awakens' a few days ago here at home and was reminded of how promising it all started.
So many GREAT moments in that film...and when certain scenes come up I immediately think of this Forum and the hours upon hours of discussion we would have about truly deep interperatations.
The hypothetical thinking, the discussions of meaningful representations within the film's settings and cinematography, and even down to the old 'heart shapes in his eyes!' debate...gawd it was a great period!
TFA is still a entertaining film, but for me it is SO disheartening to watch now knowing where it's all going to lead - two disappointing films and a very disjointed and ( IMO ) uncalled for 'ending' for Ben.

Despite having said all of that, I DO still have a desire to re-watch TLJ and TROS sometime to reexamine and revisit certain scenes.
I only saw TLJ once....upon release....and was not motivated at all to view again.
TROS I saw twice ...upon release....and although disappointing, I enjoyed it more then TLJ.

Rey and Ben deserved better.

-
@Kylo Ren's 8-Pack

TFA was my favorite of all the Star Wars movies but I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch it since TROS.  It just makes me sad that they wasted so many interesting characters and plot threads that ultimately went pretty much nowhere.  Not to mention what they did to Ben Solo. Sad  Reylo could have been epic and they completely ruined it.  I guess we’re lucky we even got a kiss. Sad  I still can’t get over the whole thing.  I guess I sound melodramatic, but I don’t think I’ll ever get over it.  I was very invested in Reylo and the ST and I really feel so let down by the whole thing.

I, too, was disappointed in TLJ.  I just think it could have been so much better all around.  I am glad, though, that at least it did continue to move the Reylo storyline forward.  And I would be curious to know where Rian would have taken things if he had done Episode IX.

The whole ST now just makes me sad now because it did have such a promising start.  It’s hard to believe that we ended up with the mess that is TROS.  And I really feel like it ruined the entire Star Wars saga.  They ripped apart the happy ending in Return of the Jedi to give us what I feel was a very bleak and depressing ending in TROS.  All the Skywalkers dead and Rey alone in a desert, right where she started.  To this day I am truly stunned that they thought this was the way to go.  I really find that incredible.

But I’ll always remember all great discussions here and all the fun of analyzing and speculating in the years between films.  That is at least one bright spot in all of this. Smile
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 5:14 am

@motherofpearl1 wrote:Agree with you regarding TFA, I personally absolutely loved TLJ, but I still feel terribly disappointed in TROS and frankly I wonder if I'll ever be able to watch the first two films again after that horrible ending.
The worst thing is not only Ben's fate, but how they have completely destroyed Rey as a character....she was immensely likeable in TFA and most of TLJ, but TROS made me absolutely loathe her. As a result, I'm finding it hard now to even read reylo fanfic. It doesn't help matters that DLF refuse to accept what they did, and even seem proud of it. And their attempts to win us over with yet another 'prequel' is not going to work - they sealed Ben's fate and we know it. What's the point of yet another 'backstory'?
As for Rey....I may be wrong but I would not be a bit surprised if the future sees a comic or book series featuring Finn/Rey...they've already laid the groundwork with the Lego Xmas special.

@motherofpearl1

I think they really did a bad job with a lot of the characters, including Rey.  I can’t believe that they didn’t even show her mourning for Ben after he gave his life to save her.  Instead they just show her sledding down a sand dune.  Unbelievable.  What an awful ending.

I’ve just recently started reading fan fiction again.  I read a “fix it” fic the other night and I cried through most of it, even though it had a happy ending.

I totally agree about any kind of prequel that would involve Ben before he turned.  What is the point if they’re not going to fix what they did to him and the rest of the Skywalkers?  They really just don’t get it.  I don’t know if they’re stubborn or just incredibly clueless or both.

I sometimes think about future comics or stories that might feature FinnRey or DameRey and it really makes me both sad and irritated.  I live in fear and dread of that.  And that Lego special was just awful.  I only watched it once and have no desire to ever watch it again, so I don’t remember the scene exactly, but there was that one part where Rey sees Kylo and calls him Ben like she was sad that he was still up to his old tricks and I don’t even remember what happened next, but I remember thinking something like, “Oh, this is not good for any kind of future Reylo”.  Everything Disney/Lucasfilm does just seems to make things worse.
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 7:00 am

They seem to have a particular hatred for reylo, I'm afraid, and it's all because of the tedious 'toxic relationship' brigade. On other forums I've seen reylos slated for being 'racist' (thank you John Boyega), despite many women - and men - of colour enjoying the ship, and of course, supporters of abusive relationships - all because some with weird mindsets think Kylo's interrogation of Rey is a form of sexual assault.

I am absolutely certain that people with these attitudes destroyed on screen Reylo as DLF were so anxious to please them they essentially threw what could have been SWs greatest love story away in order to do that. Ben's fate was designed to satisfy the 'woke women' brigade, Finn becoming Force sensitive is to please Finn/Rey fans, as well as JB himself. But...I also think Abrams' friendship with Daisy and John played a big part in it. They wanted more screentime together and JB has made no secret of the fact he wanted Finn/Rey.
Hence what one critic referred to as the 'almost vengeful' deconstruction of TLJ, which pushed reylo a lot, despite the ending - which I blame more on studio interference than RJ.

Ultimately the entire franchise, at least for me, was trashed by the dog's dinner that was TROS. Never in a million years did I ever dream I'd lose my love for SW, but Abrams and his partner in crime Terrio ended it with one terrible film. I am no longer interested now in anything SW, from Mando to Project Luminous. The only way I would ever regain my affection for it would be the return of Ben Solo, but as they have zero intention of doing that the saga is now dead to me. They won't miss me of course, they have their woke women and Finn/Rey fans plus new fans and those who enjoy SW even without the Skywalkers, but as I've said before, to quote Jon Snow 'my watch is ended.'
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 11:39 am

Happy New Year! I have not been on the forum for a while.

My view of TROS a year later.....it is a really bad movie. I watched it in the theater once and at home twice. This movie is now in the category of movies I will snark on because it is so bad.
I still like Star Wars but I am not invested in it anymore like I was with TFA and TLJ. My husband and kids enjoy The Mandalorian and I will watch the show with them. But I am not really invested in the story or characters. A couple of the episodes were good but I find most of them meh.

I find myself now really annoyed with the cowardice of LF. How they gave into the toxic fanbase and entitled fans in my age group who think Star Wars should be all about them instead of our kids. I feel like Rian pushed the franchise beyond nostalgia for LF and they in turn couldn't handle the heat so they doubled down on nostalgia. Which I think is short sighted and has a chance of ruining their brand. They should have held their ground with the short sighted/selfish fans who want to relive our childhoods. It will make it harder for them to break those bonds when and if they try to expand beyond nostalgia.

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 1:57 pm

There is a film I love but was ruined by a desperately sad ending. So I watch it but turn off the ending. I was hoping to do the same with TROS, but the entire film is so awful it's impossible for me to watch it more than once.
What really bugs me is the Trio. Every time they came on the screen I wanted them to hurry up and get out of the way so I could see Kylo! It might be because I'm a big Kylo stan, but the problem is I keep comparing them to the OT trio and finding they weren't a patch on them!

Anyone already posted this, I'm sorry.
https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/luke-skywalker-damaged-high-republics-launch/
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 7:31 pm

@motherofpearl1 wrote:There is a film I love but was ruined by a desperately sad ending. So I watch it but turn off the ending. I was hoping to do the same with TROS, but the entire film is so awful it's impossible for me to watch it more than once.
What really bugs me is the Trio. Every time they came on the screen I wanted them to hurry up and get out of the way so I could see Kylo! It might be because I'm a big Kylo stan, but the problem is I keep comparing them to the OT trio and finding they weren't a patch on them!

Anyone already posted this, I'm sorry.
https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/luke-skywalker-damaged-high-republics-launch/

@motherofpearl1

I can't stand the "trio".  I felt so forced and artificial.  It was like they felt they had to put it in for fan service to try to imitate the original trio of Luke, Han, and Leia, and it just didn't work.  It really felt like they just dumped it in there for no other reason than trying to give certain corners of the fandom what they wanted.  It was so obvious.  And in the end, it didn't work.  The whole movie was just such a mess.  I just have no words for how awful it was.

Thanks for posting that link.  It was interesting.  I guess ultimately we'll have to wait and see what happens with Disney Star Wars in the future, but as of now, I really don't have much interest in it.  After what they pulled with TROS and Ben Solo, I really don't trust them with anything.  And it seems that right now, all a lot of fans want is to see Luke "light the green" and single-handedly slash through an entire army of bad guys, and that's what Disney is going to give them.
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Wed 13 Jan 2021, 1:30 am

Thing is, I can't even watch that knowing that Luke's only descendant, his nephew, is dead. The Skywalkers are all gone, the past is past, the future is destroyed. Unless they use this to reveal Luke had a secret love child or something, but if they did that it would take away the 'impact' of Rey, Rey, Rey being the 'chosen heir' whatever.
Lord, it's such a disaster.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Wed 13 Jan 2021, 6:17 am

TLJ for me is really frustrating nowadays. There’s soooo much to love about the Rey/Ben/Luke part of the story, but almost everything else has depreciated really badly, and out of the five character arcs the movie is attempting, only two - Ben and Luke - really work, and IMO Ben’s is the only one that works all the way. Finn and Poe’s arcs are a mess, and while Rey’s interactions with Ben are wonderful her character on her own is a mess as well. I do think that Rian genuinely tried to elevate the new heroes to something more than TFA’s superficial likeability, but in the end it just exposed their failures as characters.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

MindAndMagic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Wed 13 Jan 2021, 11:25 am

I actually kind of liked the Lego holiday thing, but maybe it just reminded me I missed the ST characters in general and felt they hadn't been loved enough or given enough attention by Disney. I thought the complete absence of referring to Rey as a Skywalker or Palpatine was telling on their end. But it did indulge in Rey hero-worshipping various previous characters (all male) that made me cringe, seemed like a backwards step.

SW is past the TROS era now, I think. Between High Republic, which people seem to be into, the 50 shows announced (I'll probably be avoiding the Ahsoka and Rangers ones because of Rosario and Gina), also they just announced more video games, they seems to be be focusing on basically whatever people can do in their homes during quarantine until the next movie comes out in a few years. And who even knows when most of the parks can open again. Disneyland has been closed for 10 months and the vaccines are only trickling out.

Though I'm more immediately interested in watching Kelly in that new animated warrior Disney princess movie.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Wed 13 Jan 2021, 11:40 am

Good for Kelly, I'd love to see her as Rose interacting with Ben, both had unrequited love for other characters.
Beg pardon but what happened with Rosario and Gina?
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by karamelreylo on Wed 13 Jan 2021, 12:56 pm

Okay, so I don’t actually know that much about the extended universe of Star Wars. I’m familiar with the term High Republic and know it was quite a bit into the past, but could someone please tell me more about the era? I don’t really understand the excitement around it.

karamelreylo
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Wed 13 Jan 2021, 3:40 pm

Gina is full on alt-right, transphobic, spreading conspiracy theories about the election and covid, she's anti-mask wearing, and is on this hyper-alt-right site Parler, she's even kind of down with the riot storming the US Capitol this past week. Rosario has also had allegations of assaulting a trans person. They're both just icky, it's unfortunate they both get major parts of the Mando spinoff stuff, almost everyone I follow is going to avoid them.

High Republic is the republic and Jedi at their peak, until they turn garbage-y and dogmatic like in the prequels. I suspect, given what I've heard about the Acolyte show they're making eventually, this is all a big preamble for the prequels. They're currently doing a big publishing effort for this version of canon, there's a cartoon coming, they're pushing it all really hard right now.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by karamelreylo on Wed 13 Jan 2021, 5:24 pm

@californiagirl wrote:Gina is full on alt-right, transphobic, spreading conspiracy theories about the election and covid, she's anti-mask wearing, and is on this hyper-alt-right site Parler, she's even kind of down with the riot storming the US Capitol this past week. Rosario has also had allegations of assaulting a trans person. They're both just icky, it's unfortunate they both get major parts of the Mando spinoff stuff, almost everyone I follow is going to avoid them.

High Republic is the republic and Jedi at their peak, until they turn garbage-y and dogmatic like in the prequels. I suspect, given what I've heard about the Acolyte show they're making eventually, this is all a big preamble for the prequels. They're currently doing a big publishing effort for this version of canon, there's a cartoon coming, they're pushing it all really hard right now.

Any chance for romance, or will it just be like typical monk-like Jedi adventures?

karamelreylo
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Wed 13 Jan 2021, 6:29 pm

@karamelreylo I've heard the two books that just came out were surprisingly character-driven, I think there's some amount of romance. Don't know how it will end up, especially if it leads to the Jedi getting all weird and monk-like.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by karamelreylo on Wed 13 Jan 2021, 7:06 pm

@californiagirl wrote:@karamelreylo I've heard the two books that just came out were surprisingly character-driven, I think there's some amount of romance. Don't know how it will end up, especially if it leads to the Jedi getting all weird and monk-like.
@californiagirl

*sigh* That would suck.

karamelreylo
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 14 Jan 2021, 2:18 am

To be honest, I have very little affection for the Jedi, especially post 'noble virginal Jedi Rey', but I think it's probably because I personally am not interested in 'prequel' era SW because for me SW is all about the Skywalkers/Solos, and Terrio and Abrams have made sure they're gone forever.

I'm also very very cautious about Mando now they've introduced Young Luke, because I have this horrid feeling they will 'retcon' Ben's involvement with the temple destruction and it will be revealed he killed Grogu, or some such.

Years ago one of my favourite book series ended with my favourite character dead, which terribly depressed me, until some years later it was revealed he had a long lost daughter. I was thrilled to bits - but for some reason they retconned it. Turned out she wasn't his daughter after all, and this was done so she could have a romance with his nephew, who was possibly one of the most boring characters in fiction.

Disney are very fond of retcons, as shown by TROS retconning TLJ, and their repeated resetting of the opinion polls on their website, where Kylo was shown to be the most popular character in the ST, shows they are not above petty spite. So nothing would surprise me these days. I see them eventually showing how 'evil' Ben/Kylo 'actually' was, so people will get behind a nice wholesome Finn/Rey relationship.
If they do this I hope by then I'll have distanced myself from it enough to not care. Otherwise I might stage a 'symbolic burning' of the merchandise I've still got!
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum